Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > California Spearfishing

California Spearfishing Talk here about spearfishing on California's Pacific Coast, and post those reports and photos!

View Poll Results: How often do you carry a knife while spearfishing?
Always 331 85.97%
Most of the time 31 8.05%
Sometimes 8 2.08%
Practically never 11 2.86%
Never 4 1.04%
Voters: 385. You may not vote on this poll

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 16 votes, 4.81 average. Display Modes
Old 06-09-2014, 01:33 AM   #46
Mikeycc0023

Re: How often do you carry a knife while spearfishing?

Could anyone share a photo about how they attach their knife to their belt. Thanks
Mikeycc0023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 06:09 AM   #47
2fishin2
Pacific Spearo

Do you think we could conclude this udderly ridiculos pole now? All the OPs dive buddies and the rest of spearboard have concluded that only knuckleheads dont dive with a knife. And for trying to side track us and ask stupid questions like why we carry them you get a D-. WTF is wrong with people sometimes??
2fishin2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 06:33 AM   #48
AJP
Reluctant User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2fishin2 View Post
Do you think we could conclude this udderly ridiculos pole now? All the OPs dive buddies and the rest of spearboard have concluded that only knuckleheads dont dive with a knife. And for trying to side track us and ask stupid questions like why we carry them you get a D-. WTF is wrong with people sometimes??
Hahaha!

Okay, this should wrap it up:

AJP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 08:09 AM   #49
kwtony
Snorkel Master

Cmon woody. stupid useless polls like this are what spearboard is all about.

Next potential poll

Do you guys always use fins while scuba diving,
How often do you wear a mask while freediving
does taking a poop in the water immediately affect your bottom time
What does manatee taste MORE like? bald eagle, Caribbean monk seal or an Asian unicorn
kwtony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 09:49 AM   #50
sfmill
checkthewater

Its like watching a episode of Seinfeld reading your posts. (Kwtony, 2fishin2).
Too good!!!
sfmill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 09:59 AM   #51
kwtony
Snorkel Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeycc0023 View Post
Could anyone share a photo about how they attach their knife to their belt. Thanks
Old 06-09-2014, 10:30 AM   #52
Namor
Goletard

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwtony View Post
I run the belt on the side of the sheath that is against the body. the way it is in that pick it looks like it would be really easy to nick the belt putting the knife back in its sheath. Even the tiniest nick can cause the belt to tear when it is stretched.

I put mine on my game bag so that if I drop my weights I still have the knife on me.

Jeremy
Old 06-09-2014, 10:50 AM   #53
kwtony
Snorkel Master

That kind of scenario could happen with any location you put the knife at...you could cut your femoral artery, knick you radial, or jab yourself in the stomach. I guess anything could happen, but ive been doing it this way for years, And ive never cut a belt..Since the knife is on a lanyard, ill drop it if i cant put it the holster at the moment. While I can sheath the knife instinctively and know how to guide it in without looking, I still look.

This is just my way, and not the only way. Im probably doing it all wrong anyhow.
Old 06-09-2014, 11:27 AM   #54
Egorham007

I said most of the time, because there's been a couple of dives where I forgot it. I still hunt with a polespear though so don't have to deal with shooting line. I honestly think I dive a little bit safer and stay out of the kelp more when I don't have it.
Egorham007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 01:52 PM   #55
riff
><>

And Thread /Closed

to sum it up: Majority of people carry at least 1 knife... some carry 2 or more
Everyone expects to lose a knife here and there so don't put too much money into one, unless you want to.

Some people don't carry knives and even though everyone says to buy one they still wont. Live (or not) and learn (or dont).

- Practice cutting lines with knives.

- If diving in kelp note that it may tangle so placement is critical.

Other than that everything else has been said multiple times.

END
riff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 04:08 PM   #56
phil herranen

Quote:
Originally Posted by spearthebigones View Post
Ha you backstabber Josh!

Yeah I know I could die if I got tangled in my own shooting line.

I guess I'm not too fond of dive knives as I've had them tangle on things underwater, lost hundreds of dollars worth of knives on shoredives, heard the noise knives make as they rattle in their sheaths, have to reposition them underwater, the uncomfortable feeling of the sheath pressing up against my body, the rust that builds up rapidly, and having one more thing on my body that isn't streamlined. With all those dumb little reasons I've just gotten in to the bad habit of leaving my knife in the car.

As for the wsb comment. Diving solo and retrieving a fish at depth is rather easy for me, with or without a knife. My breath hold is around 1:15 average, so it's something I feel very comfortable and capable of doing by myself. It's just easy
any quality wetsuit has a knife pocket now ( jbl has one on each leg ) a knife in the pocket will never snag on anything , will only be lost if you drop it out of your hand , and is very ez to get out when you need it . you can put any knife in the pocket that has a sheath , or even a folding knife

if you have a suit that dosent have a pocket you can add one for under $20

there is really no reason not to have one on you , even if you rarely ever want to use it

phil

frv owners discount http://spearboard.com/showthread.php?t=134606
phil herranen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 04:59 PM   #57
spearthebigones
Daniel

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil herranen View Post
any quality wetsuit has a knife pocket now ( jbl has one on each leg ) a knife in the pocket will never snag on anything , will only be lost if you drop it out of your hand , and is very ez to get out when you need it . you can put any knife in the pocket that has a sheath , or even a folding knife

if you have a suit that dosent have a pocket you can add one for under $20

there is really no reason not to have one on you , even if you rarely ever want to use it

phil

Thanks for the suggestion Phil. I'm planning on using my knife pocket on my next wsb dive. Just to see how it goes. Before this thread I had written off using that pocket, since I caused a leak in my last wetsuit when I tried carrying a small dive light inside the pocket. Hopefully this time it won't happen.
Old 06-09-2014, 08:30 PM   #58
Smesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJP View Post
Hahaha!

Okay, this should wrap it up:

http://youtu.be/_N4hprpRJhM
Aahahahaha!
Smesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 10:06 PM   #59
kwtony
Snorkel Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfmill View Post
Its like watching a episode of Seinfeld reading your posts. (Kwtony, 2fishin2).
Too good!!!
Haha, thanks. Woody is a hoot. My only question is, who's Jerry and who's Kramer??

Old 06-09-2014, 11:06 PM   #60
jfjf

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwtony View Post

These are two of the three knives i usually carry in my dive bag. Each has its purpose. But they still cost 3.99...They are made by a company called promarnets.com. They have a good sheath and a sharp tip. If you rotate the blade 180 degrees in its sheath, it'll lock in place with a little tension and not slide out.

Im going to buy a dozen of these, oil them up and put in a box. When one gets dull, ill throw it back in it. When i run out*of new blades, ill give them all a few minuets on the wet stone...boom...new knives!!
I don't see a lot of value in having a knife on a lanyard, particularly for a freediver. It seems to me that it would present more of an entanglement hazard. Also if you are using a cheap knife, why add all the hardware to save a cheap knife? Adding a clip like that (which is a line trap itself) is not something I would choose to do either.

If your objective is to prevent the loss of a knife during an actual emergency, then I think I would choose to take two (cheap) knives, rather than add the coiling lanyard to one knife.

Lastly, for people that have trouble with corrosion.. I coat the blade in vaseline. It is non-toxic, non-water soluble, will NOT rinse off and is very inexpensive. If you use it a few times, you need to smear some more on the blade, but it only takes a moment.
jfjf is offline   Reply With Quote