Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All About Guns

All About Guns What's your weapon of choice, and why? Discuss the beloved speargun here!

View Poll Results: what is the best rigging line for a big bluewater line ?
Stainless cable 8 23.53%
Dyneema 11 32.35%
Mono 15 44.12%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-18-2016, 04:41 PM   #1
Piero

Best bluewater shooting line rigging ?

In bluewater for a big bluewater gun, what is the best rigging shooting line ?
I don't like the stainless cable because the cable "cut" the fish. The cable is too heavy.
In my water, there is a lot of shark. I can't use dyneema on the ice pick but i can use on the line.
What is your favorite rigging ? Type, size .....
Piero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 05:15 PM   #2
Dr.P

Re: Best bluewater shooting line rigging ?

Benthic 1.9mm dyneema.
Dr.P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 05:17 PM   #3
Alec

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.P View Post
Benthic 1.9mm dyneema.
I've seen yellowfin to 184 and wahoo to 75 landed on the 1.9mm in the past year. I've personally shot AJ up to 100lbs with it. Stuff is way stronger than cable/mono
Alec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 05:41 PM   #4
Behslayer

the thing about Bluewater is that you never really know what is going to happen. There's always the potential to get caught in your lines. So I prefer lines which can be cut incase/when shit happens.
Behslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 05:49 PM   #5
Alec

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behslayer View Post
the thing about Bluewater is that you never really know what is going to happen. There's always the potential to get caught in your lines. So I prefer lines which can be cut incase/when shit happens.
Dyneema cuts with one/two swipes of a sharp knife, yet still holds up amazing on the reef/rigs
Alec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 02:51 AM   #6
spearq8

The Benthic 1.9mm spectra is great stuff and it won't break no matter what fish is on the end of the line and is very stiff. The problem I had was that it dramatically shifted impact point, so I am guessing the velocity drop is quite big. That was with the 1.9mm line, and I do have the 1.7mm and 1.4mm. The 1.4mm might be too thin but maybe the 1.7mm is the best compromise, but certainly I wouldn't use the 1.9mm for long range bluewater hunting. I think if in open water with no structures, you can use the 1.4mm spectra, but nothing beats light 300lb mono for open water when it comes to keeping shaft velocity high. Jon mentions a very important thing with regards safety and ease of cutting the line ... I have had to do that once and would have hated if that line was spectra or cable.

I am also thinking that maybe it is tying a bulky knot what is causing shaft drop, I want to see if I can get away with a crimp. Maybe burning a good ball at the end and then crimping. Anyone try that?
spearq8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 03:02 AM   #7
Piero

A mono 400 lbs is very light for big bluewater species .... not ?
Piero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 03:21 AM   #8
spearq8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piero View Post
A mono 400 lbs is very light for big bluewater species .... not ?
I can't think of a fish that can pull more than 2 x 35 liter floats under water. The most powerful fish in pulling on the line is undoubtedly large dogtooth tuna, and haven't seen them able to pull 2 x 35 liter floats that are properly filled. A 250lb YF tuna will just bob a single 35 L float and even the largest Wahoo might pull a single 35 L float down for a couple of seconds but not more. I think a 35 L float takes about 65lb or 90lb of pressure to pull down (I forgot which) ... so 2 x floats would be around 180lb. Good 300lb mono with no cuts and proper crimping should be able to hold at least 250lb's. Of course if sharks or barracuda are chomping on the line, or even a tiny little structure is there ... even a 20lb fish can cut 300lb mono. But in open water where those things are not there, mono works great and even if you have a birds nest bunched up that you need to cut with a knife ... it will cut it very quickly and easily. Most cases where you need to cut a line in an emergency it is not a single cut, but several quick cuts.
Old 11-19-2016, 07:07 AM   #9
jstiver09

Quote:
Originally Posted by spearq8 View Post
The Benthic 1.9mm spectra is great stuff and it won't break no matter what fish is on the end of the line and is very stiff. The problem I had was that it dramatically shifted impact point, so I am guessing the velocity drop is quite big. That was with the 1.9mm line, and I do have the 1.7mm and 1.4mm. The 1.4mm might be too thin but maybe the 1.7mm is the best compromise, but certainly I wouldn't use the 1.9mm for long range bluewater hunting. I think if in open water with no structures, you can use the 1.4mm spectra, but nothing beats light 300lb mono for open water when it comes to keeping shaft velocity high. Jon mentions a very important thing with regards safety and ease of cutting the line ... I have had to do that once and would have hated if that line was spectra or cable.

