Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Mid-Atlantic States

Mid-Atlantic States A forum for the states of New York and New Jersey to better define the highly populated eastern US coast

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 84 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 09-16-2013, 07:24 AM   #631
ImpalaSSpeed96
The Fluke Bridesmaid

Re: Daily Vis report thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intaugnito View Post
Impala, you may want to proof read your last post and edit out any info that will make our sport seem irresponsible.
Seriously man? I worry about posting irresponsible things on AT. I'm not worried about lobbyist against spearfishing. I've probably mortally wounded more fish rod and reel fishing, than I ever will spearfishing.
Old 09-16-2013, 08:20 AM   #632
Intaugnito
Anti-Kabote

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImpalaSSpeed96 View Post
Seriously man? I worry about posting irresponsible things on AT. I'm not worried about lobbyist against spearfishing. I've probably mortally wounded more fish rod and reel fishing, than I ever will spearfishing.
Yes, Im dead serious. The NY guys have been fighting an uphill battle with the R&R jerkoffs for years. The DEC has finally admitted that taking of fish by spear is sustainable and can be selective in their state. Massachusetts is also on their way to allowing those guys to take bass, something they have not been able to do. Your post is contrary to that, and could be cited as such in an effort to discredit our means of taking fish. I could really give two shits, but your only making yourself look bad by publically admitting the taking of undersized fish, even if its only by a smidge.
Intaugnito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 08:48 AM   #633
Burnz
People for Kaboat

I have to agree with Intaug on this one. There was a very similar situation on a hunting website this weekend where someone posted up a story and video of a poorly shot doe. As hunters (above and below the water) there are things that happen out there that WE are all aware of but there is no reason to post up on a public forum where our own words can eventually be used against us.
Burnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 10:02 AM   #634
ImpalaSSpeed96
The Fluke Bridesmaid

Ill edit it, just so you can sleep better tonight. I know I do, not worrying about things I can't change. It's a wonder the world hasn't burned down yet, since the invention of the internet.
Old 09-16-2013, 02:12 PM   #635
Jhento

dove yesterday was spotty 5-6 MOCO - bunch small striper, didnt see any fluke. tog

surfed SSP saturday and it was great like solid 10+
Jhento is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 02:22 PM   #636
spear&loathing

Had 20' vis in one spot in the rocks yesterday. Sand was maybe 5' vis.

Seems like long branch vis has been worse than other spots the last few weeks. Maybe because of sand pumping?
spear&loathing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 03:20 PM   #637
Freedvrjim
straight shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intaugnito View Post
Yes, Im dead serious. The NY guys have been fighting an uphill battle with the R&R jerkoffs for years. The DEC has finally admitted that taking of fish by spear is sustainable and can be selective in their state. Massachusetts is also on their way to allowing those guys to take bass, something they have not been able to do. Your post is contrary to that, and could be cited as such in an effort to discredit our means of taking fish. I could really give two shits, but your only making yourself look bad by publically admitting the taking of undersized fish, even if its only by a smidge.
Thanks Intaugnito! Every little bit helps and Mr Impala, it's not the Internet
directly that is making speros look bad, thanks for editing..
Old 09-16-2013, 11:32 PM   #638
TriggerNJ
The Trigger Whisperer

Quote:
Ill edit it, just so you can sleep better tonight. I know I do, not worrying about things I can't change. It's a wonder the world hasn't burned down yet, since the invention of the internet.
No one here is putting blame solely on the internet as Wndsrfrjim said. I’ll ask that instead of shrugging it off as tinfoil hat wearing paranoia if you can stop and think about it a bit. There has been an explosion of freedive spearfishing in NJ over the last 10yrs or so and the growth doesn't seem to be slowing. Complaints by fisherman are skyrocketing and spearo’s are becoming more visible through newspaper articles, local fishing mags, internet forums, interactions with others and so on. It’s getting big enough to spark discussion among non divers as to what we are doing and how they feel about it. We have got a lot of positive and accurate portrayals of what we do so far but like it or not spearfishing isn’t thought of highly by everyone who shares the fish resource. We have not had to duke it out here in NJ but other states in the Northeast have or are doing so as we speak. One of the arguments against us has been that there is no way for us to accurately judge fish sizes. It’s false but when I read a fishing forum discussing spearfishing or talk to fishermen who don’t dive it’s one of the first things they like to question. In fact I’ve had a few discussions about this with fisherman on the jetty you dive often. New spero’s tend not to realize that spearfishing has never been in the limelight in our state like it is today or that their behavior and attitude can determine the direction of an inevitable discussion over where and what we can spear. Spearfishing is there for divers to begin and spots are there to dive because NJ Diving Council members have been willing to go to bat for our rights but also partly because spearing has never been big enough to warrant attention. The latter is changing right before my eyes and at a scary pace. New divers need to be aware of their impact. I don’t label nudging the growth in the right direction wherever and whenever possible as worrying or being overly cautious. I call it being aware of the pitfalls increased popularity can bring and acting responsibly to secure a future where we all get to continue doing what we love.
Old 09-16-2013, 11:41 PM   #639
TriggerNJ
The Trigger Whisperer

