Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All About Guns

All About Guns What's your weapon of choice, and why? Discuss the beloved speargun here!

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-19-2014, 01:28 PM   #1
spearq8

Wetsuit designed to withstand major damage from shark

This summer while spearfishing and getting great hits on King Mackerel, I got bumped by a large bull shark. I still don't know if it was trying to bite me or whether I accidentally backed into it while it was investigating what I was up to. Although I have had many many run ins with sharks while spearfishing, this was different as the shark actually bumped hard enough into me that I thought I was hit by a log or some other debris. Although it freaked me out when I saw the shark, what was even more freaky is that it charged me several times and had to fend it off several times with my speargun. It followed me all the way to the boat that was about 200 yards away. I am pretty sure that if it had taken a bite out of me I would have had a hard time making it to the boat and surviving another 2 hour boat trip back to shore. I also watched on Discovery channel where a spearfisherman in Florida had exactly the same thing happen to him but in his case the shark actually bit him and severed his femor artery (but he somehow survived the trip back). Again,I have had tons of run ins with sharks as most spearos have, and usually don't even bother to even change locations unless the shark starts getting too aggressive or if there are too many sharks to keep an eye on. Most of the time the problem is not that I worry about the shark biting me but that it might take the fish I catch. But I will be the first to admit that this summer encounter has me spooked!

Anyway I recently bought a puncture proof and cut proof glove for fishing and couldn't help but think that something like that would be great for a wetsuit. You really don't need full 100% protection, just enough so that you don't get cut bad. If the wetsuit is not flexible or comfortable enough, I doubt any spearfisherman would use it ... but if it feels like a normal wetsuit ... hell why not! I know that graphene is the new wonder material and probably soon a wetsuit will come with it that protects against bites, but I did some research on google and found this ... anyone try something like that or know of a similar product?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_GejPYOAolk#at=320

Last edited by spearq8; 12-19-2014 at 01:37 PM.
spearq8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 02:25 PM   #2
Behslayer

Re: Wetsuit designed to withstand major damage from shark

They make something similar, I think it's called a Powerhead.
Behslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 03:34 PM   #3
popgun pete

Years ago Ron and Valerie Taylor filmed experiments with a linked chain mail suit that went over the top of the wetsuit. The metal mesh was similar to that used in butcher's gloves. The idea was to use the suit when photographing sharks. It afforded some protection from cuts, but would not protect against crush damage if a big one grabs hold of you. Sharks usually bump prior to taking a bite, the bump is a test to check you out as sharks are percentage players and want to see your reaction.
popgun pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 04:20 PM   #4
spearo #uno
Senior user

I hear you. I had a closed call some years back hunting over the Caribsea wreck with a lg. sandtiger that just wanted to eat and din't wana quit. Long story but in short..was on scuba I never saw him, it all took place very very fast. Came over my head and took the fish on the shaft, turned, then came n took the fish bag right out of my hands, came right back again and bit into the muzzle and with a sling in his mouth we went for a little side by side ride untill one of the sligs broke and I was able to get in a possition to defend myself. I had a PH on me. Did alot of thinking over the following weeks about it. When I came up and took the gear off I found I had a broken tooth in one of my fingers so it got close and I got lucky, don't even remeber my hand been in his face.
To your point..A better suit in this case would not have helped but having another set of eyes looking around would have made all the diffrence in this case and avoiding the hole incident all together.
spearo #uno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 04:58 PM   #5
cldomson1
Converted freediver...

Shark shield works well. Especially on scuba.
C
Old 01-01-2015, 03:09 AM   #6
lordyaussie
Sam G

Yeah I would be worried about the crush damage however recently the shark attacks I've been hearing about - several of the fatalities were from bleeding out 'I think'

Its a nice idea and I'll like to see it in the shop (not sure I would buy it though), however as the neoprene ages and is rendered too old I wonder how one could salvage the valuable Kevlar.
Thus chainmail my be better and could also act as a nicely distributed weight vest ... without a quick release so that is a bit of a dead end.

Very sad that here in the West Coast of Oz this week we lost another spearo who was far too young, the GW then turned on his dive buddy who was able to get his gun in its mouth and pull the trigger thankgod.
Rest in peace Jay Muscat (17), you will not be forgotten.
http://www.9news.com.au/national/201...-killed-friend
Old 01-01-2015, 03:41 PM   #7
popgun pete

Yes, it is a tragedy that we seem to be hearing more of these days. Big sharks such as Great Whites may be resurging in numbers as their food supply recovers because historically sealing nearly wiped out their warm blooded prey in the old days. More seals, more big predatory sharks. A worrying aspect is shark memory and "operant conditioning", for what they need to do sharks are fast learners. If you don't know the latter term read this http://dba-oracle.blogspot.com.au/20...of-sharks.html.

Kevlar is only stronger than steel in tension, it would be no good for resisting the cutting and shearing action involved in a shark bite. A chain mail over-suit could create electro-sensor problems as the shark checked you out like any metal object in the water with its system of receptors in its snout. Think of the treatment an outboard motor leg receives from a big one.
Old 01-01-2015, 04:23 PM   #8
SpearMax
Forum Administrator

Question Re: Wetsuit designed to withstand major damage from shark

Quote:
Originally Posted by popgun pete View Post
Kevlar is only stronger than steel in tension, it would be no good for resisting the cutting and shearing action involved in a shark bite. A chain mail over-suit could create electro-sensor problems as the shark checked you out like any metal object in the water with its system of receptors in its snout. Think of the treatment an outboard motor leg receives from a big one.
Good points Pete.

Is there a metal or composite material you know of that has the bite resistant qualities needed?

Tony
SpearMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 05:55 PM   #9
popgun pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpearMax View Post
Good points Pete.

Is there a metal or composite material you know of that has the bite resistant qualities needed?

Tony
None that I know of in the material thickness required for a suit that you could wear while diving and I guess we are not talking about a submersible, articulated armoured suit that could double-up as a personal submarine. The shark's bite pressure is enormous, so the only protection that a tough-to-cut material would provide is if your hand brushed past its open mouth. If you were that close then you would be in trouble anyway, especially with the saw and shearing action toothed sharks, hence even chain mesh gloves are not going to be much help as they can catch on a tooth and pull off.

Chain mail/mesh suits can be found here:http://neptunic.com/products/sharksuits

Last edited by popgun pete; 01-02-2015 at 02:43 PM. Reason: more info
Old 01-02-2015, 04:53 PM   #10
lordyaussie
Sam G

Wow, those were some great posts, thankyou Pete
Old 01-03-2015, 03:29 AM   #11
splitfish
Spearboard Sponsor

Neptonic Systems

Great Whites 669 PSI
Bull Sharks 1250 PSI
splitfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 09:05 AM   #12
spearq8

I think the idea should not be a suit that protects you 100% from every species and every size of shark out there. Something like that would be useful for abalone divers or professional divers that work areas where frequent run ins with large sharks are common and expected. Those type of divers already use cages and probably would not feel safe wearing a wetsuit as protection no matter how well it resists shark teeth. I think if the wetsuit would resist partially a shark bite and feels and acts like a normal wetsuit then it would be something that many people would want to have. Most initial shark bites are exploratory in nature and I would bet the vast majority of shark bites could be survived if a person would not have a wound that bleeds him to death. In the video the material seems to be able to give some sort of protection and I guess you would need to decide how many layers of protection you need depending on the danger level you will face and how much freedom of movement from a normal wetsuit you are willing to give up. Also a shark can be pretty fussy about what they eat, and my guess is that if they feel that the texture is not normal and their teeth do not feel they are going to normal flesh ... they most likely will give up the idea that you make a good meal. It certainly is something I would like to see developed!
spearq8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 08:15 PM   #13
P-Dub

This hurt. What is more painful than the bite itself and subsequent damage is the wrist and shoulder damage from the sheer impact force....
P-Dub is offline   Reply With Quote