Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > General Topics (Non-regional) > General Spearfishing & Diving Discussion

General Spearfishing & Diving Discussion This is where you post to discuss general spearfishing topics that could apply to any region.

Old 03-31-2018, 05:00 AM   #61
kodama

Re: Make Spearboard Great Again

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2fishin2 View Post

Right now there is this crowdfunding campaign for a book about 99 spearfishing tips from professionals around the world. Why hasn't this made it to our forum?

Just my .35 cents
Very good point!
Let's do this and support this great initiative:

http://spearboard.com/showthread.php...34#post2164634

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...t-spearfishing
kodama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 07:26 AM   #62
100days-a-year
Seafood Sifu

I weaned myself off even glancing at PnR.As a few people pointed out,forums have been replaced by social media for many of the needs SB originally served.
I am just about completely off FS,being fl of cones mostly.
Off Decostop as it's dead and come to Scubaboard and here rarely as I have more control over content on social media.I pop in for a minute here and there.

Tony could do a little more,as could the members but largely I think it is the evolution of our abilities to interact using the internet that have changed .
100days-a-year is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 12:06 PM   #63
CuzzA

I think part of the problem is vbulletin. It's my understanding they went to shit. This site has not been updated, for good reason I'm sure, and therefore is not mobile, tech or social friendly by modern standards. I rarely check it on mobile.

The amount of work to move this site to a better software like XenForo is probably preventing it from being great again.

I am surprised Tony hasn't chimed in at this point.
CuzzA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 01:21 PM   #64
kodama

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuzzA View Post

This tread should stay alive until he does.
I remember not too long ago there was some mud trowing going on in another tread and one of the admins eventually stepped up. Hopefully they will pick up on this one too and do the right thing. Looking forward to hear from them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
kodama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 03:41 PM   #65
Marcus
Naval gazer extraordinair

The sense of entitlement here is gut wrenching. This is a free forum that isn't harvesting your data and treating you like human cattle like fakebook and google. Is this a millennial thing or just ignorance talking?
This forum was created before fakebook. It was created by a visionary, Scott McPhearson, in anticipation of the future of communications and the willingness to promote the sport in the infancy of the real start of social media across the web. It was a vehicle that brought together the roughest, rowdy, witty, knowledgeable, egocentric, diverse, opinionated, and passionate spearfishing enthusiast together. It was a genesis of tournaments that fomented a brotherhood. It was a blast. Even spearfishermen from Louisiana, Hell divers club(Wassup Rock!), drove down in a Winnebago to the tournaments to participate and hang with us.
To be continued...
Edit: Sheesh, this thread has 2.3k views already. There MUST be something here worth saving. I have some ideas in part 2...or maybe 3, I'm not done with my diatribe yet.
“If the natural tendencies of mankind are so bad that it is not safe to permit people to be free, how is it that the tendencies of these organizers are always good? Do not the legislators and their appointed agents also belong to the human race? Or do they believe that they themselves are made of a finer clay than the rest of mankind?”
― Frederic Bastiat, The Law

Last edited by Marcus; 03-31-2018 at 03:50 PM.
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 08:56 PM   #66
Marcus
Naval gazer extraordinair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
The sense of entitlement here is gut wrenching. This is a free forum that isn't harvesting your data and treating you like human cattle like fakebook and google. Is this a millennial thing or just ignorance talking?
This forum was created before fakebook. It was created by a visionary, Scott McPhearson, in anticipation of the future of communications and the willingness to promote the sport in the infancy of the real start of social media across the web. It was a vehicle that brought together the roughest, rowdy, witty, knowledgeable, egocentric, diverse, opinionated, and passionate spearfishing enthusiast together. It was a genesis of tournaments that fomented a brotherhood. It was a blast. Even spearfishermen from Louisiana, Hell divers club(Wassup Rock!), drove down in a Winnebago to the tournaments to participate and hang with us.
To be continued...
Edit: Sheesh, this thread has 2.3k views already. There MUST be something here worth saving. I have some ideas in part 2...or maybe 3, I'm not done with my diatribe yet.

This forum was built upon the backs of experienced spearfishermen that were looking for an outlet to share their experiences amongst likewise suitors that showed their willingness to learn...all in the spirit of promoting the sport. I would've never have heard about the greats if it weren't for this forum. There are SO many stories buried right here in this forum that are archived. I'd could name many examples.
Hell, I remember my newby introduction in which I responded to a entrepreneur poster of the sport, Fishkilla(posted above), in which I was proud of having shot two mangos in one shot. From my recollection, he was posting on a newspaper site at the time.

As to this forum's demise:

Fakebook: In what was disguised as a better medium, people flocked to it. Head long and foolish, they proceeded to socially engage in an atmosphere in which everything was shared for free...or so they foolishly thought. Fact is, FB was/is a CIA funded entity and now all info shared and is being used by everyone that has an interest in controlling and/or pandering to your money.