Quote:
http://view.break.com/2514193 bit by baby shark, dunce
This is great! I watched it three times.hahahahahah
Old 09-17-2013, 10:03 AM   #640
NJSpearo84

Can we please take this conversation to the chat thread so we dont clutter up the viz report thread?

http://www.spearboard.com/showthread...159785&page=28
NJSpearo84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 10:09 AM   #641
LIfishslayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriggerNJ View Post
No one here is putting blame solely on the internet as Wndsrfrjim said. Iíll ask that instead of shrugging it off as tinfoil hat wearing paranoia if you can stop and think about it a bit. There has been an explosion of freedive spearfishing in NJ over the last 10yrs or so and the growth doesn't seem to be slowing. Complaints by fisherman are skyrocketing and spearoís are becoming more visible through newspaper articles, local fishing mags, internet forums, interactions with others and so on. Itís getting big enough to spark discussion among non divers as to what we are doing and how they feel about it. We have got a lot of positive and accurate portrayals of what we do so far but like it or not spearfishing isnít thought of highly by everyone who shares the fish resource. We have not had to duke it out here in NJ but other states in the Northeast have or are doing so as we speak. One of the arguments against us has been that there is no way for us to accurately judge fish sizes. Itís false but when I read a fishing forum discussing spearfishing or talk to fishermen who donít dive itís one of the first things they like to question. In fact Iíve had a few discussions about this with fisherman on the jetty you dive often. New speroís tend not to realize that spearfishing has never been in the limelight in our state like it is today or that their behavior and attitude can determine the direction of an inevitable discussion over where and what we can spear. Spearfishing is there for divers to begin and spots are there to dive because NJ Diving Council members have been willing to go to bat for our rights but also partly because spearing has never been big enough to warrant attention. The latter is changing right before my eyes and at a scary pace. New divers need to be aware of their impact. I donít label nudging the growth in the right direction wherever and whenever possible as worrying or being overly cautious. I call it being aware of the pitfalls increased popularity can bring and acting responsibly to secure a future where we all get to continue doing what we love.
Well said triggernj. The r+r nazis do look at these websites. I have seen links to sb on surfbfishing websites with titles like "How many fish do they need?" I know guys in CT who no longer post fish pics because of it. The biggest argument against spearing bass in NY has been surfcasters claiming spearos cannot accurately judge fish size underwater. We all know thats BS but impalass just gave them some more ammo. By the way the fight in NY isnt over. There is a bill waiting to be voted on. For two yrs now So NY is still in limbo.
LIfishslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 12:14 AM   #642
TriggerNJ
The Trigger Whisperer

Quote:
Can we please take this conversation to the chat thread so we dont clutter up the viz report thread?

http://www.spearboard.com/showthread...159785&page=28
A few posts isn't cluttered but let’s aim it back at vis. How about we switch it up and each give a prediction before everyone chimes in on what the actual conditions are each day. That way its fun and we get vis reports. I’ll go first.

Here’s the week for freedivers in the Northern NJ portion..……
There’s a little swell in the water and it blew pretty good today so the ocean sucks for diving despite how “clear” it looked during the afternoon surf session. The swell may bump up a bit but either way it will linger through the week instead of dying. This will cause bad vis along the jetties with your best chance for vis on Sunday but I doubt it will be more than about 3ft or so. If there is surfline vis this weekend it will only be in really bad micro areas like leeside jetty shallows, tiny pockets against rocks etc. Vis inshore deeper will be horrible due to a nasty bottom layer so leave the kayak or boat docked unless you’re heading to the blue. The best bet will be inlets but the closer to the ocean you are the worse it will get while rivers and bays remain divable to pretty decent but never get really good. The northern most inlet/bay will have the best vis throughout the week. The inlet connected to said spot may get substantially better at the lower end of the tide. Play the tide game to get the very best of this vis as well as two dives in one day. Many innocent fluke will be murdered along with the odd just keeper bass and 17’’ to 20’’ Tog.

The idiots below will be surfing because they are sick of hunting and eating fluke.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Flukin.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	144.1 KB
ID:	195793   Click image for larger version

Name:	FlukeAgain.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	106.5 KB
ID:	195794  

Last edited by TriggerNJ; 09-18-2013 at 12:26 AM.
TriggerNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 11:42 AM   #643
waveman1981

Yes total idiots!!! Nice job guys, see you in the water one way or another
waveman1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 12:02 PM   #644
Jhento

haha good report!
Jhento is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 04:00 PM   #645