I am also thinking that maybe it is tying a bulky knot what is causing shaft drop, I want to see if I can get away with a crimp. Maybe burning a good ball at the end and then crimping. Anyone try that?

Can you elaborate on the shifted impact point of the 1.9mm Benthic stuff? Was this with a big gun and heavier shaft? Maybe when you test the 130 Albacore you can do a few shots with the only change being switching from 300# mono (which is around 1.9mm I believe) to the 1.9 benthic dyneema.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jstiver09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 08:21 AM   #10
Diving Gecko
Shooter & Shooter

Quote:
I can't think of a fish that can pull more than 2 x 35 liter floats under water. The most powerful fish in pulling on the line is undoubtedly large dogtooth tuna, and haven't seen them able to pull 2 x 35 liter floats that are properly filled. A 250lb YF tuna will just bob a single 35 L float and even the largest Wahoo might pull a single 35 L float down for a couple of seconds but not more. I think a 35 L float takes about 65lb or 90lb of pressure to pull down (I forgot which) ... so 2 x floats would be around 180lb. Good 300lb mono with no cuts and proper crimping should be able to hold at least 250lb's. Of course if sharks or barracuda are chomping on the line, or even a tiny little structure is there ... even a 20lb fish can cut 300lb mono. But in open water where those things are not there, mono works great and even if you have a birds nest bunched up that you need to cut with a knife ... it will cut it very quickly and easily. Most cases where you need to cut a line in an emergency it is not a single cut, but several quick cuts.
It's not easy splicing very thin dyneema but it can be done and would possibly be the best option:
http://kanesan.michikusa.jp/rupu-tukuri.html

[EDIT] The Japanese link was one I have had for ages but just did a new search and Coatesman put up a video not long ago:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpsI...ature=youtu.be

Last edited by Diving Gecko; 11-19-2016 at 08:41 AM.
Diving Gecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 11:31 AM   #11
phil herranen

Quote:
Crimped mono will often fail at 1/2 to the test strenth . And you can't just go off static loads , a big fish hitting the end of the line can produce 1000s of # of Kn energy and can pop 400# mono like nothing . This can happen even with bungies . I've watched friends loose very nice fish becuse they were using 300# mono becuse it "shot better"

Under load cable is very ez to cut one swipe with a serrated knife will do it . Never double over cable and try to cut the loop it binds the strands to the blade and makes it almost impossible to cut

frv owners discount http://spearboard.com/showthread.php?t=134606
phil herranen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 04:25 PM   #12
popgun pete

Line qualities fit for the intended purpose is really the only answer here. Besides the usual line attribute requirements does your victim have a swim bladder, as if he doesn’t then you may have to haul him up from the depths that he planed down to when all helm control was lost and the power light flickered out. Even stainless cable has parted like piano wire when hit with a mighty jerk as a monster went for the emergency boost switch in a last ditch effort to escape.
popgun pete is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 05:34 PM   #13
spearq8

I am not sure what fish you guys are talking about, but then again I have yet to shoot a large Marlin or 1000lb BFT. At least I can say that I have not ever had a problem with 300lb or 400lb mono breaking in open water, but I do put a sleeve where the line attaches to the shaft and change out my line anytime it has a nick, and of course I crimp properly. With fish in open water where there are no structures and you have a good float line with a properly configured bungee ... usually the line is not the problem ... what gives way first is patience.
Old 11-19-2016, 06:40 PM   #14
popgun pete

They have a full set of teeth and spares!
popgun pete is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 09:02 PM   #15
Ryfish

What you hunting? If for hoos mono works great. Seen over 100 landed with 300lb mono and no problems just use a good bungee you will be good to go.

As far as sharks we very rarely thread hoos using 5/16th shafts so shooting line doesn't come into play. Using heavier 3/8th shafts I see threading happen more frequently may want cable then if lot of sharks so don't lose whole rig.

Hope that helps.