Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > General Topics (Non-regional) > General Spearfishing & Diving Discussion

General Spearfishing & Diving Discussion This is where you post to discuss general spearfishing topics that could apply to any region.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-28-2003, 08:31 AM   #1
IyaDiver
Crazy for Dog Tooth Tuna

Dog Tooth tuna from Jakarta - Indonesia

Introduction on some species available in my waters.

The location is on the Indian Ocean side of my city. 250 miles if by boat from my city. By land it is 4 hours drive and 30-40 miles boat ride from the pier of this town. Around this area there is also a nice world class surfing zone, too bad I can't surf.

The dive spot is a shallow sea mount made of rocks about 200 meters diameter. The top is at 65 feet, the bottom meeting the sand is about 120 feet. The area around this sea mount it is about 200+ feet. It is only some 3000 meters from shore. Some few kilometers out to sea, the water drops to a few thousand feet deep. Viz can be good ( 60 feet ) or bad ( 12 feet ) depending on river run off.

A friend told me of this location and I had dove there about a total of 16 dives for the past two months.

I notice this shallow sea mount can be good and sometime dead empty at the same day. Since I come from a city with not much fish in the water, I find this place heaven enough for me. There are two species I hunt here, the Dog Tooth Tuna and the Narrow Barred Mackerel. According to the charter fishing captains if the viz is great they have caught Wahoos up to 20kg/44 lbs around this sea mount. I had a lucky opportunity to spot a few Yellowfin Tuna playing on the surface around this place. I jumped to freedive but the top water viz was crappy at 6 feet. Anyway the YF Tuna were gone by then.

Narrow Barred Mackerel is like what u guys in US called Kingfish/Spanish Mackerel in looks but it taste like Wahoo ( that's what my charter captain said ). This is a commercial fish here, just like a Tuna, very popular too in Australia. The NB Mackerel is not a fast sprinter like Wahoo but I think judging from the videos I got, it is about 80% as fast. The Dog Tooth Tuna is not a very fast sprinter but it's fighting is ever lasting, like Giant Trevaly or Ulua ( Hawaiian ) but does not make knots out of shooting line around rocks like GT.

I was hovering at about 70-80 feet deep and above the deeper part of the sea mount when I saw this Dog Tooth coming. It was some distance but on a shallower level. That day the viz was a good 40 feet, at least. I shot it at about 45 degrees angle upwards when I got its side profile. The estimated 16 feet shot was well placed at an angle. Coming in from right under the right side behind the pectoral fin all the way exiting on its left side in the middle of the gill. The shaft went thru some 12" of flesh and a gill plate. I thought I stoned it because it stoped and started to "yawn" and later wiggle the head to dislodge the Slip Tip. Since my shaft was pointing upwards, the Slip Tip/Ice Pick did not toggle off. I gave it a fast tug on the shooting cable and that's when the Dog Tooth probably realized it was shot. It dragged me round and round the sea mount trying to hit deeper water. Since the Slip Tip was so secured in the flesh and positioned very forward of the fish, I gave it a hard jerk pull everytime it wants to go deeper. It worked, the tuna will change direction. There were only two of us on that dive. My buddy was just looking at my roller coaster ride. I didn't want to waste time and still wanted to do some more shooting, so after some three minutes of roller coaster ride, I signaled my buddy to second shot the fish. He did and I still got dragged for another minute. I brained the tuna after that. I could not un-do both our Slip Tips underwater, so we have to surface anyway. With this size, I am more than happy.

I use a #4 Baja rear handle Riffe at 61" long. 3/8 shafts. 500 lbs coated cable at 3 wraps or about 20 something feet. Bands are 4 x 5/8". The last band on the rest tab, so I call it 3.5 bands instead of 4.

In this location I do not shoot reef species because somehow it annoys me that everytime I am re-setting a gun after shooting something, a big pelagic pass by.....and I got so frustrated. Being able to pull a trigger 2 or 3 times on a fish of my choice for a 30 minutes dive is considered extremely good for me. Out of 5 tanks dive in a day, being able to pull the trigger 7 times is considered awesome for me, mostly 2 or 3 dives in a 5 dives day is empty of fish....sad.

