Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Florida Gulfcoast Spearfishing

Florida Gulfcoast Spearfishing Post here to discuss regional action or issues about spearing on Florida's Gulfcoast.

Old 09-10-2004, 12:00 PM   #1
Spear One
Retired Comm. Shooter

Criteria For "Buggin' Out" From Ivan?

I am not in an evacuation zone for coastal area of Pinellas County. In fact, I am in one of the highest areas of St. Petersburg so I am not concerned about flooding at all. However, I have a very large 40 year old oak tree, the majority of which ovehangs my home. I am not too concerned about wind damage to my home, it is well built/protected. My biggest concern is a big chunk of that oak tree may fall and crash through the roof.

I have decide that if hurricane Ivan stays at least 40 to 50 miles from the coast, I am gonna stay and ride it out. If it looks like we are gonna take a direct hit, I am gonna "bug out". I talked to a few folks in the Orlando area after Charlie and Francis went through, and they said a lot of big oaks bit the dust over there.

I figure we will get some mighty bad weather even if the storm stays 50 miles off shore, but a direct hit of 120 to 150 mph wind is more than I am willing to risk.

What do the rest of you plan on doing?

Manufactured By: Spearfishing Specialties (727)-548-7686

E-mail: oceanrhino@gmail.com Web: OceanRhino.com

Last edited by Spear One; 09-10-2004 at 12:04 PM.
Spear One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2004, 12:06 PM   #2
ArmorDave
Spearboard Sponsor

safe haven?

I'm not sure that Seffner will be that much better for you but I do have 3 extra rooms if you need a place to stay.
Old 09-10-2004, 12:06 PM   #3
The Collector
President until Ben

Just bought a ticket for wife and kid to fly out monday morning. Everything else is well insured.
Old 09-10-2004, 12:11 PM   #4
snooker
Wearer of the Man-kini!!

Send a message via AIM to snooker
If it stays off the coast I will probably head to Tampa and spear some nile perch and the second thing I'm going to do is buy plenty of beer and wine. To sit in the dark with nothing to do is torture. Hopefully will have the g/f here as well.
snooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2004, 12:52 PM   #5
Wiley Sea

Oak trees

Bartow is known as the city of oaks...at least it used to be. I lost three big ones in my yard during Frances, which was not as bad as Charlie as far as wind was concerned. The problem is that the ground is so wet now that the trees will just come out of the ground. That has happened alot around here. And, if you can get a tree crew around to help you out, you won't believe the prices they are charging to remove trees, grind stumps and haul the wood off.....On a different note, we are still without power in Crystal River since Frances went through. Heading up there early in the morning with a bunch of rope to bridal the Wiley Sea out in the canal, strip it down and let it ride........Hopefully Ivan will continue to weaken and Cuba's mountains will break it up even more. Once in the gulf, they are forecasting that wind shear will weaken the storm even more. Still a strong blow, but not a category four or five. I've got my fingers crossed that they are right.

Kevin...where is the Double Vision? Good luck, carl
Wiley Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2004, 12:54 PM   #6
Pilum
Team BuggerAll

If it stays offshore I will take a wait and see approach. Being that there is no line of defense between my house and the gulf, I stand the chance of one helluva flood. If it looks like it is going in north of hudson im getting the hell out. The one thing I would like to do is get back and defend my crib from the sorry assed looters that seem to come out of the woodwork. Lets just hope nobody has to deal with this storm. Be careful and good luck everyone.
Old 09-10-2004, 01:09 PM   #7
junior

I'm in a low lying area of St. Pete so flooding/storm surge is my overwhelming concern beyond the obvious problems associated with big winds. I think the house can handle a reasonable amount, but the water is what gets me to evacuate. Although, I have contemplated dragging the kayaks into the living room and just riding it out Can anyone say Darwin Award If it's a Cat II and above, direct hit to Tampa Bay, I'm out like a fat kid in dodgeball.
junior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2004, 01:40 PM   #8
Spear One
Retired Comm. Shooter

Double Vision is moored behind my partners house in Clearwater. It is docked in one of the protected canals about 1/2 mile east of the Gulf Of Mexico coastline. I guess the boat is about as safe as it can be for a boat that is in the water during a hurricane. We'll just double up the lines, make sure the batteries are fully charged and hope for the best. If the dock and the tie poles hold together, the DV should be ready to "kick some fish a$$" this winter.

Old 09-10-2004, 02:27 PM   #9
stickitfishy
Medicine Man

I'll be vacating my 3rd story apartment since my outside wall faces south. The attic vent faces south and when it blows hard from that direction, the rain comes in and drips out of my attic door. With lots of rain and wind, I'm thinking the ceiling might collapse. Told the office, maintenance came over and said, yeah, that's where the waters coming from!!! Parents live about a mile away, dad's an electrician and they are natives (so they are totally prepared) so that's where we will be staying. Of course we'll be wrapping all our valuables, that we don't take to my parents, in those heavy construction trash bags!! This apartment is less than 3 years old and I'm at University and 75, but if you've ever seen the people who put together apartments these days, I'll bet you a $100 that they are not to code and can't take the winds they are supposed to be able to!! Good luck everyone, I pray for a hurricane that decides to go to the middle of the gulf and sit then fizzle so I can catch some nice waves and not get blown away. Second choice would be one that comes up and gives us 40 mph offshores and blows the pooh water away then fizzles!!
Old 09-10-2004, 02:56 PM   #10
Fishkabobs

Sending the wife and kids out of state... I have 11 oaks between 200 and 400 years old. All are around the house. It looked real nice when I bought it, but not so good now. Any one of them could take out my house. Oh well, I'm over insured.
Fishkabobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2004, 05:34 PM   #11
f94gator

I'm pretty much hauling ass if we're looking at Cat 2 winds in Tampa or above.
f94gator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2004, 05:36 PM   #12
fishhunta

kevin, and everyone else- I got an extra room with a futon here in boca that anyone can use for a few days if it looks bad over there. Call me at 561-305-0224.
on the objects of benevolence,
the money of their constituents."
James Madison

www.variancharters.com
fishhunta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2004, 02:46 PM   #13
Spear One
Retired Comm. Shooter

Cross your fingers...it looks like Ivan may pass us to the west. If he stays 100 miles offshore until he passes us, we will still get some nasty weather and coastal flooding but nothing like a direct hit.

Old 09-11-2004, 03:14 PM   #14
f94gator

Fingers are crossed - been crossed for a few days now!!
f94gator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2004, 03:23 PM   #15
Marcus
Naval gazer extraordinair

I'll be waiting until the last minute to bug out. I've got my evacuation route mapped out. If I'm going to get hit by >130mph winds I'll be leaving in both vehicles, before winds get past 50mph, with important belongings and drive out of the way...wait till it passes and drive back. Moving at 12mph, it shouldn't take that long. Go visit some friends or something. I'm not taking off in any direction until I know where the damned thing is going though.
“If the natural tendencies of mankind are so bad that it is not safe to permit people to be free, how is it that the tendencies of these organizers are always good? Do not the legislators and their appointed agents also belong to the human race? Or do they believe that they themselves are made of a finer clay than the rest of mankind?”
― Frederic Bastiat, The Law
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote