Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All About Guns

All About Guns What's your weapon of choice, and why? Discuss the beloved speargun here!

Old 03-13-2017, 07:34 AM   #46
Dr.P

Re: The Monobloc Twins

First shot ever on a fish with Twin #1:

Had pretty good vis, decently long shot in the ballpark of 15ft. Slip tipped shaft punch through the entire fish to the shooting line. They work
Dr.P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 07:56 AM   #47
jstiver09

Boom! Nice cobe!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jstiver09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 08:23 AM   #48
Behslayer

Goood Eats!
Behslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 08:29 AM   #49
Freedvrjim
straight shooter

Thumbs up Re: The Monobloc Twins

Gorgeous gun! Nice you got some blood on #1
Old 03-13-2017, 12:43 PM   #50
Dr.P

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstiver09 View Post
Boom! Nice cobe!

Awww yeah. We're overdue for some shooting too...
Old 03-13-2017, 12:43 PM   #51
Mango Tango

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.P View Post
First shot ever on a fish with Twin #1:

Had pretty good vis, decently long shot in the ballpark of 15ft. Slip tipped shaft punch through the entire fish to the shooting line. They work
Fantastic fish! One of the better fish I've seen taken on a SUP on this side of the country.

Let me know next time you're headed out lemme know, I'm dying to get out and do some SUP hunting with you!
Mango Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 02:59 PM   #52
spearq8

Nice fish ... all the hard effort paid off!
spearq8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 06:06 AM   #53
kavachi
the deeper the blue.....

hat off to you Dr P! the Twins are stunning, and thanks a mill for taking the time to vid, edit and share!
Have been sitting here in the middle of the ocean contemplating the flawless slab of Vitex of my new build, thinking how much sweeter an integral handle wld be than a bloody bolt-on, and BOOM! you drop that edit.
With 400m of blue water on my doorstep I'm not sure I'm disciplined enough to apply anything north of 400 grit to this weapon before dunking it, but thanks mate for showing what basic tools and elbow grease can achieve.
and looking forward to seeing what that beautifully weighted creation lands in bluewater
kavachi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 02:12 PM   #54
fishmustdie
Power's on!

Your guns are truly beautiful!

Dr. Craig Petersen D.C.
fishmustdie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 06:28 PM   #55
kavachi
the deeper the blue.....

hey Dr P, just wondering how those twins of yours are going, after having dived with them for awhile - any tweaks? anything you would have done differently? twin 9/16 bands enough grunt? have watched that build clip a bunch of times, gold!
kavachi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 06:51 AM   #56
Dr.P

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavachi View Post
hey Dr P, just wondering how those twins of yours are going, after having dived with them for awhile - any tweaks? anything you would have done differently? twin 9/16 bands enough grunt? have watched that build clip a bunch of times, gold!
Yes, actually I have made a few adjustments for my latest batch of guns. Regarding the "monobloc" aspect, no, I wouldn't change a thing. I've found it more and more difficult to find just the right piece of wood, but ultimately I think the Search is worth the effort. All the guns I have built so far are still dead straight after diving, heat, cold, and even some abuse. I've glued up a few blanks that I'm using on some really big guns, but I only did that for fun really and to have a wider starting blank for the larger guns.

Also, I love that after beating the guns up, all I have to do is a quick sand and they shine like new. The Tung finish is really holding up great.

If you notice in the pictures, I made these with "hidden" pin holes for the mechs. I had never seen this done before and wanted to give it a try just from an artistic perspective. It is still perfectly functional, if needed, but I'm the kind of guy that loves to pop my mechs in and out and tinker and all that, and it's just an extra hassle. I probably will never do that again, but they look beautiful.

I have also changed my lines just a bit to make them more aggressive and bold on my newer guns, but the functional ideas and lines still remain.

The functional set up with 14.5mm small ID bands and 8mm shaft is perfect. I have never been lacking for power with these guns.

I am also making my newer guns to hold the shooting line out on the side of the gun instead of running up under the bands. It doesn't make a functional difference from what I can tell, but makes me feel better and I think it looks nice.

Lastly, I've grown to dislike the metal muzzle. I'm glad I used them because the biggest thing I learned was how I can situate the bands in the gun more efficiently. Ultimately, I'm going to go back to a wooden muzzle because:
1: It looks better
2: It works better
3: I hate little screws
4: I can now make a wooden muzzle with the same or less "wasted space"
5: I can't say for sure but I think the wooden muzzles will prove much more durable
6: As with most aspects of these builds, I would not feel comfortable with anything but paduak. ...and with the metal muzzles... honestly not sure how people trust those little screws in soft, perishable wood like mahogany.

