Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > International Section > Other International

Other International Here is an area for shooters from Europe, Asia, Africa, and all points in between.

Old 04-20-2008, 10:48 PM   #31
kjflyfish
snorklin'

Re: Dog Tooth, finally i broke the 120lbs barrier

There are several guys over here that talk about the prangers. They have certainly taken down some massive fish, but you need a perfect shot. We have some serious doggie hunters in our club and they all use slip-tips. Hopefully, I'll join the ranks this August.
Old 04-21-2008, 04:47 AM   #32
BreathlessSight

Talking Re: Dog Tooth, finally i broke the 120lbs barrier

Well we were invited to an island in which my friend lives. We didnt know what to expect. All we heard is that there were tuna in like 20ft of water at times and there was a lot of em. I didnt even know what a dogtooth was at the time. I never saw what happened that day but I got it second hand. I was busy reef fish hunting cuz every fish there was huge! I was looking for grouper. Anyhow I got the story from both of my buds. One bud named shin has a canon of a gun. (see pic) I heard that the tuna were schooling and just circling in like 20ft of water. Big ones, small ones, all of em. Well Shin took that massive canon (which by the way is completely homemade out of pallet wood. The whole gun was made by hand with handtools. Quite the craftsman.) and shot into a dogtooth I was told was bigger than him. The thing took off and when the makeshift floatline pulled tight it broke from the two beach found bumber buoys.
Then my bud Rob shot one and he said it was huge too. It had so much mass that when it was shot with his 5/16 shaft the fish fell limp to one side. That force of the big fish just falling to the side bent his spear at a 90 degree angle. The fish hit the reef, woke up, and took off. Rob already had a smaller dogtooth for dinner on his single 11ltr RA float. He said the float went by his head and almost knocked him out. Down it went and now its skipping on the bottom of the reef. It came back up with no fish, dogtooth fight dirty...
When I finally saw em we were on the other side of the island. I was laying on the reef grunting and I looked up... I was startled at these prehistoric creatures that just came out of no where. They were decent size. But the big ones were found in about 30ft of water if that. It was about noon and during extreme low tide. I was looking to my left for awhile and when I looked right, there he was. HUGE! Big as me trying to look over my shoulder to see what I was interested in. I shot him with my 110 aimrite with a reel. He took off for the shallows??? Weird I know. He even tried to hole up but broke free when the line got snagged on the reef. They purposely turn side ways to drag your shaft on it. I never landed a doggie that day.
Another time I was there we were at the first location. We went down current and then swam back up near shore where the current was dead. Well one time on the way back up in 30ft of water, there was this massive one just chillin in the current. My eyes got big and so did his. I have noticed you can approach em head on, you kind have to dive parrell to em and strike their curriousity. But this one was already aware of my intentions so I dove on him but two kicks and he was over the drop. I remember that fish cuz he didnt have a right pectoral fin and he had a lot of scars on the right side of his face. I would have loved to have that dude.
There are dogtooth everywhere here, no one targets then and they dont have many predators here. The only predator I have seen is somekind of massive shark at location one. Looked to be a bull or tiger? I didnt get a good look at it but its quite big. On the other side there is a great hammerhead we see sometimes. Big fish, big sharks I always heard.
I dont know why the dogtooth were in numbers exceeding 20 that day. I know they travel in packs here but that day they were just circling in shallow water in great numbers. Only that day have I seen the real big ones. The big ones seem to be loners and less curious.
The biggest fish I shot is in my avatar. Its about 88lbs. Robs biggest was in the low 100's. One of my friends just shot a 91lb pending ISUA record Marbled grouper. Its a tank! Check out a couple of dogtooth vids I put together too. http://youtube.com/watch?v=hOuVz7V3vcY http://youtube.com/watch?v=sn1wAPDATsk

All of these are landed on flopper and we normally shoot in head/shoulder area or in the eye. Just recently we found an amazing slip tip that we like from Plamen Kolev. You can email him for slip tips at pkolev@qualcomm.com He does have a website I just dont know it. Also got the threaded 7mm euro shafts from Florida Freedivers. This setup in my 140cm Rabitech carbon gun is amazing! Super accurate! I love it! Rob recently took down a 40lber with a single banded 140cm with the slip tip attatched.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Robs Dog.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	93.0 KB
ID:	73570   Click image for larger version

Name:	shin.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	11.9 KB
ID:	73571  

Last edited by BreathlessSight; 04-21-2008 at 05:05 AM.
BreathlessSight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 10:19 AM   #33
pirate_diver
Mike

Send a message via AIM to pirate_diver

That was an AWESOME post. Nice Tuna!!!

