Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > General Topics (Non-regional) > Spearfishing Regulations

Spearfishing Regulations This area is for the topic of existing or proposed Spearfishing Regulations.

Old 07-25-2005, 04:13 PM   #1
walkerkb

St. Thomas (Virgin Islands) Spearing

Does anyone know if it is legal to spear in St. Thomas in the Virgin Islands? I am new to spearing and this board for that matter but appreciate any feedback or advice!!! I just recently bought a 48 Special AB-Biller and am dying to use it!

Also, what does one have to do to take their spear gun on a plane? I am guessing just buy a case and check it in, or not?
walkerkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2005, 07:27 PM   #2
Look Out Below
Got Bug's!

Re: St. Thomas (Virgin Islands) Spearing

Kill Shot knows.

Look Out Below is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2005, 07:44 PM   #3
WreckDiver
Memeber What?

One thing its not a gun its fishing gear.
WreckDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2005, 04:07 AM   #4
kill shot
PELAGIC POKER!!!!

Yep it is fishing gear not a gun when talking to TSA. Also yes you can spearfish down here. What are your plans while you are here? Let me know and can set you up with the places that are best and also best to stay away from(fish poison that is). Eric
kill shot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005, 10:10 PM   #5
walkerkb

killshot,

will be down there aug 4-9 with a buddy at sugar bay. looking to do some diving, fishing, spearfishing, partying! any information is greatly appreciated. recommendations, locations, is there a baitshop around there, best charter, etc. anything you are willing to share, I am willing to listen.
Old 07-29-2005, 07:45 AM   #6
kill shot
PELAGIC POKER!!!!

Sugar Bay is right around the corner from my house. Bait shop is not far either. If you want fish charters then you will most definitley talk with Double Header sportfishing. I have yet to fish with these guys and not catch a shit load of fish!!! Always tunas,kings, wahoos, rainbow runners and whatever else. Great guys to. If you do use those guys I can tell you who to talk with so you catch alot of fish. Dive charters for spearing are very limited if not nill but can probably get you hooked up if really need be or we can just go out on my boat if you want. Could also do some diving out front of were I live.. Diving is good around 90% of the island. NO SPEARFISHING in the British Virgin Islands!!! I have never stayed at the Sugar Bay Windham which is I believe were you are staying but heard it is pretty nice. Looks nice anyways. Eric
Old 08-02-2005, 02:37 PM   #7
walkerkb

Killshot,

Sounds sweet! I am definitely interested in going on the Double Header. Please let me know who to talk to. Also, if you think it would be worth it, I would bring my "fishing gear" and try and hook up with you. So you get some fish spearing around there pretty easily? My email is kevin.b.walker@lmco.com in case you want to send your phone or other information. Thanks in advance, I really appreciate your time and replies!
Old 08-02-2005, 02:50 PM   #8
walkerkb

Eric,

Do you think it's worth it for me to bring my spear there realistically? Can I rent one there or something like that? I have a nice one, a 48-special AB-Biller, and want to use it but don't want to risk having it lost or taken away at airport or then not be able to use once there. This is my first trip going somewhere since I got it so...........I am a novice and learning as I go. Thanks again.
Old 09-14-2005, 07:08 PM   #9
feign

Kill shot,

Is there any shorediving access to decent reefs/depths for spearing there in the USVI? Thanks,

Lee
feign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2005, 08:30 AM   #10
kill shot
PELAGIC POKER!!!!

Plenty of spots. Eric
Old 09-15-2005, 04:24 PM   #11
feign

Sorry, should have been more specific. Any thoughts about St Thomas vs Croix vs John for shore diving? I know that Croix has the long wall on the north side close to land - not sure if this is a plus or not. Thanks.
Old 09-15-2005, 07:30 PM   #12
kill shot
PELAGIC POKER!!!!

St. John is mostly national park so it is very limited unless you well offshore. never dove over in st. croix yet so not sure on the conditions there. there is a national park there as well. st. thomas has alotof diving to offer as far as i am concerned. eric
Old 09-16-2005, 11:39 AM   #13
feign

Thanks for the info Eric.
Old 11-30-2016, 11:27 AM   #14
Boss1

Hey everyone,

Old thread I know.....

Are there any divers down there that may know a contact? I'm looking to get out and do some blue water while I'm out there first week in January. 12/30 -1/8

I have all my own gear that I'll be bringing to hopefully land some monsters

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Boss1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 02:17 PM   #15
ryankpaul
Eater Of Fish

I would love to know where you went/who you went with. I was going to bring my polespear. Going with the missus for a week, so probably only get one shot at a boat and/or a guide. Recommendations? I'm wary of non-spear specific boards, since they basically blast the anti-spear rhetoric...

Thanks!!
ryankpaul is offline   Reply With Quote