Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > General Topics (Non-regional) > General Spearfishing & Diving Discussion

General Spearfishing & Diving Discussion This is where you post to discuss general spearfishing topics that could apply to any region.

Old 06-04-2008, 11:35 AM   #1
Pirate Dave

5 week boat trip anything im forgetting to bring?

at the end of this month ill be doing a 5 week excusion through southern most bahamian islands. every island were going to is completely uninhabited. so if i run out of batteries for my torch i wont be able to replace them(kinda the idea of this post)

i figured the obvious
like double or triple the amount of stuff in my save a dive kit
extra knife
batterries for computer
extra torch
batteries for the torch
back up pole spear
two full reg setups
get both regs serviced before hand?
extra undies of course
but the boat has a compresser and tanks and wieghts so ill be ok on that stuff

anything at all you guys could think of?
Pirate Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 11:57 AM   #2
dmfinch
Will Work for Dives

Send a message via AIM to dmfinch
Re: 5 week boat trip anything im forgetting to bring?

A dive buddy....im not doing anything

sounds like a great trip have lots of fun and be safe
dmfinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 12:22 PM   #3
No Misses

I roll of athletic tape. It works great for wrapping up the raw spots where fins are rubbing. I dont have any issues on regular weekends. But, when you are diving 6 times per day for weeks on end, plan on some sore spots.

12hr Sudafed or some other decongestant. You do not want a stuffy nose to interfere with diving.

A small file to re-sharpen pole spear when needed

Fillet knife, sharpening stone, ziplock bags

A book. Sometimes you just need some alone time.

If you get your regs serviced prior to the trip, do it weeks in advance and dive the regs before departure. Too many times regs come back from service with new problems (wet breathing, free flow, etc.)

Neosporin and band aids. All those little cuts get infected. On my last trip I poked my finger with the gaff. It was a small cut. By the next morning my finger was swollen and infected. I should have taken care of it sooner.

That is all that I can think of right now. HAVE FUN.
Old 06-04-2008, 12:25 PM   #4
OceanEd

Be very careful to separate your freediving/spearfishing from you scuba diving. I don't know if you have a dinghy for diving or if you will be mostly diving from the main boat. Do not have scuba equipment in the dinghy and a pole spear. Do not have a spear gun onboard your boat.

You may think you are in the middle of nowhere, but the Bahama Defense forces have a way of showing up to check you out, and they are doing it more and more frequently. If they do show up they will also check your freezer and refridgerator to see what fish you have onboard. So make sure you have a fishing license and I personally would advise you not to go over your limits or poach lobster out of season. I live down in the area you are going to for 4 or 5 months every year on my boat.

Other items I would take:

Spare set of fins, spare mask, spare snorkel.
3 spare spear tips.
Spares to rebuild each spear tip(this depends on the type of spear tips you are taking).
Spare rubber for pole spear so you can make 2 extra bands (if you are going to be spearing a lot) and the knowledge/materials to tie your own bands.
Good pair of kevlar gloves for diving such as the Akona gloves.

I am assuming you have either a one piece thin skin or a thin wetsuit. It is very handy to be wearing when you are in areas with fire coral or if there are a lot of thimble jellyfish in the water or sea lice.

Spare sunglasses and hat for when you are in the dinghy between dives. Also, lots of good, waterproof, sunblock. you will quickly learn that this time of year the sun in your enemy down there, not your friend. Order some "Beaver 43" sunblock on the internet. It is by FAR the best and most waterproof sunblock you can use when you are running around and diving all day. A little goes a long way but I would take 2 or 3 tubes for a 5 week stay.

If possible, take a "towing board" so that someone in the dinghy can tow you over large areas. You will love it for many reasons.

I like to take a lot of hard candies with me. I prefer the "Worthers" hard carmels. The reason is that if you are out in the dinghy all day, diving, it is great to pop one into your mouth when you are back onboard. It helps if you are diving for multiple hours each day.

Depending on where you are going, you can get into some areas with very aggressive sharks, such as the Jumentos Cays. In certain areas it is a good idea to spear one fish, get back in the boat and MOVE before trying to spear another fish. If you are not comfortable in this type of situation take a shark shield. I do, and I am glad I have it with me.
OceanEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 01:47 PM   #5
Southern Cross

Don't forget your "OH SHIT there's a tropical storm coming" gear.

Watch out for "Lola".
Old 06-04-2008, 02:15 PM   #6
Shoot2Thrill

Just curious, is this a charter or private trip? If it is a charter I would be interested in knowing who runs trips like that....Sounds cool. Be safe and have a great time!
Shoot2Thrill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 02:40 PM   #7
Pirate Dave

thanks guys i didnt think about extra bands or trying my regs after getting them serviced.
i went to my local shop today and they would only service one of my regs because they didnt carry the other brand is this normal?

its a private trip and the main focus is to relax and hopefully find a shipwreck with more treasure then just fish......
i wasnt on the boat last year but they found a ship wreck and got to salvage all the cannons and stuff off it
they also said they only saw 1 boat in the 10 weeks they were there......

well be around sammana and inguana and south

where can i get a extra battery for my computer? how much should it cost?
Old 06-04-2008, 05:34 PM   #8
njspearo
J valve

Send a message via AIM to njspearo

you are one lucky dude!
good suggestions on here.
njspearo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 12:32 AM   #9
deckhandmike
Shallow Water Hunter

Food! Bring your favorite munchies and seasonings. Aloe and talc powder for sunburn and rashes.
Old 06-05-2008, 04:55 AM   #10
virgili

A 1 liter plastic bag connected to a rubber tube used to do sea water enema in case you would be lost in the sea/ shipwrecked.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CR 09 website2.jpg
Views:	293
Size:	26.0 KB
ID:	76531  
virgili is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 07:11 AM   #11
Wiley Sea

Take a couple of tubes of coritzone creme just in case you get into some sea lice. A tube saved me on a trip to Andros several years ago.

ws
Wiley Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 08:18 AM   #12
sharpshooter

Two extra batteries for your dive computer. I've heard peoples dive computers beeping thru the night cause of the salt residue. Rinse off your computer after the last dive. Is it the type you can replace? Radio Shack carries all types of batteries. You can also do a search on the internet. Your computer manual should tell you what type of battery. A small roll of duct tape.
sharpshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 09:53 AM   #13
chili

Along side all your dive stuff, I would encourage you to bring a few books and some alternate ways to amuse yourself. 5 weeks+one boat+several folks=a strong desire for personal space...

Sounds like a great trip. Enjoy yourself and take lots of pictures!
chili is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 12:46 PM   #14
Pirate Dave

you know what works well for sea lice is to NOT put hot water on them at all becasue that makes them itch and what you can do is put clear nail polish on it and youll sufficate the animal out. it works. ive tried it

virgilli im not sure i understand what your talking about?
Old 06-05-2008, 01:42 PM   #15
OceanEd

It's amazing how many ""undiscovered" shipwrecks there still are in the Bahamas. You are going to a great area. The south side of Great Inagua is good for large fish. If you get a chance while you are there, go to the salt flats and look at all the pink flamingos.
OceanEd is offline   Reply With Quote