Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Miami and The Florida Keys

Miami and The Florida Keys Have a report, or want to discuss spearing in Miami or the Keys? Post here!

Old 10-18-2017, 10:17 AM   #1
One Breath One Kill

Marathon Grouper

It nice when no other boats have been on the water for a month.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Blacks.jpg
Views:	426
Size:	139.1 KB
ID:	235687   Click image for larger version

Name:	allb.jpg
Views:	443
Size:	74.5 KB
ID:	235688  

Follow me on Instagram - @One_Breath
One Breath One Kill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 11:22 AM   #2
Marco

Re: Marathon Grouper

Nice fish!

A bad day fishing is ALWAYS better than a good day at work
Marco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 12:42 PM   #3
kwyoungspear

Hell yeah! No one ever post fish anymore in the keys forum, glad someone finally did! How was the viz? Heard it's been pretty bad lately in key west.

My dad got this guy the other day in about 5 ft viz while lobstering.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1822.jpg
Views:	345
Size:	69.4 KB
ID:	235691  
Old 10-18-2017, 01:11 PM   #4
Marcus
Naval gazer extraordinair

Nice fish! Gulf side?
“If the natural tendencies of mankind are so bad that it is not safe to permit people to be free, how is it that the tendencies of these organizers are always good? Do not the legislators and their appointed agents also belong to the human race? Or do they believe that they themselves are made of a finer clay than the rest of mankind?”
― Frederic Bastiat, The Law
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 02:04 PM   #5
One Breath One Kill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco View Post
Nice fish!
Thanks man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwyoungspear View Post
Hell yeah! No one ever post fish anymore in the keys forum, glad someone finally did! How was the viz? Heard it's been pretty bad lately in key west.

My dad got this guy the other day in about 5 ft viz while lobstering.
Thats a headshot! Vis was good on the reef.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
Nice fish! Gulf side?
Ocean side

Old 10-18-2017, 02:18 PM   #6
Matt Hudson

Nice fish man! I'm glad vis is improving.
Matt Hudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 05:47 PM   #7
Marcus

Quote:
Originally Posted by One Breath One Kill View Post
Ocean side
Curious, educate me. I've been to the keys many times and, IMO, recognize that everyone knows about the coral heads/reefs within the drop off and I've never encountered such big fish within that area. Are you diving past the dropoff? I believed that these types of quality fish were taken on longer runs to the Gulf side. What am I missing? Is it because I've mainly gone down there during lobster season when such fish would be scared off? Yes, I've dived many places in the gully between the shore and the outer reef.
“If the natural tendencies of mankind are so bad that it is not safe to permit people to be free, how is it that the tendencies of these organizers are always good? Do not the legislators and their appointed agents also belong to the human race? Or do they believe that they themselves are made of a finer clay than the rest of mankind?”
Old 10-19-2017, 04:27 AM   #8
Keysdivers

Tuesday viz was 50ft out in deep water
Old 10-20-2017, 06:39 AM   #9
One Breath One Kill

Quote:
Curious, educate me. I've been to the keys many times and, IMO, recognize that everyone knows about the coral heads/reefs within the drop off and I've never encountered such big fish within that area. Are you diving past the dropoff? I believed that these types of quality fish were taken on longer runs to the Gulf side. What am I missing? Is it because I've mainly gone down there during lobster season when such fish would be scared off? Yes, I've dived many places in the gully between the shore and the outer reef.
This was over the drop off

Old 10-20-2017, 03:15 PM   #10
Jankglass

Quote:
nice fish for sure. the guys who get big fish consistently down here like that are doing 80-100+ ft drops and the scuba guys will go as far as 180(from what i hear).
Jankglass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 06:08 PM   #11
kwyoungspear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jankglass View Post
nice fish for sure. the guys who get big fish consistently down here like that are doing 80-100+ ft drops and the scuba guys will go as far as 180(from what i hear).
That's a good rule of thumb. However it's not like you can't shot big fish in shallow water. I guess it depends on what you think is big but I've shot plenty of 20-30 pound blacks in shallow water and have a handful of 50 pounders in less than 50 feet of water. A few years ago some guys in key west shot a 100 pound cubera in 25 feet of water!

Marcus, diving in August doesn't help you very much, when the water gets warm fish move into deeper water. The beginning of lobster season can be great though since a lot of people will leave the reef a line for a little.
Old 10-21-2017, 06:38 PM   #12
Marcus

Thanks for the replies. Interesting. I understand that the blacks/Gags don't like the warmer water so much and migrate much like they do here in Central FL. I always thought that the drop off was quite sudden. Are there coral heads and such there or natural reefs on the drop off? How far off the outer reef does it take to reach those depths? It's dramatic, looking at pics.
100lb Cubera in 25'! Wow! I have caught several VERY legal lobster in a foot of water. That's my biggest boast for the area.
Old 10-21-2017, 06:51 PM   #13
Jankglass

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwyoungspear View Post
That's a good rule of thumb. However it's not like you can't shot big fish in shallow water. I guess it depends on what you think is big but I've shot plenty of 20-30 pound blacks in shallow water and have a handful of 50 pounders in less than 50 feet of water. A few years ago some guys in key west shot a 100 pound cubera in 25 feet of water!

Marcus, diving in August doesn't help you very much, when the water gets warm fish move into deeper water. The beginning of lobster season can be great though since a lot of people will leave the reef a line for a little.
I agree I do most of my diving in shallow water and have gotten some quality fish. Although when i start to venture out to the drop offs 60+ i seen some biggins.
Jankglass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 05:10 AM   #14
captain.ed

Like KWYOUNGSPEAR said, depends on the time of year. You also have to remember that any big grouper that hangs out on the shallow reef are taken as soon as the season opens or they get really good at hiding. I used to spear on a shallow 30 foot reef for snapper but there was always one slob of a grouper there. However, he would jam himself 6 feet into in a hole and hide as soon as a diver showed up. I never shot at him but he was 50 lbs if he was an ounce. I didn't take home because it's my belief that big fish attract other big fish which was why the place consistently produced big mangroves and decent muttons. Haven't seen him this season (or any other grouper) on that little reef and I don't see as many decent mangroves there anymore.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
Old 11-07-2017, 07:17 AM   #15
Mobile Diver

Damn nice blacks!!
305 849 0866
Mobile Diver is offline   Reply With Quote