Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Tournament and Event Archives > 2008 Tournament Archives > 2008 SBO Blue Storm Classic - May 17-18

2008 SBO Blue Storm Classic - May 17-18 This is the traditional Spearboard Open to be held May 17-18, 2008 - New Port Richey Rotary Pavilion

Old 05-23-2008, 12:15 PM   #1
normanhghntr

is this true?

is it true that one of the members of this dqd team is representing us in the worlds? hmmmm
Old 05-23-2008, 12:49 PM   #2
diverik
The Duck-footed Destroyer

Re: is this true?

yes
Old 05-23-2008, 06:55 PM   #3
Smudge
Squid

That's ok though. He's a WAY better spearfisherman than you or I so it's ok if he cheats...
Smudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 10:29 AM   #4
diverik
The Duck-footed Destroyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smudge View Post
That's ok though. He's a WAY better spearfisherman than you or I so it's ok if he cheats...
Old 05-24-2008, 01:22 PM   #5
normanhghntr

they should i think integrity and sportsmanship is what should represent us, not someone willing to cheat to win
Old 05-24-2008, 01:42 PM   #6
So-Cal Spearo
Austin Derry

If he was such a great spearo he wouldnt have cheated. I would kick his ass off the team if it was up to me. Even if he is some magical world class diver, to risk the whole team on one cheating loser seems too risky.

So-Cal Spearo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 11:32 AM   #7
kitespearo
KITESPEARO

Send a message via MSN to kitespearo

Yeah didn't you guys see Cool Runnings?????hahaha
kitespearo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 03:53 PM   #8
saleen90

I googled him to see what would come up, its a shame (not really) that when you look all his big fish http://www.scubasworld.com/photos/ca...ag/harolf+dean that you have to now wonder about all of those past "great" fish as well.

Ban him!
saleen90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 10:46 AM   #9
threw-er-back

I personally dont want him representing me in any fashion...Cheaters are losers and losers are cheaters
Old 05-30-2008, 11:40 AM   #10
BigMako
Keith Simmons

I don't care how good he is, I'd rather not see him represent the US in any event.
Old 05-30-2008, 01:54 PM   #11
Smudge
Squid

Bullshit. It's sport. Not a corporation. Marion Jones is a cheater and she's in prison. Corporate raiders and world class atheletes cannot be compaired.
Old 05-30-2008, 06:12 PM   #12
normanhghntr

i agree, the point is its an honor to be competing at the world level, it doesnt matter that the tourn doesnt count for it, and this has nothing to do with scuba or freediving its a matter of integrity so if hes just made a mistake then show me all the wonderful things this person has done and speak up and apologise for what you did, its always much easier in the long run to tell the truth , come clean, and be honest as far as im concerned ban him and giva a chance to some one who really wants it. who cares how good he is i know a dozen people who are just as good. (Im not one of them) so where is his explanation come on speak up
Old 05-30-2008, 06:25 PM   #13
keysdiver0106
WWW.SPEARCRAZY.COM

Send a message via AIM to keysdiver0106

Really... I just like to go out and spearfish....I don't even give a shit who the hell Harolf Dean is.....How does this affect any of us on a personal level?...unless you were on his team at the SBO
keysdiver0106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 07:17 PM   #14
Smudge
Squid

It affects me because I'm an American and I'm patriotic. Harolf Dean is an American, representing The United States of America on a world class level. Whether or not you aspire to compete on that level or any level you are still being represented as an American by a cheater. Americans get enough bad press on the world scene, we certainly don't need any more.
Old 05-30-2008, 08:30 PM   #15
Man-O-War
Lothario

If he (allegedly) repeatedly cheated in SBO, most likely he has done the same in other competitions and/or tournaments. Are you saying US Team will gain credibility with him competing? I personally dont think cheating is quietly acceptable, and should be exposed if/when it happens

Quote:
Originally Posted by apexpredator View Post
I have a friend who is a corporate recruiter and he tells me in confidence that big corporations sometimes look favorably on candidates that have had allegations of cheating at the college level as long as their grades are very good. Their reasoning for this is that such people are so incredibly competitive and goal driven that they would even consider cheating to get that extra edge. Makes sense....can you imagine being a A student and being so driven that an A minus seems out of the question?....me neither I guess that's why I have a regular job and graduated college with a B average.

About Harolf....I understand the dude is an animal. Everyone who has dove with him says he has incredible ability. He has probably dedicated himself greatly to have earned a spot on the worlds team. The SBO is not a event that count towards or should affect his eligibility for the US Worlds Team. Some suggest the US may take a credibility hit by including him.....I don't think so. I bet he will do a great job representing the USA if he is willing to continue to make the sacrifices and put forth the effort to attend the event. People here should just quietly accept that sometimes good people make big mistakes.

All this hype and hoopla about "rooting out" cheaters and polygraphs probably makes for good TV and someone out there is probably pretty happy about that.

BTW his credibility at the international level probably takes a bigger hit by people knowing that he competed in a event that includes scuba shooters than by them knowing that he allegedly cheated to place higher....I am not saying that is right I am just stating what people probably think in the international freedive spearfishing circuit. Just about anywhere else other than the USA scuba spearing is perceived as a harvest (or poaching) activity and not a competitive sport.
Man-O-War is offline   Reply With Quote