Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All About Guns

All About Guns What's your weapon of choice, and why? Discuss the beloved speargun here!

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 09-23-2006, 12:46 PM   #1
Steve Bennett

Riffe Euro Accuracy problems

I just finished pool testing my new Riffe euro gun and I have some mixed emotions about it. I tested it side by side my Omer Master America and Aimrite railguns. I've also shot just about every other gun out there, but I've never gotten these kind of results.

The gun moves through the water great, better than the other two guns. It also had good power and perfect balance. It was actually balanced better than the Master America with the custom balance kit. The magnetic track is great, and the so-called "trigger silencers" really did seem to make it quieter.

I did have one problem, accuracy. After 20 or more pool shots, I keep getting the same results. I've never had to worry about accuracy on a railgun, usually you can put them on a nickle from 12 ft with ease. The Master America and Aimrite guns were pefect, but the Riffe euro consistanly shot low and to the left. On a 15 ft shot, it would miss about 2 inches left and 6 inches low, simply unacceptable.

I tried 2 different brand new 9/32" shafts, both with the same results. I also tried those same shafts in the master america and they shot straight. I tried the stock bands, some shorter bands and some longer bands to eliminate muzzle flip as the problem. All 3 times I used 2 5/8 inchers. I know the gun can support 2 3/4 inchers like JAW uses, so muzzle flip is not the problem. I tried it with and without a reel, so the ballast or light weight was not the problem.

Any ideas? IMO, this gun would be perfect if it was accurate. What's the deal?

Steve
Steve Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 12:50 PM   #2
teaknsteel
Creator of fine teak dust

Re: Riffe Euro Accuracy problems

What size is the Riffe?

"It has always been my private conviction that any man who puts his intelligence up against a fish and loses had it coming." - John Steinbeck
teaknsteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 01:11 PM   #3
Steve Bennett

110 cm
Old 09-23-2006, 01:22 PM   #4
Polystigma
No Bananas!

I kinda know what you are talking about. My Riffe 110cm was also shooting low, but the problem corrected itself. However, I am shooting the 17/64'' shaft with (2) 5/8'' bands. I guess it was because the bands were not broken in. Maybe you should put on two 19mm bands with the 9/32'' shaft. To compensate for the more heavy shaft.
Polystigma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 12:13 PM   #5
FreediveNewport
RobM

I have the same problem with my 90cm RA except it shoots high left consistantly. Strange how these things happen. I also tried several diffent combinations of bands / shafts so I am also interested in any ideas..
FreediveNewport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 02:19 PM   #6
ACEVEDO
Thanks but NO TANKS

i used my amigo toms riffe euro, i had the same problem ... i think most riffes off the shelf shoot low .... they have to much shaft overhang>>>>

but the euro's move threw the h20 like glass.....

try a shorter shaft????

good luck on the fix
ACEVEDO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 02:35 PM   #7
Pucho

I have a riffe 110 euro, with 2 5/8 and the 17/64 shaft hawaiian, my gun has a slight bend to the left (this is a new gun only 4-5 month) and it shoots nicely, yesterday i shoot 2 mackerels in the 16 -18 ft distance without problems, now my nephew whants one .....LOL
Pucho
Pucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 08:49 PM   #8
TriggerFish

Check to see if the stock is straight. Glad to hear the Omer MA is on the mark. ; )
Old 09-25-2006, 12:44 AM   #9
Prodigal Son

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bennett
It was actually balanced better than the Master America with the custom balance kit.
Out of curiosity, what is the balance issue with the Omer Master America?
Prodigal Son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 08:11 AM   #10
Grin

