Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Pacific Northwest

Pacific Northwest Tell us about hunting in the PNW here!

Old 11-05-2012, 04:56 PM   #61
Lone Star Spearo
Extreme snorkeler

Re: Guys killed a giant pacific octopus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samson View Post
Your just making the rest of us look like uneducated, unthinking, uncaring assholes.
Pot, meet the kettle.
Old 11-05-2012, 05:21 PM   #62
Nerka
dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samson View Post
We have 200 miles of coast line here. No real spearo would EVER hunt in this area. And for as long as I have been here... none have. Anyone with a conscience just would not do so. No... this kid went to a place that he knew an octo was, to see if he could actually kill it. He did it in total disregard for the public opinion. He is not a spearo, just a kid who gets off killing shit. A kid who likes confrontation and telling the world to kiss off... he just bit off more than he can chew this time.... Karma is a Mother F&^ker ... isnt it?

The real problem here is that the Spearfishing industry is behind this kid.... We, The spearfishers of the world, should be proclaiming with a loud voice that we are not in favor of this dipshit, and that we stand with the Scuba world on this issue. And we should be screaming it from the rooftops! We need to make REAL SPEARO's seem as far removed from this kid as we possibly can! All you guys supporting this kid is just making it worse for all spearos. It makes us look just as bad as him! And it takes us one more step to banishment.
Was this you??

""The WDFW has been notified and I have a meeting with them this afternoon at 1:30. I am bringing all of the evidenced I have collected. The things this kid is doing besides taking GPO's is highly illegal and should get their attention.

I suggest a flier campaign with his photo on it killing this GPO. Make up a flier that is advocating the saving of GPO's and making Cove 2 a marine sanctuary. Use this guys photo to promote this. Plaster them everywhere around Seattle and Cove 2 as well as around this kids workplace and residence. Plaster his car with them.
Secondly, make a film about GPO's and go film the dying eggs and get the media involved. Call the news. They will have a hayday with this.
Anti hunters have been doing this sort of thing for years. The media will drool all over this. If someone wants to put a flier together, Ill donate my time and $$ to print off a few hundred. Perhaps others will as well.

In the mean time... I would suggest that any reference to the location of GPO's cease immediatly on all public forums. This kid doesent have the skills to find them himslef. He is obviously getting locations from the web. (He has photos of him in the hospital and a deco chamber on his facebook page).

Jaksonbrown
Perma Narc'd

""
Nerka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 05:28 PM   #63
Nailer99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank49 View Post
However, the place has been open to legal hunting of octos forever and they're still there. Why hasn't it been cleaned out yet? And others have stated that all the guy had to do was go 200 yards down the beach and he could get all the octos they want.

But I agree it was stupid on the part of the guy who killed it. But, the anti octo hunters should have just quietly petitioned to get the place closed to hunting. All this publicity is bad for spearfishing.
It hasn't been cleaned out yet because people just don't hunt octos there. It's the worst possible place these two Rhodes scholars could have chosen. Many of us were very surprised to discover that their actions were, in fact, legal. So, because of them, we're going to change the law.

Just to be clear- I'm not a troll. I have nothing against spear fishing. I don't do it myself, but I've been meaning to give it a try one of these days.
Nailer99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 06:03 PM   #64
Macdiver
Mike

All of you two-bit dicks that like to get on your computer from elsewhere and bitch about stuff in our backyard are clueless. Come here to do some spearing and see how crappy our regulations have become because of jerks like these and others.....Then you can talk!
Macdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 06:11 PM   #65
Hank49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macdiver View Post
All of you two-bit dicks that like to get on your computer from elsewhere and bitch about stuff in our backyard are clueless. Come here to do some spearing and see how crappy our regulations have become because of jerks like these and others.....Then you can talk!
never mind...But you guys aren't the only ones with problems like this. It seems to be a world wide portrait of us. Spearos are the bad guys.
Hank49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 06:24 PM   #66
Macdiver
Mike

Nothing wrong with replying to other posts elsewhere, but when we get put down for trying to defend whats left of our spearing rights...thats crap!
It's too bad a few jerks ruin it for everyone.
Old 11-05-2012, 06:49 PM   #67
Turyturbo
Deaf Merman

First of all, it is sad to see that the popular octopus got slayed but it have to die some day. It would be better to kill it to feed people instead of letting it die in the wild and tourists will mourn over its absence. Absence = absence.

