Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Tournament and Event Archives > 2006 Tournament Archives > The Southern Open State Championship 2006

The Southern Open State Championship 2006 Check here for threads about the Southern Open. Links to forms, info, etc.

Old 06-25-2006, 08:00 PM   #1
Bucket One
www.stpeteopen.com

Awesome Tournament

What a great weekend it was with lots of great fish turned in.

I would like to thank Rich Taylor and Jason Delacruz for doing a outstanding job busting their butts weighing the fish in what seemed like a record time and John Schmidt for putting many hours in and running what was probably one of the best Southern Open's. You guys rocked!!!

I would also like to thank John Hermes for taking me out and having a great day of shooting with some good friends.

Congrats to Paul Renner for taking top individual. I guess if I've got to be runner up again to him it might as well be to one of the best shooters out there. Between him and HeadHunter I guess that I might as well get used to being runner up to them all the time.

One observation that I did notice was the abundance of a certain dive club "SPUC" members name's being called a lot for winning fish or top placings. We should've just had the awards ceremony at our dive club meeting. I guess that 7 out of the top 8 aren't bad. Thank goodness for mystery tickets or Team Spearboard wouldn't have had a pick in the top ten picks. I'm really just busting some balls guys. It was really good to see a lot of you there and can't wait to see you guys at the SPO.
Bucket One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 08:19 PM   #2
Red Tide

Re: Awesome Tournament

Ritchie swears that he could have beat Paul if his fish were bigger but then again Ritchie swears a lot
Old 06-25-2006, 08:29 PM   #3
Goin'Deep
SLAYER

I'd like to "second" everything that Ritchie just said! That was one awesome tournment guys. This is only my second Southern Open and third tournament ever, and it seems to just keep getting better as they go by. Thanks again for all the hard work and effort that it took to put on such a great tournament!
Old 06-25-2006, 10:29 PM   #4
Steel Shootin'

Great job everyone involved! That be a ton of work, and it sure was appreciated!
Old 06-25-2006, 10:35 PM   #5
chasintail
Hell Diver

Ritchie,did you flex in a womens string top at the weigh in?
chasintail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 11:19 AM   #6
Screen Name
Bubble Pack Junkie

Thumbs up Re: Awesome Tournament

Thanks, Richie!

All of the clubs made a contribution of time, effort, and money to run the tournament. A lot of individuals really stepped up, and it feels great to get the help. We are grateful to everyone for your efforts!

We had a good time, and hopefully we generated some sorely needed funds for the FRA.
Screen Name is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 12:02 PM   #7
The Collector
President until Ben

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucket One
One observation that I did notice was the abundance of a certain dive club "SPUC" members name's being called a lot for winning fish or top placings. We should've just had the awards ceremony at our dive club meeting. I guess that 7 out of the top 8 aren't bad. Thank goodness for mystery tickets or Team Spearboard wouldn't have had a pick in the top ten picks. I'm really just busting some balls guys. It was really good to see a lot of you there and can't wait to see you guys at the SPO.
Yeah.... I was getting nervous that Denny might not have gotten my check in time..

What we lack in skill, we make up for with luck
Old 06-26-2006, 12:04 PM   #8
The Collector
President until Ben

Rich, John, Jason, & denny did a great job and put on another fine tournament.
Next stop ST PETE OPEN.
They give mystery tickets too, don't they?
Old 06-26-2006, 12:23 PM   #9
Puncture Wound

Thanks again for a great tournament, esp. Screen Name for helping put it on and putting me on some fish
Puncture Wound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 01:38 PM   #10
liberty hound

great tournament!!
wish we could get some tournaments going on the east coast.
Getting someone to the captains meeting the night before and having to quit shooting at 2:00pm to make it to the weigh in makes it tough for us east coasters, but I'm looking forward to doing it all over again next year.
Old 06-27-2006, 06:54 AM   #11
HeadHunter
Dan MacMahon

Everybody I've talked to have been highly positive about this years SOD. Comments like "it was a blast" and "what a kick azz time" were the norm. Kudos to the guys that put all the time and hard work into making it such a success.

Congrats to the all the participants, and a special congrats to the top 3, Paul, RZ, and John. Way to go!

Liberty Hound is right on. We're blessed to have the quality tournaments that we have in this area. Thanks again for the hard work that so many put into this!

Smart people realize they know very little.
Stupid people think they know everything.
HeadHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 09:52 AM   #12
kitefisherman
Spearboard Historian

Another great Southern Open! Thanks to all the volunteers for all their hard work.
kitefisherman is offline   Reply With Quote