Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > General Topics (Non-regional) > General Spearfishing & Diving Discussion

General Spearfishing & Diving Discussion This is where you post to discuss general spearfishing topics that could apply to any region.

Old 01-17-2019, 01:11 PM   #16
TheMackDaddy
hoos your daddy?

Re: Tethering Shark Shield to the tip of fin w/o drilling hole in fin?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuzzA View Post
If you want a marine adhesive that won't come off you should use 3M 5200. You could then attach a piece of plastic to hold your loop of bungee/mono.

It will be a bitch to get 5200 off, but with some elbow grease you'll eventually be able to clean it up and bring the fin back to its original condition.
i think i will try 5200, glueing a small (2-3 cm) flat piece of plastic onto the corner of the fin, with a hole and line through the edge of the flat piece of plastic.

The fins have an epoxy coat so they are very slick, but 5200 sounds like it is meant for such surfaces. The other option may be to glue a thick piece of mono running along the end portion of the blue rail (inside the groove) and attach a thinner piece of mono to a loop (or albright knot) on the thick mono, if that makes sense, this would avoid gluing anything onto the blade

I am also curious to try using a bobber on the tip of the SS tail, with no tethering to the fins, this would have the least interferences with my kick and hydrodynamics i think, because tethering messes up the performance of the fin

Thanks for the suggestions.

Last edited by TheMackDaddy; 01-17-2019 at 01:21 PM.
TheMackDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 01:38 PM   #17
popgun pete

It is a wonder given how many years the shark shield has been around that they have not built it into a fin or created some streamlined gadget that adds a whip tail to the blade of the fin. As sharks sneak around behind you or come up at an angle from the rear as they use the advantage of surprise then the electric field is more effective at your rear so that is the reason for the trailing leash. Plus it distances the potential shock from you.
popgun pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 03:47 PM   #18
TheMackDaddy
hoos your daddy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by popgun pete View Post
It is a wonder given how many years the shark shield has been around that they have not built it into a fin or created some streamlined gadget that adds a whip tail to the blade of the fin. As sharks sneak around behind you or come up at an angle from the rear as they use the advantage of surprise then the electric field is more effective at your rear so that is the reason for the trailing leash. Plus it distances the potential shock from you.
the reasons you mention about how sharks approach is the only reason i don't like the cork idea. i mean it should still work, but i'd rather have the tail hanging down instead of on the surface so the tail is the first thing the shark reaches during his approach
Old 01-23-2019, 01:04 PM   #19
SEA_ARCHER
The Ocean is Calling

There's an idea for a company. Someone needs to make foot pockets with shark shield retention clips built in.
SEA_ARCHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 04:17 PM   #20
JohnAndrew
@spearingdestin

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMackDaddy View Post
I've always drilled a small hole in the outside corner of the blade to tether the tail of the shark shield to the fin so it doesn't flip back during descent and shock me.

I've done this even with carbon fins, but i have new alchemies now that i don't want to void the warranty on nor drill through them because they are so damn pretty.

making a hole at the end of the rail seems like it might eventually rip the rail off the fin or just rip through the rail since the rail is not as strong as hard plastic.

any one have any ideas for how to accomplish this? I was thinking mabe a strip of tape running along the end of the blade that has a loop of fishing line under it

wondering if there are any better ideas out there?
I've been diving with my SS for a bit and have never had it flip back and shock me. Maybe have your dive buddy take a look at you, when diving and see if your entry or kick need to be cleaned up a little.

Old 03-24-2019, 11:42 AM   #21
TheMackDaddy
hoos your daddy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAndrew View Post
I've been diving with my SS for a bit and have never had it flip back and shock me. Maybe have your dive buddy take a look at you, when diving and see if your entry or kick need to be cleaned up a little.

its a problem that happens to enough people for SS to actually have an article about tethering to the FIN on their website to address the issue.

it never happens at the start of the dive or while kicking (you have enough speed to keep the tail behind you at those points) it happens at the very bottom of the descent where I'm free falling but then slow down or stop. the tail has to go somewhere at that point and it sinks and lands on you

To update on my initial post, nothing worked, every type of glue came off instantly almost. I ended up drilling a very small hole in the corner of the fin.

Last edited by TheMackDaddy; 03-24-2019 at 03:37 PM.