Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > Non-Gun DIY Projects and Customizations

Non-Gun DIY Projects and Customizations This section is for your DIY spearfishing projects and customization other then spearguns.

Old 06-29-2017, 04:01 PM   #1
e.m.p!

Weedtrimmer line for Mono?

Found 1.6mm nylon weedtrimmer line in our garden shop and it looks exactly like the stuff they sell in the shops for 3x the price. I bought 30m, but won't have the chance to test anytime soon. My understanding is that both, Mono and weedtrimmer line are made from nylon, so they surely come from the same spool/company? Has anyone had the same idea and/or any experience?
e.m.p! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 05:17 PM   #2
FreediveCA

Re: Weedtrimmer line for Mono?

I have not had the same idea... until now. Be interested to see the breaking strength. My guess would be quite low, however. Granted, the trimmer is spinning at high speed when it breaks off, but that stuff breaks easily. I want to say it tends to be more hard and brittle whereas the mono we typically purchase tends to be more soft and supple.
FreediveCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 01:13 AM   #3
e.m.p!

Well, I thought it may have even more tensile strength, given it needs to be as abrasive resistant as possible. Think it will have more memory though?
Old 06-30-2017, 01:50 AM   #4
phil herranen

Don't do it trimmer line will break and stretch , it is nowhere near as good as quality mono .

Use good mono you can get a 5# coil for $50
http://blueoceantackle.com/commercia.../monofilament/

frv owners discount http://spearboard.com/showthread.php?t=134606
phil herranen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 02:36 AM   #5
e.m.p!

Thanks Phil. That looks like the ticket, but won't get it in my neck of the woods. Not going to risk loosing a shaft with the line.
Old 06-30-2017, 09:27 AM   #6
Gary H
gangsta' speargun pioneer

Thanks for the link Phil, I've been paying a lot more per foot buying black outrigger mono from Basspro.

Fishing is like sex, you don't have to be good at it to enjoy it.
Gary H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 04:57 AM   #7
Azure Recluse
Another Aussie Spearo

Alot of different trimmer/ weed wacker lines you can buy... some suck as spearfishing mono, other's are great. You don't want to buy one that's too stiff. I've been using a specific brand of 1.6mm weedwacker on all my guns for the past 2 years with no issues whatsoever
Old 07-03-2017, 01:47 PM   #8
e.m.p!

so what's the brand? I've got a noname reel in light green and one called Red from "Oregon".
Old 07-24-2017, 05:59 AM   #9
Azure Recluse
Another Aussie Spearo

Sorry mate, I just saw your question. There's a few brands at my local hardware store and I've experimented with them all. I now avoid the "Saxon" or "Ozito" brand weed wacker lines. I don't remember the name of the one I have in bulk at the moment but it was the cheaper/ generic option and was not too soft/ not too stiff. There was also a commercial line available but it was 2-3x the price and although it worked well, I didn't think there was any advantage to justify the price jump. Since I'm in Australia, the brand names will mean nothing to you but my advice would be to head to Lowes or Home Depot, pick out a few of the lines and have a feel of them. Try them out over time (do some strength testing if you like) and you'll figure out what works well. Look at their longevity over the few months you'l have them on your guns etc. You might be pleasantly surprised how well the cheaper options work out.

If it ends up being cheaper than the spearfishing mono readily available, score! If not, you know what to avoid. Win, win
Old 07-24-2017, 05:49 PM   #10
e.m.p!

Thanks for that –*I'm in NZ, so chances are we have access to the same brands. I'll see how it goes…**
Old 08-07-2017, 07:03 PM   #11
Les Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by e.m.p! View Post
Found 1.6mm nylon weedtrimmer line in our garden shop and it looks exactly like the stuff they sell in the shops for 3x the price. I bought 30m, but won't have the chance to test anytime soon. My understanding is that both, Mono and weedtrimmer line are made from nylon, so they surely come from the same spool/company? Has anyone had the same idea and/or any experience?

I think it is like so many questions and the answer is, it depends:

I've used the weedtrimmer line on small spear guns for small fish and it works just fine.

However, if you are going after larger prey such as Kingfish, Tuna, etc, then I wouldn't want to rely on it for that.

Good luck
Old 08-08-2017, 10:30 AM   #12
peripatetic

Pretty much everyone here is using guns that cost anywhere from $200 to $1000. A shaft starts at $40. Is it really worth using substandard shooting line to save a couple of dollars?
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 06:56 PM   #13
Marco

It stretches a lot. Not good for me.

A bad day fishing is ALWAYS better than a good day at work
Marco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 02:30 AM   #14
e.m.p!

No, of course it's not worth loosing a shaft over. Though if it is the exact same stuff, off the same roll, from the same factory it's neither worth paying a premium for -insert brand here- "spearfishing" mono.
Wouldn't be the first. I was hoping someone could tell me it's the exact same stuff, but won't take the risk now.
Old 08-09-2017, 07:17 AM   #15
Azure Recluse
Another Aussie Spearo

I have bought multiple "spearfishing mono" 300 and 400lb rolls from different spearfishing stores... some have been terrible. The mark up is incredible. I'm gonna stick with weedwacker line. 1.6mm and 1.8mm. Good enough to land big kingys... good enough for me

Spending more doesn't always necessarily mean a better product