Natural death = death by hunter except cause of chaos.

They should either do one of those:

1) Build an enormous aquarium for octopus where tourists can dive and visit them.
2) Buy that cove and put 'No Trespassing Allowed'
3) etc..

None of options above have been done, so it is completely legal even it is a heartbreaking...but...hey...don't we 'annoy' the customers/owner of stores by driving through their parking lot for a short-cut way or to dodge the bad traffic? Should they report and make it illegal for us the drivers? So that way we have to stuck in the middle of the traffic for a whole time. No thanks.

Only thing it will piss me off is if Mr. Miller do not consume all octopus meat. That's it.

By the way, in one post mentioned about visiting a zoo and snap a bambi in front of children. Bambi is on the property owned by some organization/association/owner/etc... while the octopus was on the property that is not owned by anyone unless I am wrong.....
Turyturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 07:04 PM   #68
Lone Star Spearo
Extreme snorkeler

Quote:
Nothing wrong with replying to other posts elsewhere, but when we get put down for trying to defend whats left of our spearing rights...thats crap!
It's too bad a few jerks ruin it for everyone.
Defending your rights?! That clown jacksonbrown/Cory/Samson is doing way more harm then helping. He was one that grabbed his pitch fork and torch right along with those other db's calling for this kid's head. Get off your high horse and take a look around.
Old 11-05-2012, 07:09 PM   #69
Macdiver
Mike

If this kid is going to try to ruin what little is left of our spearing rights, then that's where his head belongs...on the end of a spear!
Old 11-05-2012, 07:11 PM   #70
jackpine savage
Kill your food

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nailer99 View Post
It hasn't been cleaned out yet because people just don't hunt octos there. It's the worst possible place these two Rhodes scholars could have chosen. Many of us were very surprised to discover that their actions were, in fact, legal. So, because of them, we're going to change the law.

Just to be clear- I'm not a troll. I have nothing against spear fishing. I don't do it myself, but I've been meaning to give it a try one of these days.
You don't spearfish but you come on a spearfishing website to advocate banning what is a legal form of fishing. Smells lie a troll to me..
Old 11-05-2012, 07:13 PM   #71
Lone Star Spearo
Extreme snorkeler

Quote:
If this kid is going to try to ruin what little is left of our spearing rights, then that's where his head belongs...on the end of a spear!
Wow.
Old 11-05-2012, 07:14 PM   #72
jackpine savage
Kill your food

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky Mountain Spearo View Post
Wow.
I have to agree, WTF?
Old 11-05-2012, 07:35 PM   #73
Macdiver
Mike

You say "wow" and "wtf"...How would you feel if where you lived your spear regs were really limited(we only get 3 weeks out of the whole damn year to get ling cod in puget sound) and some punk comes along making waves and making spearo's look like shit so that they want to make things even tougher.
You would say the same thing or just give up spearing...F__k that!!!
Old 11-05-2012, 07:39 PM   #74
jackpine savage
Kill your food

I wouldn't threaten the kid, that is a pretty juvenile action. we have our own issues with fishing restrictions in the NE so its not like you are experiencing anything that other spear's aren't, its just we try to tackle our issues like adults instead of coming across like hot heads and punks. How about you or some other spear take the kid out diving and show him how to do things properly, that way you get another diver to behave on a manner that is compatible with your views.
Old 11-05-2012, 07:44 PM   #75
Macdiver
Mike

If he was willing to listen I would be more than happy too. But it's hard to say when he had already bragged about spearing in a different off limits area.