"Out in the blue is where I've been."
-Jimmy Barnes
_.(__.(__.(___.(__.(__.(___.( __.(__.(__
"Don't try to describe the ocean if you've never seen it."
- Jimmy Buffett

Rest In Peace Jeff (Keezdiver) Simonds
4/24/78 - 2/18/10
I will never forget you or the stories you told.
pirate_diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 12:39 PM   #34
IyaDiver
Crazy for Dog Tooth Tuna

Breathless,

Okinawa area !!!!!!!! WOW, that must be wild.....
20 feet of water and so many fishes...I am droolling over that.
I saw ur video, cool man.

I just read about your Japanese gun maker friend..cool !!!
Sooner or later, you will hit a very big one. If less than 60 feet of water you can spot a 100lbs, the big ones will come shallower one day or waiting there at deeper waters untill they hear or smell struggling fish.

Our Doggies do not circle around rocks or hang around. They pass by and go. However, there was one time in my other sea mount ( 5 hours drive & 1 hr boat ride ) and the most unbelieveable day....the same day I lost my gun due to me unable to hold on anymore when dragged all the way to 165 feet and must surrender..and only happen once in my 2 years ( at least 40 trips ) visiting that place...the Doggies actually circle around the sea mount shallowest part ( 100 feet ) and will not go. Just swimming around and round and it happened the entire last dive. I don't know why this is happening. I seen jacks and barracuda doing this, but never Doggies at 60lbs class. Moments like this we can't even pay money to make it happen again.

What you described to me...you have a first class place...

Hello Pirate,
I know its a very long post, but I call myself Mr Long Post..ha ha ha. Good you have the patience to enjoy it.
Old 04-22-2008, 03:28 AM   #35
IyaDiver
Crazy for Dog Tooth Tuna

My lady friend, PB at 56 lbs. Day 3 dive spot, that 700 meters long island.
Shot Depth about 100 feet.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Terminator46 lbs Dog.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	106.5 KB
ID:	73704  
Old 04-22-2008, 03:31 AM   #36
IyaDiver
Crazy for Dog Tooth Tuna

Jimbo my friend, Day 3 dive spot too
60 lbs. Shot depth 132 feet.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Jimbo 60lbs Dog.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	126.5 KB
ID:	73705  
Old 04-22-2008, 03:35 AM   #37
IyaDiver
Crazy for Dog Tooth Tuna

"Jamur" my friend, PB Spanish Mack 53 lbs Mack. Day 3 last dive.
Shot depth approx 90 feet.
His camera is inside a waterproof housing so it was fogging up and not a clear focus.

He was quite unlucky on this trip. He shot a total of 5 Dogs and none was landed. Some seems to be shot good but it tear off. The most exciting shot when he was confronted by a 100+lbs Dog and shot at the gill on last dive day, dive 1. he must have hit the bony body part of the gill area. The Ice Pick penetrated so little, the fish simply gave a shake and if fell out. This is a second time my group had this kind of situation.

EDIT-EDIT
I keep telling them, this is clear viz, unlike our usual waters. What you think as a 100 lbs fish at 10 feet maybe a lot bigger but at 20 over feet away. The first trip I did to super good visibility waters or when I get viz above 100 feet...I keep shooting short.
I usually will look for a wooden log and practice to gauge distance in shallow waters before I hunt waters with such good viz. This is what I did on Day 1 after dive 1. I shot a sunken coconut leaf/bark and thought thought was 23 feet away but actually it was 30 feet. I shot like 6 inches below target and only 2 inch of useless penetration. It is easy to measure distance for me after a shot. My MT3 is 4 double wraps and at least 32 feet of shooting line including shaft length of 55 inch.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Jamur 53lbs Spanish Mack.JPG
Views:	197
Size:	105.8 KB
ID:	73706  

Last edited by IyaDiver; 04-22-2008 at 04:17 AM. Reason: additional info
IyaDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 03:39 AM   #38
IyaDiver
Crazy for Dog Tooth Tuna

Jimbo PB Dog 68lbs. Last Dive Day, first dive on the sea mount
Shot depth 115 feet.

EDIt-EDIT
This guys shot total 3 Doggies and by last day on dive 2 and 3 wanted to target above 80 lbs but seen none. Lucky guy and doesn't mind going deep. This is the guy that accidentally dove to 198 feet few years back. Before I took him on distant journey heavenly visibility, he is a murrky water hunter with usual viz of 12 feet to 16 feet being normal. So the day I brought him to a nice viz dive spot where i lost by King Kong 180lbs Doggie, he just had his computer serviced. This guys is a "Feet" educated. I mean he started diving using feet and never meters. When his computer came back from a battery change, it was set at meters from the original feet. He did not know about it.

