Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Florida Gulfcoast Spearfishing

Florida Gulfcoast Spearfishing Post here to discuss regional action or issues about spearing on Florida's Gulfcoast.

Old 07-30-2018, 12:17 PM   #1
sharpshooter

Out of HP 7-29-18

Title should be: Out of JP 7-29-18. Roll of the dice on how deep or where to go. We dove mainly in 95'-107'. From the surface to 65' was royal blue and clear. 65' to the bottom was the murky layer again. But, not as bad. Water temp. went from 86F to 76F. near the bottom according to 2 Shearwater Perdix AI computers. Love that computer. Anyway, the horz. vis. was a hazy 20'. Saw one 7' reef shark that cruised by a couple of times. Turned on the shark shield. I had fish strung up. I don't feed fish to a shark. As a last resort, I will feed it a shaft or 30-06 PPD. I bet you 99% of the shark huggers don't even dive. In the fish box we had 8 goes, 5 hogs and a decent flounder. No gags. I only saw one while my dive buddy shot at a goe. The gag got spooked and took off like a dragster.
sharpshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 05:14 PM   #2
SEA_ARCHER
The Ocean is Calling

Re: Out of HP 7-29-18

I just got a Perdix AI last year and love it! By far my favorite piece of dive gear. I can't believe more guys don't use these but according to the guys on scubaboard the dive shops don't make near the profit on these that they make on other similarly priced computers.
SEA_ARCHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 09:07 PM   #3
CuzzA

I just sold my Icon and so I'm back and forth between buying a Perdix and the new Teric.

Are you guys diving helium/deco or just using it in rec. mode?
CuzzA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 09:15 PM   #4
SEA_ARCHER
The Ocean is Calling

right now I just dive in rec mode but knowing that I have a great tec computer for when i grow up is pretty cool. The one knock that some of the tec guys have on it is that you can only pair 2 transmitters for air integration. It really is an amazing computer in so many different ways. Things that stand out which I love:

1- completely customizable screens, options are so well thought out.
2- very large screen lots of room for customizable sections of the screen
3- brightest screen I have ever used. so easy to see in poor vis or bright sunlight
4- runs on AA battery. this seems silly but I dive a lot and it is so easy to change the battery with something i know I will always have around.
5-great compass with option to set a heading marker and use return to heading feature
6- love the arm strap buckles rather than a wrist band.
7- Air Integration has worked flawlessly.
8- Paired one time to my transmitter and never had to mess with it again.

Last edited by SEA_ARCHER; 07-30-2018 at 09:27 PM.
Old 07-30-2018, 09:56 PM   #5
CuzzA

No doubt, I'm familiar with the Perdix and it's definitely a nice computer. Have you seen the Shearwater Teric in person yet?

My Icon was pretty sweet, I actually think it could be a better computer than the Perdix, but it runs RGBM and does not support mix.

As for only two transmitters on the Perdix, I think for most serious dives you really wouldn't have more than 3 gasses anyway. A travel gas, bottom mix and deco. I sure as hell would't buy a $350 transmitter for a deco bottle. I suppose you could have more than one deco mix, say 50% and 100%, but that's a lot of bottles to be juggling... Maybe staged decompression, but that's more of a cave diving situation. While spearfishing? Forget about it.

Have you ditched your SPG?

Last edited by CuzzA; 07-30-2018 at 10:06 PM.
Old 07-31-2018, 07:26 AM   #6
sharpshooter

I have a SPG with mine. Have always had a SPG back up with the various AI dive computers. Had a Scuba Pro Smart Tec luckily die on my last MG dive on the way up . I wasn't even close to deco. Looked at my SPG and back up puck style computer . Never hurts to have a small backup computer. Great example: a 4 day Dry Tortugas trip. Friend of mine had his die on day 2 . He used his backup dive computer the rest of the trip. He wore his backup on all dives. Why leave it in the gear bag and have to sit out for 24hrs.?

Last edited by sharpshooter; 07-31-2018 at 01:56 PM. Reason: Update on friends backup computer
Old 07-31-2018, 07:39 AM   #7
SEA_ARCHER
The Ocean is Calling

Have not seen the Teric yet. No SPG for me. In the unlikely event of a transmitter or computer failure I would end the dive with a controlled ascent and a long safety stop. Waters here are plenty clear to estimate safety stop depth.

On a long multiday trip I would probably bring an entire spare setup in case of failure of reg, hoses guages or anything else that would ruin my trip.
Old 07-31-2018, 01:47 PM   #8
sharpshooter

For anyone wanting to check out the new Shearwater Teric. Tackle Shack in Pinellas Park has the new Teric in stock.
Old 07-31-2018, 07:56 PM   #9
CuzzA

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharpshooter View Post
For anyone wanting to check out the new Shearwater Teric. Tackle Shack in Pinellas Park has the new Teric in stock.
Sweet! Thanks for the heads up. I'll go check it out.