Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > California Spearfishing

California Spearfishing Talk here about spearfishing on California's Pacific Coast, and post those reports and photos!

Old 09-09-2019, 08:06 PM   #1
Bob Ballew

The Other Side of the Conception Coin..

..I am flipping our discussion from a boat issue to a just as important, diving issue....If you know any of the crew members or owners, now is the time to step up and give them some emotional support. It is a dark time in their lives and not much light at the end of the tunnel for now. Ir-regardless of the outcome of the investigation, they are an ingrained part of our diving family and entitled to fair treatment by our diving community. The emotional scars on the heart and mind will live with them for years to come. How well they cope will depend in large part, on how we treat them and on good psychological counseling.
...We learn what not to do by making mistakes that teach us what we should do. That is how laws and new regulations come to be made. We can all do the "woulda, shoulda, coulda" second guessing or show some compassion and act like human beings.
...Hell, if making mistakes could send everyone to jail, we would all be doing 99 years......and, all the prosecutors would get promotions based on their 100 percent conviction rate...……….just one old man's take on life...

…"When bad things happen to you in life, half the people don't care and the other half are glad it is you and not them"...Les Brown, a black motivational speaker and man of common sense

Last edited by Bob Ballew; 09-09-2019 at 10:15 PM.
Bob Ballew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 09:55 PM   #2
popgun pete

Re: The Other Side of the Conception Coin..

I think the crew will be in shock and suffering from the ordeal of which they could easily have been part of the death toll. Likely a wild card has been played here beyond anyone's control and when you have the FBI involved this is no simple or ordinary accident. The vessel operated successfully for many years and passed all its inspections. Now like an airliner falling out of the sky the impetus will be to discover the cause lest a repeat occur somewhere else as there may be a factor here that imperils many vessels. If a new and unanticipated danger has reared its head we all need to know about it. Lighting the vessel up from end to end with flames pouring out both exits signals something very different has happened here and the crew has had zero time to react.

For myself I am now discarding all my no name lithium ion chargers for genuine intelligent chargers with computer control. Unfortunately you can find smart chargers where “smart” is the charger’s name, like a “Bob” or a “Sam” charger, the name is a con.

Even then don't leave a charger in an unattended area or while everyone is asleep, I am sure that if shit happens these things can kill you.
popgun pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 10:09 PM   #3
Bob Ballew

A "Bob" charger made in China? You really know how to hurt a guy.....
Bob Ballew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 10:52 PM   #4
popgun pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Ballew View Post
A "Bob" charger made in China? You really know how to hurt a guy.....
Well Bob it was just a top of the head name, could be Ted, Frank or Harry. But the Chinese have a penchant for labelling their stuff with what you expect to see on a device when it could be merely a box decoration, like from the legitimate box that they copied. Equally "meets all current standards" could be another item name. Watches are produced with WR 200 or WR 300 because that is what it says on the ones they copied, when probably they may hardly survive a swim. Like a Sieko Tuno (sic) 600 dive watch, “Sieko Tuno 600” is the name of the watch, more fool you if you think it says something else and paid good money for it. The devaluing of terminology means that you cannot trust many items from China unless they bear legitimate safety approvals (these can be faked as well). A few years back some electric scooters all went up in flames. They were virtually dead copies, but to save money the protection circuits were omitted from the chargers without actually saying so.

https://www.theatlantic.com/technolo...loding/587005/

Especially note this comment from the above article " In the case of batteries, batches of lithium-ion cells made in China that don’t pass inspection sometimes end up listed by sellers on Amazon".

Last edited by popgun pete; 09-14-2019 at 08:30 PM. Reason: added a reference and comment
Old 09-25-2019, 12:27 AM   #5
popgun pete

Here is what I got rid of and what replaced it. The new charger will not charge any cell that it analyses as faulty, the other unit as they say charged on regardless. Even so no charging overnight or left unattended as otherwise fire fighters may be greeting you when you return to a smoking ruin that used to be your home.
Old 09-25-2019, 01:40 AM   #6
Ron S

Pete,
I don't know a lot about the lithium ion technology, but I'm learning. Some of our search and rescue volunteers bought made in China headlamps that ran on 18650 batteries. They had built in chargers, boasted 1,000 lumen output, and cost around $15-$20.
They were indeed bright and worked great on night searches. Scary thing was, one of our guys bought 4 of them. One just stopped working, but one caught fire in his vehicle while charging and caused a real mess. Thank God it wasn't on his head at the time!

I now use a couple headlamps and a dive light that are powered by lithium ion batteries, but I too use a Nitecore charger and name brand circuit protected batteries. I also don't leave them unattended while charging. In addition, I don't store batteries in any device when not in use. I ordered multiple plastic battery boxes for storage.

