Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Florida Gulfcoast Spearfishing

Florida Gulfcoast Spearfishing Post here to discuss regional action or issues about spearing on Florida's Gulfcoast.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 127 votes, 4.97 average. Display Modes
Old 09-15-2018, 08:37 PM   #3031
grey2112

Re: Current Vis - Tampa Bay Region (Homosassa to Sarasota)

A little video of what it was like today at anchor.

grey2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 07:47 PM   #3032
Dbrown

Not what weatherman called for.....again! "Sporty" for sure. I was onshore this weekend. Spoke with a buddy that was out Sat as well and he said it was not calm as your video illustrates.
Dbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 09:41 PM   #3033
SEATUX

At least the water looks good.
I was out yesterday, off Venice, 11 miles out and the stinch of rotting dead fish, and Hundreds of really huge dead decaying fish, bloated and floating on the surface, and in the wake the boat was throwing up green pea soup.
Made a few drops, looked like diving thru black ink!
FINALLY got far enough off shore to find blue water, but no fish, kept going and found blue water ( visibility ) And fish.
Sad..Very Sad.
The stench of decaying fish is unreal.
SEATUX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 08:03 AM   #3034
CatDiver

We planned to head north and went out at Anclote with an idea to run NW 25 miles or so but ran into those seas and they were head seas as well. Up by Anclote, I thought the water looked a little darker than normal, but no dead fish or smell. In the other hand, the entire intercoastal from Park Blvd. ramp to at least Clearwater Pass smelled terrible. Once we changed directions, we ran SW to a spot 25 miles or so out of Clearwater Pass in 85 feet. Water there was nice blue color, no dead fish, no smell. Milky on the bottom and not real fishy. One nice hog and a few lionfish that we made into sushi back home. The run back in was brutal. Red Tide out 20 miles from Clearwater Pass. The worst of it 10 miles and in. Lots of dead fish, gross color, and the smell. All of us had watering eyes, and irritated throats and lungs just running in. I'm not going back out until it moves or improves or the sea state allows us to get to the middle grounds.
CatDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 09:43 AM   #3035
sharpshooter

Every week the red tide gets a little worse and spreads further north. Have friends going to the other coast and Keys to dive. It's the throat irritation with constant coughing. Even after your back for awhile, that sucks. Cough drops and a tea spoon of honey helps.
sharpshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 07:23 PM   #3036
grey2112

50-60 fsw today west of NPR. Also hit the RJ wreck.

At first viz was pretty good (about 15-20 horizontal, and at one point almost top-to-bottom vertical) but it changed throughout the day and at different spots.

Not very fish - water temp at the bottom was still 86 degrees. Got some hogs, mangoes, and 2 gags, including a pretty damn big and fat one by Rich (Seal Rock).

I still think this west wind for days and days has messed up the viz and the water temps are a bitch right now in any depths less than 80 feet.
Old 09-17-2018, 08:02 PM   #3037
R.Boonfield

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey2112 View Post

At first viz was pretty good (about 15-20 horizontal, and at one point almost top-to-bottom vertical) but it changed throughout the day and at different spots.

Not very fish - water temp at the bottom was still 86 degrees. Got some hogs, mangoes, and 2 gags, including a pretty damn big and fat one by Rich (Seal Rock).

I still think this west wind for days and days has messed up the viz and the water temps are a bitch right now in any depths less than 80 feet.
Eric,

Last time I was on the RJ (weekend of st pete open) we got mugged by a pack of aggressive bull sharks. Did you see any sharks?
R.Boonfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 08:04 PM   #3038
grey2112

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.Boonfield View Post
Eric,

Last time I was on the RJ (weekend of st pete open) we got mugged by a pack of aggressive bull sharks. Did you see any sharks?
All we saw was a 3-4 foot nurse shark
Old 09-18-2018, 07:58 AM   #3039
Seal Rock

Quote:

It’s been a busy summer; however, finally got a Gag on my shaft for 2018. Thanks Eric for a great time on the Pelican. It provided all the motivation I need to continue updating and repairing my boat, so I can sell it. I think I see a Contender 27T with my name on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Seal Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 11:15 AM   #3040
grey2112

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seal Rock View Post
It’s been a busy summer; however, finally got a Gag on my shaft for 2018. Thanks Eric for a great time on the Pelican. It provided all the motivation I need to continue updating and repairing my boat, so I can sell it. I think I see a Contender 27T with my name on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
What a stud . . . . . . and the fish isn't too bad, either

Seriously, I agree - 27 Contender for the crappy days and my 23 WC for the not-so-crappy days!
Old 09-19-2018, 06:02 PM   #3041
Koah58

Anybody going out this weekend?
Koah58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 07:25 PM   #3042
dkay

Went NW of Anclote today and saw no signs of red tide. Vis was ttb in 55’ which made gag hunting challenging. Ended up with a nice cooler of mangos, hogs and gags but we had to move around for them.
dkay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 07:49 AM   #3043
Eibwen

20m NW of Anclote we landed on a VERY fishy spot but vis was poor at around 15'. One sighting of a large tiger shark and two 5' barricuda. Another 5m or so put us at 60' where vis was nearly ttb (a dramatic improvement).

Ended up with our limit of mangos from sm - xl, a gag, and two hogfish (took my personal best). Oh and seas were pretty calm at 1ft which was a nice for a change
Eibwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 06:11 PM   #3044
grey2112

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eibwen View Post
20m NW of Anclote we landed on a VERY fishy spot but vis was poor at around 15'. One sighting of a large tiger shark and two 5' barricuda. Another 5m or so put us at 60' where vis was nearly ttb (a dramatic improvement).

Ended up with our limit of mangos from sm - xl, a gag, and two hogfish (took my personal best). Oh and seas were pretty calm at 1ft which was a nice for a change
Nice - was this on any of the numbers I gave you? I'm hoping to get back on some good ledges not-so-far out very soon.
Old 09-27-2018, 06:16 PM   #3045
Eibwen

Quote:
Nice - was this on any of the numbers I gave you? I'm hoping to get back on some good ledges not-so-far out very soon.
To Bonedaddio, yes I believe so. Many thanks
Eibwen is offline   Reply With Quote