I know Yellowfin and Bluefin tuna is available in US east coast, but do you guys there get Dog Tooth Tuna ?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	riffe s4 sp dog pratu.jpg
Views:	452
Size:	78.1 KB
ID:	1095  
IyaDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2003, 09:22 AM   #2
Dive4Blood
The Wizard Of HOD

Welcome to the Board Iya, keep those international reports coming! On the FL West Coast the only tuna we typically get is blackfin tuna, and those are caught on hook and line. The guys up in the Louisiana oil rigs do get yellowfin and wahoo freediving.

Let us know when you are in FL for a boat show, where we dive in the Middlegrounds it's disappointing if you DON'T pull the trigger seven times PER DIVE.
Dive4Blood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2003, 11:48 PM   #3
100days-a-year
Seafood Sifu

Smile

Welcome,nice fish,nice guns in background.YF tuna just starting to arrive here.Sorry but they're 60 miles offshore.Not to often get a chance .One day
100days-a-year is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2003, 03:41 AM   #4
IyaDiver
Crazy for Dog Tooth Tuna

Thanks DIVE & 100,

If I ever go to the US again ( very unlikely for a long time.. ), I'll drop by to learn how you hunt the middle ground.

Yellowfin Tuna and Wahoo........ still my dream fish....... when when when

The weather is bad now in my place, floods everywhere and strong winds. After March I'll hunt again in my remote area hoping to bag somethig nice. In between I can dive the closer by water but not much worthy fish and might not even be able to pull a trigger in a 3 tanks dive.
Old 03-04-2003, 08:05 PM   #5
Shooter Dan

IyaDiver,

That Rocks! Those Tuna really are sweet! I'd love to face down one in the 70# range. Drop in any time.

What's your scariest thing you've run across diving there?

Thanks
Shooter Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2003, 09:18 PM   #6
Steel Shootin'

Great report, IYA! Man, look at the shoulders on that tuna. He looks like he could pull you around for a while. Sometimes when I shoot a jack, I'll do the same thing you did and try to turn him like I would on rod and reel. That's only if he is real green and fighting hard. When I do that I am hoping that the barb has fully extended.
Steel Shootin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2003, 09:42 PM   #7
IyaDiver
Crazy for Dog Tooth Tuna

Hi Dan,

I have fear for sharks. I don't mind a few reef white tips but the scarriest I seen was a 9+ footer Bull shark or maybe it was a bronze whaler. I don't know, I was 30 feet above it and was dangling down my mackerel. It smelled my mackerel and not biting it, I left the area immed and came back an hour later.
I don't get exposed to many sharks, my hunting area is not very productive, so sharks are not that common too.

Hi Scott,
The Giant Trevaly is a jack that fights very well and cunning, this one is available in my hunting area. They are shaft busters.

Will do more report for you guys soon, now the weather around here sucks.

Later guys.....
Old 03-05-2003, 09:45 PM   #8
inletsurf

Welcome IYA.

Indo's awesome, I cant wait to go one day to dive surf and fish...
inletsurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 09:42 AM   #9
DEATH-BY-SPEAR

Re: Dog Tooth tuna from Jakarta - Indonesia

I am traveling to Indonesia in late September for work. I will be in Jakarta area mostly. How can I meet with other divers / Spearos and get out in the water? I plan to travel with my gear. (Freedive Only) of course. I don't know how to go about diving in Indonesia since I am traveling alone. Please help! Thanks!
Old 05-28-2014, 11:12 AM   #10
Alec

11 years has got to be some type of record.. try posting a new thread
Alec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 12:14 PM   #11
HOLDFAST
OATH Spearfishing Team

i wont one!!!!!

www.rigsreefclassicspearfishing.com

https://www.facebook.com/RigsReefClassic/

Salty Soul Taxidermy
https://www.facebook.com/saltysoultaxidermy/

CoOwner
www.gator-gripp.com

Call or Text me anytime 503-298-0592

HOLDFAST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 04:00 PM   #12
DEATH-BY-SPEAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alec View Post
ha ha true. Thanks didnt see date was that old some how.
Old 05-28-2014, 05:56 PM   #13
kwtony
Snorkel Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alec View Post
In all my years on a myriad of forums Ive never seen an 11 year revival...wow
kwtony is offline   Reply With Quote