Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All Other Gear

All Other Gear Tanks, BCDs, Regs, Fins, Stringers, and all other gear we use in Spearfishing.

Old 09-11-2019, 01:18 PM   #1
StukNotAnchored

Floatline on a break-away set up

This may be a dumb question, but I have been accused of that before anyway. Here goes:

If I am going to create a break-away set-up, do I need a "floatline" (the line inside a plastic tube)?

Why can't I just rig the breakaway clip from the spear line to a nylon paracord type line and connect that to the float? Is there some magic I am missing. "Floatlines" are pricey. Paracord/nylong floating line is cheap at Home Depot.

I ask because after some sharky encounters the idea came up to rig shafts on breakaways and let the person manning the boat just putter around and pull up the floats that are moving (being connected to a fish) and we continue hunting with the other guns we brought down with us.
Old 09-16-2019, 06:28 AM   #2
Mikel_24

Re: Floatline on a break-away set up

I think that you are mixing some concepts here. As far as I know, for BW hunting, the shafts are attached to bungees which are then attached to one or several floats. These bungees are made of latex tube (thin wall) and have a dyneema core which is three times as long as the latex tube in relaxed status. The idea is that you shoot the fish and let the whole system work the fish for you. The elasticity of the bungee prevents sudden tugs on the material, to avoid breaking something. The dyneema core prevents over-extension. Also, as the latex tube pulls the fish up, it gets tired all by itself.

A whole different thing is the floatline. As far as I know, the floatline is just a line used to pull on your float so you don't get run over by a boat. This line can be attached to the gun, so you don't loose it if you shoot something big or your shaft gets stuck in the bottom for some reason and the visibility is poor. This line is does not stretch and it is not meant to work a fighting fish. This line is usually made of Polipropilene, because it floats, is strong enough and does not swell when in the water (does not absorb water). Yellow is preffered for high visibility and 4-6mm is a decent diameter so you don't cut your hands and avoid tangles.

HOWEVER there is a third concept in between those two systems. And that's what I use. It is a small diameter PVC tube sealed on both ends with sealant and with one buckle on each end. I use 4mm ID 6mm OD transparent tube bought cheap in 100m rolls in any plastic items supply. The advantage of this compared with a polipropilene rope is that it does not scare the fish as much, does not tangle as easy and has a slight give that helps dampening the surface waves. It is probably not as strong as the polipropilene rope, but since I only use it to pull on my float, I don't need anything stronger.

I don't know if I am helping much with this speech.....
Mikel_24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 08:44 AM   #3
jfjf

Paracord will sink. If you want to go cheap
Yellow polypropylene rope is cheap and should work. It tangles
more than a good floatline, however. Alternatively you might consider sending fish up on a inflatable float.
jfjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 10:21 PM   #4
Marco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikel_24 View Post

I don't know if I am helping much with this speech.....
You're not. He's spearing on scuba and he wants the boat to pull up his fish.

A braided polypropilene cord is what he needs.

A bad day fishing is ALWAYS better than a good day at work
Marco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 02:13 AM   #5
Mikel_24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco View Post
You're not. He's spearing on scuba and he wants the boat to pull up his fish. .
Crap....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco View Post
A braided polypropilene cord is what he needs.
At least I mentioned this option... in a way....

Hard for me to picture spearing on scuba!
Mikel_24 is offline   Reply With Quote