Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Mid-Atlantic States

Mid-Atlantic States A forum for the states of New York and New Jersey to better define the highly populated eastern US coast

Old 12-05-2018, 01:37 PM   #1
payton8308

Intro - South Jersey Spearo

Wanted to introduce myself to everyone on the board.

While I realize it is currently the offseason, I’m looking for a dive buddy to start doing some shore dives with next season. I take lots of photo/video while I’m out so I’m more than happy to send them to whoever I dive with.

I only ever did polespear stuff down in the Bahamas before this. But I’m addicted.

Got myself a 5mm wetsuit, a No Ka Oi mid handle speargun, etc. so I’m geared up.

Quick question: what’s everyone’s thoughts on a reel for a mid handle? I’ll mostly be doing shore dives, but I fully plan on also taking my No Ka Oi into blue water. Already have a trip booked in key west and plan to charter out to Hudson canyon a few times next summer.

Nice to meet you guys and join the community. Feel free to contact me directly on Instagram @nickdpayton

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
payton8308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 02:57 PM   #2
Mana'squal

Re: Intro - South Jersey Spearo

I'd slow down on the spending until you see what jersey diving is like. The best day here will be 20 feet visibility and you'll get that a few times of year. I get most of my fish in 5 feet of visibility in the cold murk. I gave you a follow on instagram.

You won't need a reel for anything you can shoot from shore but they help a little. Bluewater I would be using a breakaway for anything large anyway.

Make sure you have a good highly visibile float.. boaters are the most dangerous thing in the water.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Mana'squal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 03:55 PM   #3
payton8308

Thanks Mana.

I needed the gun and wetsuit. Did a lot of research beforehand. Just a float left to grab.

I’m familiar with jersey water, just haven’t speared it. Vis sucks mostly. That was the reason for the mid handle. Got the riffe bc I don’t need a second gun for blue water right away.

Appreciate the advice for the breakaway line, I’ll look into it.

Old 12-05-2018, 04:37 PM   #4
jersymudsniper

I dont know what size your gun is but if it can be used in bluewater its way to big lol. Cant even see the tip of a 44 inch midhandle half the time in nj. I dive with a 38 inch mid with a aussie reel. Only reason for a reel is i dive with my floatline attached to a drop weight. Nothing on me or gun. If shaft gets stuck and i gotta go up i'd never find my gun in our rediculouse murk. Plus when i boat dive need a reel. Its really a bummer in nj 75% of the time. Just in a crappy armpitt. But when there is vis its epic spearing.
jersymudsniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 05:16 PM   #5
payton8308

Yea vis can really suck sometimes. But when it’s so bad you can’t even see the tip of your gun, I doubt even a 2’ pole spear would help.

Old 12-06-2018, 09:09 AM   #6
Mana'squal

Yeah I didn't want to shit on your new gun, but a 55" gun you're way over length for most days. I use a 28" mid and a 42" mid. You can make a 40" mid work most days, but I get plenty of fish with my 28" in days I can only see 3 feet. If you can exchange it for a smaller one, I'd get the smallest they offer in their mid series the 38" tie on some small I'd 14.5s and never look back. Forget trying to get fluke with a 55" gun too. I'd really really really exchange the thing before it's too late.

Old 12-06-2018, 09:31 AM   #7
payton8308

I’m ok, really. I appreciate you looking out. I know of guys who use similar sized guns in the muck. I don’t aim down the sight so I’ll adjust as needed.

If I end up needing a smaller gun, I’ll look into it. But like I said I also travel to both reef and blue water destinations so I needed a gun that could function in both. Not just NJ’s.

Appreciate your feedback though. Loved your gun build on instagram.

Old 12-06-2018, 09:37 AM   #8
Mana'squal

Thanks man.

Jersey is just a tough love for the spearfishing, you'll see. We have amazing bounty but trying conditions. I get having a gun that can do both, but you're going to be SOL on the 3 foot of vis day. I'd recommend at least getting a shitty pole spear so on the day you would just be hosed due to gun length you can grab the pole and get tautog and fluke without issue.

Only 150 days until the season starts!

Old 12-06-2018, 10:10 AM   #9
payton8308

Ok yea I have a Jbl Shaka pole spear already.

Can be either 7’ or 4’.

I’ll always bring that with me just in case.