Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > General Topics (Non-regional) > General Spearfishing & Diving Discussion

General Spearfishing & Diving Discussion This is where you post to discuss general spearfishing topics that could apply to any region.

Old 09-30-2003, 02:40 PM   #1
IyaDiver
Crazy for Dog Tooth Tuna

The Carter Parachute Float, very useful and deadly.......

Some updates for those who likes to do roller coaster ride on scuba.

Last week, same day the "supposedly Jewfish" swallowed my tuna, my friends and I managed to test the Carter parachute float on some decent size fishes on Dive 1.

Here is a Giant Trevally ( ULUA in Hawaii ) of approx 70#. This size at one time many months ago gave lots of trouble to my friend in this deep seamount of ours when he was equip only with a reel. Last week with the Carter parachute float, I can land it safely. The shot was quite fatal, my Slip Tip was a bit damaged in the process and my 3/8" shaft was a bit bent.

Here is the boat crew posing for me.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	gt 70lb pr sept 04 sp.jpg
Views:	358
Size:	64.2 KB
ID:	4702  
Old 09-30-2003, 02:47 PM   #2
IyaDiver
Crazy for Dog Tooth Tuna

Same Dive 1, this is a Dog Tooth Tuna of approx 37# shot by this friend, also landed with ease with the Carter Parachute Float.
The Doggie was also hit quite fatal but having that Carter float and a reel, sure makes landing this one much safer for us.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	dog 37lbs pr sept 04 ww.jpg
Views:	352
Size:	60.8 KB
ID:	4705  
Old 09-30-2003, 03:02 PM   #3
jgullick
Sponsered by..no one.

Send a message via AIM to jgullick
Nice pics Iya.
Old 09-30-2003, 03:05 PM   #4
fernandezh
Homicidal Brown Monkey

Send a message via AIM to fernandezh Send a message via Yahoo to fernandezh
Iya,
Those are some huge fish. Great job! If you get a chance, could you post up some more photos of the Carter Parachute float? That is a very interesting piece of equipment.

Hector
fernandezh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2003, 03:50 PM   #5
JCACTION

Send a message via AIM to JCACTION
Wow nice fish. Hey I know the guy who invented the parachute design for Carter and I guess he sells it now. I have seen this thing and let me tell you it is a piece of work. The whole thing is so perfectly engineered that I can see the benefits immediaely. I mean this guy went all out from designing the way the parachute works to the cartridge sizes and when I saw the release system so you can use as a regular line or let the parachute send up the fish on its own, I was very impressed with the man's knowledge. I did not know others had this system as I did know that he had to talk Carter into making the chute to begin with. Either way, he has some very, very interesting ideas and is one hell of an expert on most of these things, from guns to tanks, I have really never, ever met anyone as knowledgable. He is on here as esmiami but I never see him post anything. I dont know If IYA's system is anything like this but it would be interesting to see the photos and the whole thing put together. I know that esmiami is one bad boy when it comes to making stuff work properly. I mean I have seen lift systems and from Pradonavich's days they have been tinkered with. This is a whole "cutting edge" type deal that I saw. Check it out or come on out here and post something esmiami.
Old 09-30-2003, 03:54 PM   #6
TGuthrie
Freeshaft'em

Nice fish Iya.
Old 09-30-2003, 06:16 PM   #7
Rolo
Freediving Spearo

Yo JC,

Esmiami truly knows what's up and I believe when he last posted was practically run out of the site (He was not the most articulate, but possibly deservingly so). I see his point and may understand how frustrating it could be when someone "borrows", "steals" or "takes credit" for your idea without acknowledging your contributions. Anyhow, only Esmiami and the Indonesian truly know the facts.

Maybe if Esmiami would have donated a Riffe he would have been more accepted
Rolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2003, 07:45 PM   #8
JCACTION

Hey my man wazzzzzzzzz up!!! havent heard from you in a while hows things,...we got to get together man talk some shit and cafe at least with the other mariconson he knows who he is.

yeah, Eric is the guy I was talking about and let me tell you, if I want to know something about the diving industry I trust his opinion totally along with his knowledge he is on hell of a nice guy. Swimndive absolutely stays quiet but if you want to go to the fountain of knowledge.... swimndive is about as deep thought as you can get and a wealth of information. Sometimes a person posts something very intelligent but rubs the wrong way and everyone jumps on the shit just because they dont see it. I try to learn from everyone and man I need to learn a lot. Cuidate cubiche!!Puta..descarao....asesino de pescao.... Hey you heard of Pachi? hes my uncle and is coming to visit from hawaii, he is 60 and can probably freedive the shit out of most still. HE was a real known dude, still is but in Hawaii.
Old 09-30-2003, 08:00 PM   #9
Rolo
Freediving Spearo

Yegua

Dimelo Yegua,

Yeh, I heard of Pachi. What's a Cuban doing in HI? You know you're welcome in my crib...raisin lungs. Yeah, Ajiaco is probably eating some raw fish and hammering his 59 year-old girlfriend.

Eric or EsMiami knows his shit. I've PM with him and I know the history. This thread and a few others is going to cause some serious de ja vu to some, but as they say; "The truth always comes out". Anyhow, take it easy.
Rolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2003, 12:32 PM   #10
esmiami

Send a message via Yahoo to esmiami
Thanks for your support. If anybody wants to see the system in person, it'll be at the Carter Liftbag booth at DEMA next week.
Eric
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	breakaway copy.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	103.1 KB
ID:	4736  
esmiami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2003, 12:42 PM   #11
deepstops
Not a user but registered

Send a message via AIM to deepstops Send a message via Yahoo to deepstops
I guess that settles the disagreements over who created it now doesn't it.

Brian
Weston, FL
http://www.geocities.com/deepstops
deepstops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2003, 01:28 PM   #12
junior

I imagine the guy who had the original idea probably did not have a computer to post a thread on or a lift bag manufacturer to build a parachute. He was probably some waterman from fifty years ago that only wanted to shoot and land bigger fish than he could land with a simple line gun or reel. I see no way anybody is getting rich in this except for maybe Carter Floats so everybody might as well just get along and share the process of actually getting the thing to work since I have yet to see a fish landed using this setup

I think it is entirely plausible that Esmiami and Iya had independant ideas for the same thing. Although, Iya admits that I was the one who originally inspired his creation. I had never seen, read or heard of such a thing prior to my "Drag Race Spearfishing" post so why don't I jump right in and take credit for it Let it go guys
junior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2003, 01:57 PM   #13
Topshotta

Let me add my support to Eric and his inventiveness, i have seen his set up and it does look like it is in a production ready stage, although i cant imagine much of a market for it. looking to see it in action this weekend when we dive off of Jupiter.
Topshotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2003, 01:59 PM   #14
Topshotta

PS

Eric when am i getting mine
Topshotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2003, 03:01 PM   #15
JCACTION

HEY TOP, GET YOUR BUTT BACK TO WORK, IM ALLOWED TO SPEND SOME TIME HERE WHILE YOU WORK BIAATCCCCCH!!!!!!!

JUNIOR YOU ARE RIGH......WAZ UP DAWG!!!! LETS GO HUNTING THATS ALL I CARE ABOUT