Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > California Spearfishing

California Spearfishing Talk here about spearfishing on California's Pacific Coast, and post those reports and photos!

Old 03-04-2018, 04:50 PM   #16
rysgates

Re: Attention fellow goat herders...

If I take any they are usually males because then I can get the same amount of meat from one big one as two small ones and then I don't need to shoot as many. For me the most important thing is not going back to the same reef and shooting them every time, try and diversify because they don't move around much. If you wipe out one reef they will likely not return for a long time.
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
=___________________________________________
llllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll lllllllllllllllll````````/
///////\ |
//////----
/////
rysgates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 02:22 PM   #17
Lompoc Local
Errin

Quote:
Originally Posted by rysgates View Post
Goats are a keystone predator because they are the most prominent consumer of sea urchins, which eat kelp, and kelp is important to the survival of most other fish in our area. They're also pretty fragile and susceptible to getting wiped out quickly because of the imbalance between males and females.

As far as lompoc goes, heres a link to help you with your reading comprehension skills, because it appears that you missed an important part of my first post.
http://www.k12reader.com/subject/rea...comprehension/
They are not the most prominent consumer of urchins. That would be your buddy the lobster. There is a stronger correlation between lobster presence and lower urchin populations (and therefore the health of kelp beds) than of sheephead and lower urchin populations.

Lobster > Sheephead

I still don't understand y'alls fascination with taking sheephead. Sure they make good ceviche. LOTS of fish make good ceviche. The only reason you're taking these fish is cause you don't have the patience or skill to take decent bass. Sheephead are big and dumb and easy to shoot. They look good in a photo. Great. Good for you. Put the time in, learn how to hunt gamefish and leave the sheephead alone so they can do their job on the reef.

Lompoc Local is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 02:42 AM   #18
HEX
Hector F.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lompoc Local View Post
They are not the most prominent consumer of urchins. That would be your buddy the lobster. There is a stronger correlation between lobster presence and lower urchin populations (and therefore the health of kelp beds) than of sheephead and lower urchin populations.

Lobster > Sheephead

I still don't understand y'alls fascination with taking sheephead. Sure they make good ceviche. LOTS of fish make good ceviche. The only reason you're taking these fish is cause you don't have the patience or skill to take decent bass. Sheephead are big and dumb and easy to shoot. They look good in a photo. Great. Good for you. Put the time in, learn how to hunt gamefish and leave the sheephead alone so they can do their job on the reef.
Calico are game fish?

You can get more meat out of 1 big sheep head than a limit of 5 decent Calicos.
Old 03-06-2018, 03:47 AM   #19
Cameronv
Ando26

Quote:

Lobster > Sheephead

Good thing we have Lompoc to lay down the law. Only royal blood is allowed to harvest sheep head you peasants..!
Cameronv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 11:30 AM   #20
Lompoc Local
Errin

Quote:
Originally Posted by HEX View Post
Calico are game fish?

You can get more meat out of 1 big sheep head than a limit of 5 decent Calicos.
Yes, Calicos are a California gamefish in my book. Absolutely. Difficult and fun to hunt, good eating. Challenging and rewarding. Available year round.

A stringer of 5-pound bass is impressive.

AND they make great ceviche.

Old 03-06-2018, 11:32 AM   #21
Lompoc Local
Errin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameronv View Post
Good thing we have Lompoc to lay down the law. Only royal blood is allowed to harvest sheep head you peasants..!
Call 'em like I see 'em. Feel free to disagree with me. It's a free country...except there ain't nothin' free...

Maybe you could go out on your new $50k 17-footer and crush a stringer full of 10-pound sheephead dude!

Yeah!

Old 03-06-2018, 02:05 PM   #22
Cameronv
Ando26

50k..? Not even real Anderson made g17s are 50k grandpa. You really take your spear board job seriously these days. Sheezus
Old 03-06-2018, 04:13 PM   #23
Lompoc Local
Errin

Quote:
50k..? Not even real Anderson made g17s are 50k grandpa. You really take your spear board job seriously these days. Sheezus
Regardless of how much you really spent, those are going to be some seriously expensive sheephead bro. Hope you have mad ceviche skills...

How much DID you spend?

Old 03-06-2018, 05:02 PM   #24
Cameronv
Ando26

They charge 17 on their site, but I got the bro deal. No upkeep fees, perks of 2017 outboard. Trailer is McClain made delux version, extended tongue, aluminum with vault hubs, included in 17 price. Think I made out alright.

Only time I mess with sheephead is when I watch them while bugging, but who am I to tell other people what they should and should not shoot..? I usually bark at commercial boats or seals..?

How much was the seabro? and how much do you spend upkeeping it?
Old 03-06-2018, 06:55 PM   #25
reefer420
EAT MORE UNI

Just gonna leave this here for you haters that think you’re too good to shoot sheepshead�� grow up and lose that ego of yours buddy.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	9156280C-5D3A-447C-A836-ECF49D2246CA.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	96.5 KB
ID:	237256  
Old 03-06-2018, 08:01 PM   #26
Lompoc Local
Errin

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefer420 View Post
Just gonna leave this here for you haters that think you’re too good to shoot sheepshead�� grow up and lose that ego of yours buddy.
LOL. I like that yellow much better

Feel free to disagree with me any day of the week but don't get all butt hurt when I express my opinion. The only reason you would get all butt is cause you think I'm actually right...

Are you too good to shoot perch? Opaleye? Giant kelpfish? Do you shoot everything that swims in front of you? Do you take kelp crabs? Opihi? Seriously. Are there reasons you don't take these species?

I eat what I kill. I have reasons I don't crush sheephead. Don't get pissed cause I told you what they are...

Old 03-06-2018, 09:13 PM   #27
Marcus
Naval gazer extraordinair

Quote:
I usually bark at commercial boats or seals..?
That reminds me of when I visited the N San Fran area. I seen a bunch of seals on the mud flats. So, my FL cracker ass stops, gets out of the car, and starts barking at them. They reacted by looking all attentive and scurrying towards the water.
Anywho, while I'm barking at them this bicyclist comes cruising past me.
“If the natural tendencies of mankind are so bad that it is not safe to permit people to be free, how is it that the tendencies of these organizers are always good? Do not the legislators and their appointed agents also belong to the human race? Or do they believe that they themselves are made of a finer clay than the rest of mankind?”
― Frederic Bastiat, The Law
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 01:15 AM   #28
HEX
Hector F.

Quote:
Call 'em like I see 'em. Feel free to disagree with me. It's a free country...except there ain't nothin' free...

Maybe you could go out on your new $50k 17-footer and crush a stringer full of 10-pound sheephead dude!

Yeah!

Lmao that's messed up dude
Old 03-07-2018, 11:55 AM   #29
Lompoc Local
Errin

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefer420 View Post
BTW, its SHEEPHEAD. Not SHEEPSHEAD.

Thank you

Old 03-07-2018, 01:38 PM   #30
GhostApe

Errin, no comment on that mega push? You ok, man?
GhostApe is offline   Reply With Quote