Lithium ion batteries are wonderfully powerful, but they're scary little buggers!
Ron.
Ron S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 06:32 PM   #7
Deadmanh

Additionally, We could charge our lithium ion (and others) batteries etc in fire retardant type enclosures. For example these are some bags I found on Amazon, and I'm considering purchasing something like this: (Any thoughts?)

https://www.amazon.com/COLCASE-Firep...MXWCVBN7RKQ28J

https://www.amazon.com/ENGPOW-Firepr...MXWCVBN7RKQ28J
Deadmanh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 11:05 AM   #8
Marcus
Naval gazer extraordinair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadmanh View Post
Additionally, We could charge our lithium ion (and others) batteries etc in fire retardant type enclosures. For example these are some bags I found on Amazon, and I'm considering purchasing something like this: (Any thoughts?)

https://www.amazon.com/COLCASE-Firep...MXWCVBN7RKQ28J

https://www.amazon.com/ENGPOW-Firepr...MXWCVBN7RKQ28J
This is a cheap/easy solution for a boat as well...just run the power cord thru a small hole and use fire retardant sealant. One would have to find a way to keep the inside from overheating. Re-freezable ice packs come to mind.
“If the natural tendencies of mankind are so bad that it is not safe to permit people to be free, how is it that the tendencies of these organizers are always good? Do not the legislators and their appointed agents also belong to the human race? Or do they believe that they themselves are made of a finer clay than the rest of mankind?”
― Frederic Bastiat, The Law
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 10:18 AM   #9
Ron S

If those work I could certainly use one. When camping or hunting I charge batteries, radio, and phone off the accessory port in my truck. Always nervous about it and constantly checking on it.
Ron S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 10:44 AM   #10
popgun pete

I think such bags need to be put to the test, I have seen "fireproof items" as claimed not live up to expectations. The problem with lithium ion batteries is lithium is a reactive metal and the energy stored is chemical energy. Rupture the cell and liberate the contents and that energy releases in a show of spectacular fireworks. They are potentially little incendiaries, but only when charged up, no chemical energy, i.e. flat and they will not burn. That high energy density which makes them so useful is the risk built into them. They need to be managed and certainly not abused. A few Tesla cars have crashed then burned as the collision ruptured some of their cells which then lit up all their pals in the vehicle’s underfloor chassis. Not all collisions do that, but it is a risk, if some drunk in say a big rig steamrolls you on the freeway into a road barrier.

https://www.businessinsider.com.au/t...19-5?r=US&IR=T
Old 09-27-2019, 11:01 AM   #11
popgun pete

What we need are standards that can be complied with, e.g. this fireproof bag meets US Standards ABCxyz000 and Kpx999 as certified by etc, etc. Then you can believe in it. Something that sells for about 10 bucks may not be all that it is cracked up to be. Not wishing to besmirch the products, but you need to be sure they can do their job. One advantage is if things look bad then you can hurl the bag and everything in it into the drink.

That all said, this testimonial is very good.

Warning:
Never leave charging battery unattended.
Always ensure the battery is on a non-flammable surface.
Ensure the lipo safe bag is sealed while charging.
The Lipo safe bag is intended to reduce the chances of damaged in the event of a lipo fire.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	example.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	67.2 KB
ID:	244109   Click image for larger version

Name:	example 2.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	70.8 KB
ID:	244114  

Last edited by popgun pete; 09-27-2019 at 04:04 PM. Reason: added warning from site
Old 09-27-2019, 04:31 PM   #12
popgun pete

Just ordered one.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/RC-Lipo-Bat....c100005.m1851
Old 09-27-2019, 11:06 PM   #13
Huntersmoon
The Creature

Cause is still a mystery to investigators
Old 09-28-2019, 02:22 PM   #14
Marcus
Naval gazer extraordinair

Quote:
Originally Posted by popgun pete View Post
Coool. Test it and report. I'm sure one could find some old phones not being used with lithium ion batteries. All it requires is charged battery with a puncture.
This solution appears fine for smaller cell charging as the wattage of the charger isn't a concern for overheating the bag.
I just looked at a RC battery charger that wasted 55 Watts. That would get a bag hot very quickly...would need some sort of cooling inside the bag. Sealed ice pack would work.
“If the natural tendencies of mankind are so bad that it is not safe to permit people to be free, how is it that the tendencies of these organizers are always good? Do not the legislators and their appointed agents also belong to the human race? Or do they believe that they themselves are made of a finer clay than the rest of mankind?”
― Frederic Bastiat, The Law
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 03:17 PM   #15
popgun pete

Could always resort to one of these with a few vent holes.
https://www.amazon.com/50-Cal-Milita.../dp/B07BZR4L99