Being a new kid at very clear viz ( 150+ feet category ), he was taking his sweet time to explore the dive spot. He went down to 60 meters ( 198 feet ), thinking it was 60 feet. I can imagine why. He said he can see the surface of the water, so he assumed it was shallow. In his usual murky water, he can't even see the water surface at 60 feet.

So his computer went to deco mode and he asked me, how in the hell can one dive and being a first dive..at 60 feet and get a deco ?? Good thing he was using an Alladin air interfaced that tells him when to ascend given the last remaining air and is breathing pattern and will give 500 psi as minimal reserve after deco stop....man...I don't want to loose a friend. This guy will chase and shoot fish at 1180 feet...When i am by his side, i will shout for him to come shallower. I don't know why but he never seems to get narced at even 175 feet while chasing fish under labored breathing. For me now 175 feet I will not chase a fish. I will wait for it to come close enough for a shot but...I will never chase it...not anymore. Few years ago I will do that but from today onwards...NOPE. If I can, I want to be less than 140 feet.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Jimbo 68 lbs Dog.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	110.1 KB
ID:	73707  

Last edited by IyaDiver; 04-22-2008 at 04:19 AM. Reason: additional info
IyaDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 04:14 AM   #39
BreathlessSight

Looks like you guys have lots of fun! This is where miracles happen...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Dreams.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	47.7 KB
ID:	73709  

Last edited by BreathlessSight; 04-22-2008 at 06:34 AM.
Old 04-22-2008, 07:19 AM   #40
IyaDiver
Crazy for Dog Tooth Tuna

Yep. This is the best trip we ever had outside our close by playground.

Lots of Spanish Mack, unlike the other far away destination ( 3 hrs by flight ).
Shooting depth not exceeding 140 feet. High percentage of seeing Doggie per dive. Seeing a Doggie once per every other dive and even if only 1-3 fishes of decent size....is already a high-5 for us poor soul.

Water viz no less than 60 feet...so unlike our close by site..very nice for us too.

I can't imagine Okinawa and the Coral Sea...yum yum...
Old 04-22-2008, 11:36 PM   #41
carlsbadspearo
Kyle Faust

wow awesome read thank you. great fish.

Kyle Faust
carlsbadspearo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 07:46 AM   #42
BreathlessSight

Oki is junk for fishing. Spearfishing is a very sensitive subject out there. We venture out on invitation with our local national friends visiting uninhabited to very low inhabited places.
Old 04-24-2008, 06:28 PM   #43
Doc

Iya, great read as always!

The doggies in Micronesia normally behave alot like you describe, cruising around the inner lagoon coaral heads or along the outer atoll walls at similar depths, but my coolest encounter was on a night dive on a calm night as we were lobstering the shallow reef on the outer edgo of an atoll. On top of the wall on the plateau before the shallow reef I ran into a large, 60-80# doggie in maybe 8-10 feet of water, who was eitrher sleeping or just sitting there entirly motionless floating in the water. If I had a gun, I could have shot from a distance of 10 feet...

I kept my light on him and he just sat as I swam slowly and cautiously closer from 80 feet away where I had first spotted him, to about 8 feet away, until he bolted at a speed faster than I have ever seen one move; first one direction away from (toward reef) about 40 feet, then turning and doing a REALLY fast high speed fly-by that scared the crap out of me before disappearing into deeper water.

I have some really cool video of some doggies doing a few circles around me at about 8 foot range on a coral head in Kwajelein if anybody wants to post it up, Im not sure how to do it.
Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 10:02 AM   #44
IyaDiver
Crazy for Dog Tooth Tuna

Hello Doc,

WOW, if you have videos of them circling and can download to Youtube, it will be great. I am alos rather computer illeterate and don't know how to do that on you tube.....will try next time.

I thought tuna must swim fast in order to breath, the only pelagic I seen sleeping at night is trevally. Not really sleeping, but they swim so very slow at night, not a big one though. Was the Doggie on cleaning station ?

Iya
Old 04-29-2008, 06:05 AM   #45
BreathlessSight

I have seen em on cleaning station. They are oblivious to anything and just sit there with thier jaws open. I find the dogtooth a very fascinating fish. I almost polespeared one this weekend. Except I left the pole in the kayak. The water was terrible and I didnt think I would see anything at all. So I took my gun for smaller reef fish but a dog literaly almost ran into me.
I have another pic that is better that I am working on. I tried a new lens that day and for some reason it wouldnt auto focus underwater but I could lift my housing out of the water and it was fine. So I had to do some jimmy riggin and set it the manual once I had the focal distance set. I forgot the apeture setting though but it came out ok. Still not that sharp thanks to the lens being wierd.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Dogtooth_4.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	139.6 KB
ID:	74225   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dogtooth.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	145.2 KB
ID:	74226