Fishing Regs: The oppressive regs, via th Magnuson-Stevens act, which have allowed the Fed's takeover the states' rights. It has subverted states' rights to control their own regulation. FL, for example, was the paradigm of successful fish regs...but that didn't keep them from being a wrecking ball for the purpose of Agenda 21. When you have unlimited powers to print money and bribe states, you have control.

Economy: Regardless of the tripe that the Fed gov't has been feeding us, it's all BS. Fact is, we've been in a recession since 2008 when they bailed out everyone else except for the common man. Everyone is hurting. Inflation and the outsourcing of our labor in many industries has taken it's toll. Money for pleasure has been seriously diminished, thus the reduction in participation of the sport.

Enough with the sad stuff, how do WE fix it?

There is a trove of info on this site. It was built upon the shoulders of giants. New peeps coming here and complaining that there isn't any valuable content is like sand in my ass. Entitlement anyone??
Create content!

I also am calling upon the veterans to 'bump' old threads that contain such knowledge. I'll try to remember those threads and do the same. I firmly believe, with the awakening of those being used like tools by the likes of Fakebook, that the rebirth of forums like this is inevitable.
The owner, Tony, from what I know, hasn't ever pimped out any members' info. I've been here since the earliest days. I admire the fact that he hasn't intervened in this discourse, nor should he give a crap, given the fact it isn't making him any money. This is what you want to make of it.

FFS make the right decision. Stop being a complainer and do something to help...if'n you want a free forum that brings together the community and doesn't use you like a commodity.
“If the natural tendencies of mankind are so bad that it is not safe to permit people to be free, how is it that the tendencies of these organizers are always good? Do not the legislators and their appointed agents also belong to the human race? Or do they believe that they themselves are made of a finer clay than the rest of mankind?”
― Frederic Bastiat, The Law
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 08:06 PM   #67
fishkilla
Slayographer

Send a message via AIM to fishkilla

this is a great place and i do have some things in the works that might be able to breath some new life into forums like this. the historical data that lays submersed below layers of stagnant waters is quite immense. it would be interesting to have an anthropologist sift through the years of data and show the progression/digression of how the users interacted with each other.

here is something that is truly remarkable and interesting about a small part of how this board has influenced my life.

i posted years ago (and some where on this forum should still be the thread) that i was headed to the keys for spring break and was looking for a boat to go diving with. Keyspearfisher responded and offered an extra room to crash in and a boat ride with his friend JohnyLongblades. JLB introduced me to his friend Chris Forsee. We became friends. Forsee moved to Sebring some years later and became friends with a couple that introduced me to my Suzy.

there are many more stories similar and almost as great. Catching Hell might not have ever come about without this forum. i don't know how that may strike you but it worked out well for me and a few others.
Old 04-01-2018, 08:48 PM   #68
CuzzA

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishkilla View Post
this is a great place and i do have some things in the works that might be able to breath some new life into forums like this. the historical data that lays submersed below layers of stagnant waters is quite immense. it would be interesting to have an anthropologist sift through the years of data and show the progression/digression of how the users interacted with each other.

here is something that is truly remarkable and interesting about a small part of how this board has influenced my life.

i posted years ago (and some where on this forum should still be the thread) that i was headed to the keys for spring break and was looking for a boat to go diving with. Keyspearfisher responded and offered an extra room to crash in and a boat ride with his friend JohnyLongblades. JLB introduced me to his friend Chris Forsee. We became friends. Forsee moved to Sebring some years later and became friends with a couple that introduced me to my Suzy.

there are many more stories similar and almost as great. Catching Hell might not have ever come about without this forum. i don't know how that may strike you but it worked out well for me and a few others.
Man, how would I ever have found like minded guys to dive with? I was eager to introduce myself to the board and get on a boat. Just a few years ago I was green as hell trying not to kill myself. Last year I got to do some of the most awesome diving yet. Pretty much all thanks to the board. I'd love to see this place really come back to life. Lurkers and newbies should join, ask questions, get on a boat. This sport has changed my way of life.
CuzzA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 06:28 AM   #69
sharpshooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishkilla View Post