I want to try one of the new roller triggers in one of my bigger guns, but I hate that they only screw into the top of the gun. I just feel a lot safer with all that power actually pinned through a few inches of padauk.

...that's all so far, though I'm sure I'll continue to learn and make changes. Ill keep this thread up to date, as well as the others.
Old 07-06-2017, 05:17 PM   #57
kodama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.P View Post

I want to try one of the new roller triggers in one of my bigger guns, but I hate that they only screw into the top of the gun. I just feel a lot safer with all that power actually pinned through a few inches of padauk.

...that's all so far, though I'm sure I'll continue to learn and make changes. Ill keep this thread up to date, as well as the others.

I imagine there is some place where you can drill a hole or two to accommodate pins in those new roller mechs without compromising functionality.

Sent from the abyss
kodama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 05:43 PM   #58
spearq8

I am also not a fan at all of the Abellan SS muzzle and it is certainly one of the things that could be changed to make the gun better. I am not too concerned about the small screws being weak, but rather the problem is that they will easily break if you try to unscrew them off. I have had to do a deep root canal to remove a broken screw several times ... and it not something that is fun to do. They should at least use thicker screws on that muzzle so that they don't break when you unscrew them.

As for the roller trigger needing side pins ... actually that is totally unnecessary if you set the trigger in properly. I have actually shot the gun while forgetting to put the 2 front screws in and it worked perfect. You just recess room for the arms to sink into the stock and have a nice good fit for the trigger. If you still are worried, the back screw is wider than the front two screw holes and will allow you to have a thicker bolt rather than a wood screw ... you could put a threaded end cap with a hole and have that hole fixed with a pin in the gun and then you just screw the screw from top into the end cap ... this would still allow you to move the trigger up or down to fine tune track mating. I did think of doing that once but no longer feel it is necessary. Initially I had also thought of having a slotted hole rather than a pin hole on the trigger box ... as for me the trigger seating is absolutely crucial and I wanted to be able to still move the trigger up or down while the pin was across. There is a pin hole available at the front of the trigger which can also be used (used to facilitate putting the trigger together). Again I don't think that a through pin is necessary and actually being able to fine tune the trigger height really is a huge bonus. Sometimes different shafts have different fittings and I like to have my shaft just barely make it inside the trigger pocket as that gives the most stable shaft flight.
spearq8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 05:52 PM   #59
Dr.P

Quote:
Originally Posted by spearq8 View Post
I am also not a fan at all of the Abellan SS muzzle and it is certainly one of the things that could be changed to make the gun better. I am not too concerned about the small screws being weak, but rather the problem is that they will easily break if you try to unscrew them off. I have had to do a deep root canal to remove a broken screw several times ... and it not something that is fun to do. They should at least use thicker screws on that muzzle so that they don't break when you unscrew them.

As for the roller trigger needing side pins ... actually that is totally unnecessary if you set the trigger in properly. I have actually shot the gun while forgetting to put the 2 front screws in and it worked perfect. You just recess room for the arms to sink into the stock and have a nice good fit for the trigger. If you still are worried, the back screw is wider than the front two screw holes and will allow you to have a thicker bolt rather than a wood screw ... you could put a threaded end cap with a hole and have that hole fixed with a pin in the gun and then you just screw the screw from top into the end cap ... this would still allow you to move the trigger up or down to fine tune track mating. I did think of doing that once but no longer feel it is necessary. Initially I had also thought of having a slotted hole rather than a pin hole on the trigger box ... as for me the trigger seating is absolutely crucial and I wanted to be able to still move the trigger up or down while the pin was across. There is a pin hole available at the front of the trigger which can also be used (used to facilitate putting the trigger together). Again I don't think that a through pin is necessary and actually being able to fine tune the trigger height really is a huge bonus. Sometimes different shafts have different fittings and I like to have my shaft just barely make it inside the trigger pocket as that gives the most stable shaft flight.
I agree that a nice tight pocket almost makes the pins or screws secondary. ...and I think the screws would be acceptable in a hard wood like padauk. I was just thinking about them in something like mahogany that can easily rot. Has always made me a little nervous, but you make good points. If you need to adjust height, that's the only way to go. ...all my Mori shafts scrape right in under the roof, his tolerances seem to be tight, so that hasn't been an issue yet for me.
Old 07-06-2017, 09:35 PM   #60
jstiver09

The Monobloc Twins

The muzzle is actually very strong, as the bands pull back against the solid wood and when designed correctly do not touch the stainless. But, it is personal preference on the looks. I have people tell me that it is their favorite part of the gun...to each their own. The screws are quite long but Majd is right they will break if set into the wood with epoxy. I don't think going larger is the fix, but rather using a stronger material than 316 stainless...

jstiver09 is offline   Reply With Quote