Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > General Topics (Non-regional) > General Freediving Area

General Freediving Area If Apnea Diving rocks your world, talk about it here!

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 08-08-2012, 11:53 AM   #16
LunkerBuster
Hungry Fish

Re: How to minimize leg cramps?

+1

seriously, I have stopped drinking gatorade completely...zico, vitacoco and one other are pure coconut water, nothing added and the liters are just under 5 bucks.

I eat a banana before any dives, stay hydrated and be sure to stretch after any workout and before a dive.
LunkerBuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 03:52 PM   #17
Spearin239

I know it's hard to handle but a couple big swigs of vinegar make them go away once the cramps happen, I keep a little jar in my dive bag just for that reason!!
Spearin239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 02:46 AM   #18
Fishfood888

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behslayer View Post
Magnesium.

But remember, magnesium is also so the key ingredient in laxatives.. so don't overdo it..
Just a couple of thoughts...
When I was racing MotoX, in hot weather I would get leg cramps as soon as the second race started...brutal quad cramps and it would ruin my race until they worked themselves out. This went on for several races despite thinking I was well hydrated using Cytomax and stretched out......until one day I asked one of the oldtimers whether he ever got cramps on the second race. He did, especially when weather was hot. To combat this, he drank cytomax double strength, popped 6 Rolaids and 800mg of motrin. The next event I tried this and never had another leg cramp again. I believe it was probably the Rolaids, 135mg of Mg per tablet and the cytomax aiding in hydration pre and post race day. I never got the runs either, so don't worry.
Daily recomendation for Mg is 400mg. Potassium is over 4000mg/day. Sodium 1500mg/day. Most Vitamin Waters don't have any magnesium or sodium and is not a significant source of potassium either..just FYI. Only the VW Multi V has a Mg amount of 10%(40mg/20oz) and the Coco-refresh has 30mg of sodium.
So you would be just as well with drinking water, eat a banana some salted almonds/cashews/mixed nuts and dried fruit. You can suppliment your Mg by popping a couple of rolaids if needed and if you think you really need a sports drink, buy one atheletes use like cytomax or similar products (not gatoraid/poweraid). Just don't buy the orange or grape cytomax, those flavors have caffine.
Old 08-09-2012, 08:07 AM   #19
PartyBoy
Aqua Aces

When I ran track in high school, coach would tell us drink pickle juice when were getting cramps. I seemed to work. Also, eating a banana may work, but I wouldn't bring it on the boat. The capt might make you swim home.

PartyBoy + booze = mayhem
PartyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 11:25 PM   #20
Moana Waterman

Potassium, magnesium, stretching, hydration, Cytomax, Is all good. Agree on giving your legs at least three days to recover post leg work out. Maybe more like five.

Also, technique might have changed as you got stronger. Also, suggest medium flex carbon blade. If your feet are cramping, your footpocket might be too tight. Try 1 mm thinner sock. Your feet might be more muscular now.
Old 08-13-2012, 06:39 PM   #21
Renejr83
Freediving is Life!!

Great advice from everyone!! Great thread!! I'm hoping to dive this wkend. Gonna focus on good hydration on the days leading up and have a VW the night before and morning of. Definitely doing some leg warmups and stretching prior to getting on the boat. I'm already taking creatine and amino acids as part of my workout supplements.
Renejr83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 10:45 AM   #22
Ric

Mustard, unsweetened Dijon style or Honey yellow mustard.
Try 1 or 2 spoon the night before you go diving.
How it works is not well known, but it works for many people.
Ric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 12:15 PM   #23
saltysunburns

Hydrate the night before and have a banana for breakfast, just don't bring it on the boat.
Navy dive manual says you should drink a pint of water 2 hours before warm water dives, but excess hydration prior to diving can cause issues like pulmonary edema. After getting out of the water rehydrate with coconut water. Potassium and magnesium are your friends.

Doesn't hurt to stretch and warm up before diving either.
saltysunburns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 09:22 AM   #24
Ric

For some people, like myself, bananas actually give cramps. It is clearly an indication that the metabolic problems or pathways that lead to cramps are different, even if the end result is the same.
Yes 'Hydrate' of course. By the way, I had cramps last sunday in the water. Not terribly bad but probably the result of partying the night before. 2 glass of champagne and 1 Whisky plus 2 glass of wine and I think that's it. Not Fair !
Ric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 10:07 AM   #25
R.Boonfield

Stretch, stretch, stretch
R.Boonfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 04:13 PM   #26
NCTideChild

One of the ingredients in Tonic Water is Quinine. In tonic water sized doses, it is very, very effective at warding off leg cramps.

I didn't learn this until some complete lock-ups on my legs while free diving. Now I know, and love it.
NCTideChild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 01:57 PM   #27
sharpshooter

I always did leg work outs on tuesday. One time I couldn't and did it on friday. Major mistake for diving sat.. I wear long blades and tank dive. On the way up had one calf lock up tight. Just made it to the dive ladder when the other one cramped up too. For the next 3 weeks I did legs on tuesday. Then, tried again on a friday and dove sat.. I drank a lot of water the day before, when I got up and during the trip out. Ate a banana the night before and one in the morning. I got bad calf cramps again diving that day . So, I don't do leg workouts on friday.
sharpshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 12:53 AM   #28
clambake 50

great info I get them alot
clambake 50 is offline   Reply With Quote