I met Ben (Fishkilla) on this site and later on ran several trips aboard the Holy-Spear-It on live aboard trips to the Middle Grounds (MG for short) as the second capt./divemaster. I was truly impressed how back then, he could lug around a huge video camera filming fish as he shot. Then, his videos would be posted on here. We all looked forward to the videos then, as we now look forward to Dan's videos (HeadHunter) today. Just noticed Ben and I have been on here for 15 years. I met a lot of divers on those trips. Some who have became diving friends to this day due to this forum. On this site, I just go to new posts and scan/click at what I want to see that interests me. A few of us post the local fish/vis reports regularly. Really, nice knowing if it's worth going out or not. Or which areas have bad vis vs. good vis. Wish more would do the same.
sharpshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 06:18 PM   #70
rhyne

my personal .02 cents...
this site used to be a place to come, learn, meet like minded people. served a purpose and expanded my world. now i log in every once in a while, click new posts and see wayyyyyy too many political and just straight stupid nonsense being posted thats not worth wasting much time digging in to. there's certainly no shortage of keyboard professionals bashing everything that would be a worthwhile post too.
I'd be very interested in having control over what categories I can access if that's possible... and have little interest in hearing what a handful-ish of posters have to say about the worlds political climate. seems like most of the people I used to value input from have moved on or can be found on facebook and other sites with better content contributions.
but... this still serves as the place I'd point a random new diver to learn about the sport (along with a warning to not take it too seriously).

www.BRINKexpeditions.com - 6-pack Spearfishing, fishing & Custom Charters. San Diego, CA
Your Gateway to What Lie Beyond the Shoreline

www.coroflot.com/RyanSweeney - Apparel Design & Development
rhyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 10:52 PM   #71
mepps1

Lots of good and valid thoughts here. Even from people who don't agree on much of anything else.

My own 2 cents, in random order;

#1 Nobody really knows on which side Tony's bread is buttered. If it's buttered on any side at all. I don't know if he makes anything whatever- ever from SB. Neither (probably) does probably anyone else who has commented.

#2 There is less high-quality original content than there was back "in the good ol' days. I don't know why. Some folks have posted some reasonable possibilities as to why this might be. I still don't know for sure. Neither does anyone else, it seems.

#3 People seem to be less inclined to disagree amicably. This is not new. Seems to me like it stems back to the early Obama days, when anyone who disagreed with the diktats of O was summarily deemed a racist by those who did agree with the diktats of O. No doubt others of differing persuasion may disagree as to the cause. I would honestly like to hear what others think about this/ But do please spare the "Anyone who disagrees is a Nazi racist hater" trope.

#4 I think it would be fine if the P&R forums were not at the top of "newest post" search . But again, I don't know how the bread is buttered. Or if it's buttered. I also don't know how much butter is required for this change.

#5 Some people may need to get over the shock from learning that not everyone thinks exactly like you and your buddies. The world is big. Dazzling brilliance and baffling stupidity may not always be distinguishable at first glance. Or second.

#6 "Do you even spearfish?" might be a reasonable question to ask of people who have more to post than questions.
mepps1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 02:33 PM   #72
SubSub

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuzzA View Post
I think part of the problem is vbulletin. It's my understanding they went to shit. This site has not been updated, for good reason I'm sure, and therefore is not mobile, tech or social friendly by modern standards. I rarely check it on mobile.

The amount of work to move this site to a better software like XenForo is probably preventing it from being great again.

Ever tried Tapatalk? Works pretty good on the forum.

Regarding the owners participation. Well yes... but surprised doesn’t cover it. Is ****ing pathetic that the forum owner goes hiding every time there is wide spread and imho accurate criticism of the way the forum is run. Like a cockroach hiding from the light. Plain pathetic.
SubSub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 10:33 PM   #73
mepps1

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubSub View Post
Ever tried Tapatalk? Works pretty good on the forum.

Regarding the owners participation. Well yes... but surprised doesn’t cover it. Is ****ing pathetic that the forum owner goes hiding every time there is wide spread and imho accurate criticism of the way the forum is run. Like a cockroach hiding from the light. Plain pathetic.
On behalf of the owner, who, for reasons unknown- pecuniary, charitable, benevolent, malevolent, fairness, bias, as proof of brilliance, as proof of daftness......... whatever........ Who kindly furnishes this padded room for all the inmates to play in.

Seems to me like it takes some kind of ingracious cockroach indeed to prance into The Man's domain and spew the kind of asinine vitriol which you just did.

Please feel completely free to fornicate yourself with a rusty, barnacle-encrusted piece of shipwreck in reasonable penance for your smarmy, arrogant, ungrateful, bitchy, whiny, ungrateful, and wretched personal defects.

You, sir, are an uncommonly prodigious ass.

Kind regards,

Mepps1
Old 04-16-2018, 05:43 AM   #74
SubSub

Wow, now you had to dig deep in the dictionary huh!? Well, your’re entitled your opinion, but sorry to say when you went through all that trouble to write it, that your opinion is one of those I care least about.
SubSub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 09:03 AM   #75
mepps1

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubSub View Post
Wow, now you had to dig deep in the dictionary huh!? Well, your’re entitled your opinion, but sorry to say when you went through all that trouble to write it, that your opinion is one of those I care least about.
Here's something we can mutually agree on.

Maybe we can also mutually agree that a "cockroach" is an ungrateful guest that creeps in, eats the owner's food, and shits all over the owner's stuff.