If it consistently shoots 6 inches low. Is that inaccurate? Or should you just aim different or 6 inches high consistently? I have a Riffe C4 that shoots about 1 foot low, for the way I aim. I just aim 1 foot high, and I am thrilled with it's accuracy. I just got a 55 Wong magnum and it shoots about 6 inches low, aiming the same way I line up my shots with the Riffe. I aim 6 inches high and never gave it a second thought. If you know where it shoots, why not compensate? That is why I test my guns in the pool, so I know which way to conpensate. If it shoots off different every time or is way out on each shot then you may have a bent shaft or something, and then you have a real problem. I was told by a guy with the same gun as mine he aimed low, when I'm aiming high. I didn't question it, I just figure he lines up different or something. I say conpensate for the part about accuracy being high or low. Off to one side or the other would irtritate me though, I'd try to figure that part out, but 2 inches isn't much.
Grin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 10:41 AM   #11
jeffcroci

steve, hows your seasniper gun shoot?

jeff
jeffcroci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 11:56 AM   #12
Aimrite

Aiming Problems

Aloha Everyone

Daryl and I have been making open muzzle spearguns for quite some time so maybe I can add a few points to help out.

More than 12 years ago when we were testing Tuna and Ono guns in a pool we noticed that not being used to shooting guns that large "we" had a tendency to sight straight down the shaft. Each and every shot was low! After spending several hours and loading these cannons till our arms fell off it dawned on us, why are we shooting differently? Then we tried shooting them just like our normal everyday reef guns and hit he center each time. What we came up with was this on "open muzzle guns" it is best to just look at the last three inches of shaft, superimpose that on your target and pull the trigger!

If you doubt what I am saying try this; try shooting your gun at a target and have your buddy over to the side to watch muzzle drop. First put the last three inches on target as discribed above then go ahead and switch aiming styles and sight straight down the shaft (from the sharkfins to the point) your buddy to the side will see your muzzle drop down and the back of the gun rise up.

One last thing on bands; We make alot of them!! But before we do for a customer Daryl and I ask a few questions/ like how old the person is/ how large that person/ experience level, ect ect. Point being is many "new divers" match the bands to the gun/shaft that they are using. A better way is to match the bands to the diver! Strength of your bands should be dictated by "your" experience/framesize/age. Many times guns shoot inaccurate because divers are not overpowering the gun but overpowering themselves therefore cannot control the shot. One of the best divers in the world told me once "it is more important to have less power and be more accurate than lots of power and no accuracy" !

I hope this information helps.
Old 09-25-2006, 12:44 PM   #13
Steve Bennett

There is no balance issue with the Master America, it comes with a weight and floater kit for the front of the muzzle and you can adjust it to your specifications. The only balance related issue the gun has is that it is a little top heavy with the steel muzzle and likes to turn upside down.

I see what you are saying Grin, but why should I have to compensate at all? I want the gun to shoot where I point it, anything is unacceptable. There are too many guns out there that shoot right on line, why not this one?

Jeff, the seasniper gun is sweet. I'm ging to send it to Chriss to have him add a little bit more ballast to it, but the thing is just awesome. Perfect accuracy, insane power, hardly any recoil, and it feels more like a railgun than a tuna gun in the water.

Rick, thanks for the tip. Daryl actually told me the same thing when I got my first hybrid a few years back and reiterated it when I bought my magnum hybrid a year or two ago. I tried to apply the technique to the Riffe euro, but it still shot low. Your Aimrite railgun is open muzzle and it shot perfectly, same thing with the Omer gun, same thing with all of my other open muzzle guns. I also agree with you on the band thing, that is another reason why I tried to use some lighter bands to pick up the accuracy, but still no help.

Thanks for the help everyone, but this one has me
Old 09-25-2006, 03:35 PM   #14
Seth
freedive spearo

Send a message via MSN to Seth

dumb question, but is the gun warped? thats the only reason i can think of for it shooting to the side.. maybe the mag-track has somethin to do with it?? this one is a puzzler.
Seth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 05:03 PM   #15
zenspearo

Note to self: If Steve Bennett sells his Riffe Euro on Ebay, do not bid.

Please generalize the LOCATION/TIME of your spearing reports.
zenspearo is offline   Reply With Quote