Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Miami and The Florida Keys

Miami and The Florida Keys Have a report, or want to discuss spearing in Miami or the Keys? Post here!

Old 09-26-2002, 09:34 AM   #1
Divin' fool
EC Reformed FREEshafter

7 mile bridge area

Anybody hunt the 7 mile bridge area? Have gotten some pretty nice (for the keys) Hogs and "missed" some nice Grouper there. Vis is just too good and current too fast to spear em'.
This year was awesome for bugs around the pilings. I found a spot around Bahia Honda that had at least 150 lobster on it before the season (min. 50 keepers).
Old 09-27-2002, 07:35 PM   #2
BentShaft

I didn't think you were allowed to hunt near a bridge. I also thought the entire keys were a marine sanctuary and hunting within 3 (?) miles of land was a no-no? I would like some info on this subject as I saw a lot of keeper sized hogs and grouper when I was down there lobstering. I don't know if I would tote a gun with me while I was buggin' though.
BentShaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2002, 06:24 AM   #3
f94gator

I'm not sure of the exact law, but you can't use a speargun within a certain distance from shore, so I can't imagine it's ok to hunt around the 7 mile bridge.

That brings up a good question though. Let's say you can't use a speargun within 3 miles of shore - that sounds right, but I don't know. Does that mean it's ok to spearfish in the dead center of the 7 mile bridge, since you ARE 3 miles from land? I doubt it, but who knows.
f94gator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2002, 07:24 AM   #4
johnhermes

WRONG! The three mile rule is from Long key north to Key Biscayne. In Marathon, you can shoot from the 7 mile bridge. The only bridges you can't shoot from are the ones that allow fishing.
johnhermes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2002, 08:16 AM   #5
Steel Shootin'

Spearfishing is prohibited:

1) Within 100 yards of all public bathing beaches.
2) Within 100 yards of all commercial or public fishing piers.
3) Within 100 yards of that portion of any bridge where public fishing is legally permitted.
4) Within 100 feet of the unsubmerged portion of any jetty, except that spearfishing shall be allowed along the last 500 yards of any jetty that extends more than 1,500 yards from the shoreline. (e) In or on any body of water under the jurisdiction of the Division of Recreation and Parks of the Department of Environmental Protection. Possession of spearing equipment in or on any body of water under the jurisdiction of the Division of Recreation and Parks is prohibited except when such equipment is not loaded and is properly stored upon watercraft passing nonstop through such marine waters. Species prohibited from being speared include: billfishes, sturgeon, tarpon, bonefish, goliath grouper (jewfish), Nassau grouper, permit, pompano, African pompano, sharks, spotted eagle rays, manta rays, snook, red drum, spotted seatrout, weakfish, tripletail, and various marine ornamentals (e.g. surgeonfish, angelfish, etc.)
Steel Shootin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2002, 10:17 AM   #6
f94gator

Gee, you’re uncertain about some facts, and John just jumps all over ya!! Man, what’s up with the moderators on this board?!?
Old 09-30-2002, 10:32 AM   #7
richhermes
Nappy Headed Ho

The horse is dead.
richhermes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2002, 11:48 AM   #8
Divin' fool
EC Reformed FREEshafter

John is'nt all over anybody...he's right. I've been stopped by FMP by the bridge many times. No Problem.
Old 09-30-2002, 12:06 PM   #9
f94gator

Yeah, the horse is dead, but it sure is fun beatin' him!!!