Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Boating > Marine Electronics

Marine Electronics Knowing where our dive spots are located and what is the depth for our dives make our marine electronics very important.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-07-2013, 12:28 PM   #1
Gulfshot

RayMarine Dragonfly

Anyone got one or seen one in action? Looks like the new technology could definately pick up structures/ledges for diving. I currently have an older Garmin 188. The GPS is solid, but the fish finder portion not very impressive.
Gulfshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 03:23 PM   #2
WESTBURY

Re: RayMarine Dragonfly

Saw some screen shots on the hull truth website.
Looked really good!

WESTBURY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 03:34 PM   #3
xrispearo
you cant see mee

if your just learning about this sorta thing. Check out Lowrance StructureScan
Old 05-07-2013, 06:12 PM   #4
WESTBURY

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrispearo View Post
if your just learning about this sorta thing. Check out Lowrance StructureScan
Structure scan is side scanning. Dragonfly is CHIRP. Two different things.

I thought I read that Lowrance was going to integrate the two though?

WESTBURY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 08:38 PM   #5
xrispearo
you cant see mee

lowrance has "downscan" thats part of their structure scan which is the same thing as "chirp"

thats why i said look at the lowrance, it has both, a whole lot more and its been out longer
Old 05-07-2013, 08:56 PM   #6
Prowler@c
Carlos

Lowrance has. The new HDS Gen 2 touch units are both. Digital souner and structure scan. They also have an all in one ducer that does both in a transom mount.
The digital sounder is capable of using up to 1k ducer which will provide great detail at depth better that 1000'.
The structure scan does side imaging as well as down imaging. Down scan functions great till about 250' to 300'. The fanning width of the beam only allows it to work well for shallow water.
I have structure scan on my Simrad and it does a great job helping me find wrecks and rocky bottom all the time.
The Raymarine unit looks like a pretty good unit though.
Prowler@c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 01:15 PM   #7
Gulfshot

I did check out the you tube video on "Structure Scan." It does look like very high quality sonar, but not quite as crisp as the Ray Marine's downscan. I can see the benefit at deeper depths. But normally my boat does not see much deeper than 40 feet, unless we trailer down to the Keys.

Plus, I like the whole user friendly approach. It took me a long time to master my current Garmin setup on my boat. The Dragonfly looks pretty much plug and play.
Old 08-25-2013, 08:10 AM   #8
MikeDuval

The Dragonfly is great! I own a marine electronics business so I deal with this stuff everyday and see a lot of it. The ease of use and images from the Dragonfly really are topnotch and having the quality from Raymarine is a huge plus too. Now just to clarify, Chirp and Downscan are NOT the same thing. Downscan (which is the Lowrance and Simrad term. Down imaging is the universal terminology) is the high resolution/imaging coming from the high frequency of the transducer.That's where the the picture like images of structure come from. Chirp is an acronym (Compressed High Intensity Radar Pulse) Chirp runs a higher frequency than traditional sonar and instead of using the typical 50/200khz signals it sweeps a range of frequencies. This gives you better imaging and target separation. It's cool stuff! Especially when you see the sonar light up with fish. So after all that, I'd highly recommend the Dragonfly. Personally, I'm not a Lowrance fan. Seen too many issues and dealing with their parent company Navico can be a nightmare.
MikeDuval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 07:10 AM   #9
Water Boy76
Hardbottom Houligan

This technology at the Dragonfly price is very interesting to me. Will be interested to hear some real world feedback from users over the next months.
Old 08-26-2013, 08:23 AM   #10
kmoose
Team Headhunter

It is much, much smaller in real life then how it is depicted in online photos. I'm not sure how easy it would be to focus on it in a small boat bouncing around. I was considering it for a back up but it was just too small a viewing area to be practical for me.

Last edited by kmoose; 08-28-2013 at 06:55 AM.
kmoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 07:47 AM   #11
Baldy

Send a message via MSN to Baldy

I agree that the resolution and ease of use on the Dragonfly is compelling so I was actually thinking of putting two Dragonfly units side by side. They are just under 6" diag. so with two you have the effect of 6x12 screen plus you have a failover if one unit goes out. You could leave one as chartplotter and split screen on the other for the two sonar pictures. You could buy both with one TM ducer and charts on one for around $1000 these days.

However, I'm also intrigued by the touchscreen features which seems like it would be helpful on a chartplotter (pinch to zoom, panning, etc). Does anyone find the touchscreen to be very helpful?

I also think the Lowrance stucturescan would be helpful (like side scanning) as many times the GPS numbers I have seem to be 30-40' off (maybe they were old Loran #'s converted). So I start doing circles and 10 mins. later find the spot. Would structurescan help me see the spot faster and does it work well in saltwater? Some have said it really only works well in freshwater.
Baldy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 07:36 AM   #12
searaydiver
Capt. Bob Roemer

I have several bottom finders on my boat, two Humminbirds and the Dragonfly. One of my birds is the sideshooter that is fantastic, the other bird is the down imaging. When comparing the down imaging to the dragonfly, the fly has it over the bird to a degree. This is a side by side viewing comparison. The fly has a little better defination and seems a bit more realistic and the price is fair and at market value for this type of unit. Yes, I have recommended it and would buy another if needed. The side shooter is my right arm when it comes to locating structure. I had to learn what I was looking at but in a short time I was finding spots that I never know about near areas that I have dove for years. I was almost ashamed of myself for not knowing about them! Getting back to the chirp, if you have limited dash space, this unit is the one for you. It is easy to navigate thru the screens. The only downside that I have found is getting waypoints into it. I believe that they could have been a bit more creative and made this a bit easier.
Old 11-19-2013, 08:16 AM   #13
Gulfshot

Thanks for everyone's feedback. Looks like I have a Dragonfly on my Christmas list. I have found them online for under $600 with gold charts included. Hoping to get out this weekend as Gag season is soon to close.
Old 11-24-2013, 04:18 PM   #14
divingdesigns
Brian

I just put the Dragonfly on my 17 foot Boston Whaler, I have not had it out yet but it looks to be a good unit and the reviews I read were positive. I am sure it will take some transducer adjustment to get things right but that's how most transom mounts are. The transducer is long, 8" total so it stick out a ways off the transom. I thought about a touch screen system but with wet fingers and gloves and all on a small open boat I am glad I chose a non touch screen. The Dragonfly has simple menus and is rather easy to use in the GPS chart mode. So many of these units have gotten so complicated that you cant figure out how to use more than 15% of the system. On a boat that I don't use every other day or weekend it is nice to have something that you just turn on and see where you are.

www.Redwoodempiredivers.org
A family friendly Skin and SCUBA dive club out of Santa Rosa CA

www.Montereybaytritons.com
A freedive only dive club thats meets in Monterey CA
divingdesigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 04:49 PM   #15
searaydiver
Capt. Bob Roemer

I had to move my transducer twice to get the best results. I hated that I had to drill more holes but that's what 5200 is for. It reads fantastic up on plane even in a hard turns. My hull is a mod. v. You'll love the unit. Don't forget about the side shooter. If you have the room, it will be a good compliment to you're structure locating arsenal.