Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Miami and The Florida Keys

Miami and The Florida Keys Have a report, or want to discuss spearing in Miami or the Keys? Post here!

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 11 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-12-2014, 12:44 AM   #1
Alexrom1207

Key West Trip 11/28 to 12/5

Friends from the South,

Me and two buddies will be down in Key West from 11/28 to 12/5 for a spearfishing trip. We are all competent divers and shoot 100cm pneumatics, which we will be bringing. Will these be big enough for reef trips and some small pelagics (primarily Mahi)? We would like to do as much spearfishing as possible while we are down there, and will have a 19' boat for the duration of the trip.

What we are in need of is some advice on where to dive and what to target, or preferably another diver who knows the area and is interested in coming out to dive with us. We will cover gas. We want to avoid diving any areas that are protected, or shooting any undersized or out of season fish. We will do research to make sure we know what we are doing, but a local to help us out is always a better option. If ever we are in a position to repay the favor, we will be happy to do so. There may be a 6 pack or two in the deal also.

We do plan to do a spearfishing charter for a day (looking at Into the Blue Charters) to try to land some Wahoo or bigger pelagics. We plan on renting some big boy guns and buoys for that trip.

If you have any advice or if you'd be interested in diving with us, please let me know.

Also, what kind of wetsuits are you guys wearing this time of year. Our 5mm suits will be major overkill.

Thanks in advance guys.

Alex
Old 11-14-2014, 03:06 PM   #2
Alexrom1207

Re: Key West Trip 11/28 to 12/5

Also, does anyone know of a dive shop that can repressurize mares Cyrano Evo hf and omer airbalete guns? We are not looking forward to pumping these things up 700 times when we get there, if we can avoid it.

Thanks guys,
Alex
Old 11-14-2014, 04:01 PM   #3
kwtony
Snorkel Master

Alex, my friend. Youre out of luck. Aside from me and maybe two other people, fart guns just arent used. I have a dry barreld 115 sten all tricked out to the max.

3 mm suits are all youll need for a day of diving.

Also, there are no places around here that rent floats and floats lines, nor any sort of big guns...its certainly possible to shot mahi with shorts guns like your, but i wouldnt specifically recomend going out to the blue water undergunned or unprepared. Anything can happen and you could hook one on a rod and reel and shoot schoolies off the bunch for the next 15 min. But its. Hit or miss.

You can dive west of sand key all the way to the marquesas and find plenty on the reef and coral heads.

When the time gets closer youll be driving by my ski rental on mm24.5 if you can stop in, i can offer you local advice and pointers on where to go and what to do when you get there. Might be able to join you on a dive, as well. Were almost sold out the month of december so who knows if ill be able to get away or not.
Old 11-18-2014, 03:17 PM   #4
AndrewK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexrom1207 View Post
Also, does anyone know of a dive shop that can repressurize mares Cyrano Evo hf and omer airbalete guns? We are not looking forward to pumping these things up 700 times when we get there, if we can avoid it.

Thanks guys,
Alex
you may want to consider buying the attachment that allows you to pressurize a pneumatic gun off a SCUBA tank and bringing that along with you. I think spearfishing world sells them.
Old 11-18-2014, 05:12 PM   #5
kwtony
Snorkel Master

If you go by scubas world or spearfishing world (same place) they will fill your guns up for you. Pick up a few things and they will be happy to take care of it. They filled my gun up last time i was in.
Old 11-19-2014, 08:51 PM   #6
Alexrom1207

Thanks guys. I would buy the valve, it just seems so overpriced to me and the times I'm going to need it are so few. Tony, did scuba world have the valve connection to pressurize the gun?
Old 11-20-2014, 05:44 AM   #7
kwtony
Snorkel Master

They do have the attachemnt, but im not 100% they sell it, best to call and ask. They will fill them up for you if youre a customer, so pick up some gloves or something and ask them to pump them up for you. took about 3 minuets...considering it took a good 1200 pumps to get where i was ata before, i was thrilled it happend so quickly.
kwtony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 07:13 PM   #8
Alexrom1207

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwtony View Post
They do have the attachemnt, but im not 100% they sell it, best to call and ask. They will fill them up for you if youre a customer, so pick up some gloves or something and ask them to pump them up for you. took about 3 minuets...considering it took a good 1200 pumps to get where i was ata before, i was thrilled it happend so quickly.
Thanks so much everyone for all your help with our trip. Those who posted and those who PM'd. It's things like this that make this forum such a great resource. If I'm ever in a position to help you southerners out when you're up North, please let me know.

Cheers and dive safe everyone,
Alex
Old 11-23-2014, 11:29 AM   #9
Alexrom1207

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwtony View Post
I did a google search for scubaworld and spearfishing world, but came up with a million hits for scuba trips and vacation rentals and everything else under the sun. Do you know where this place is located or the phone number?

Thanks
Old 11-23-2014, 11:41 AM   #10
kwtony
Snorkel Master

Old 02-16-2015, 11:11 AM   #11
Alexrom1207

I meant to post this a long time ago, but after coming home and starting the new job, things just got away from me. I want to send out a HUGE thank you to everyone who helped us with our Key West trip. I figured that we may get one or two guys who would be interested in coming out on our boat and getting to fish for free in exchange for showing us the ropes a bit. What we actually got, really showed me just what an amazing community this is.

First, one Spearboarder loaned us a TON of amazing gear (guns, lines, floats, weights, belts). He even loaned us his best and newest gun! Which, coincidentally, took down some of the best fish of our trip, including some nice black grouper. A huge thank you there, as our pneumatics were great for reef diving, but came up a bit short when we were hunting in clear water at some of the deeper wrecks. The trust you showed in loaning us this equipment on a hand-shake promise that we would treat it well and return it really meant a lot.

Second, one Spearboarder kept in contact with us every single day of our trip. Unfortunately, due to mechanical issues on his boat and work obligations, he wasn't able to get out with us. However, he shared a ton of information about where to hunt and spots to avoid. He also updated us daily on the status of the visibility in different areas (via a service I guess you guys use that provides updated satellite photos). I should probably add that out trip to the keys coincided with a pattern of solid 25 knot wind and sea conditions kicking up to 5-8 feet outside the reef (but calming down later in our trip). Since we only had a week to dive, we dove everyday anyway. So, the weather and visibility updates were a huge help.

Third, lots of other guys shared great general information with us. Some on this thread, and others via private message. And, although were weren't able to necessarily use all of the information that everyone provided, or meet up with everyone due to our limited time down there, we really appreciated the efforts that people went through to help us out. Sending some good vibes your ways.

Finally, nyer (and I don't mind sharing his name since it is not a secret that he is a commercial diver regularly looking for divers in the keys) took us out for two amazing days of diving. He and Niko taught us a lot about how to hunt the species that you guys target down there, the habits and behaviors of certain fish, where they hide out, what to look for, etc... Some of this behavior was similar to what we see in the species that we hunt up North. However, A LOT of it was completely different, and without their help, we wouldn't have been half as successful. (Full disclosure, it took us a couple of days to get the hang of it , but our host was very patient and let us dive all day.) Also, given the sea conditions that we were facing, and that fact that we only had a 19' hybrid flats/ocean boat at our disposal, we never would have been able to access the spots and wrecks that Ben took us to, which really made our trip.

So...a BIG thank you to everyone for all of your help. Hopefully, some of you guys can make it up to the RI or CT areas so that we can repay the kindness and generosity that we were shown.

Best wishes and safe diving,

Alex

Here's a short video of some of the highlights. We were new to the use of the gopro, so some of the footage is rough.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QIWj...ature=youtu.be