Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All About Guns

All About Guns What's your weapon of choice, and why? Discuss the beloved speargun here!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-03-2017, 03:36 AM   #1
antispun
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Palm Beach
Posts: 16
Pathos 100 options

Shot a friend's 140 pathos w/ a 7.5 shaft with 3 small id 14mm bands. Mine is the open carbon pro but is only the 100, with the stock shaft & 2 small ID bands. I can see the shaft slow & start to drop before it hits the end of two wraps.

Anybody try a 7.5 shaft w/ 3 14 bands on a 100cm gun? Was considering going with a 135 (130 is stock pathos).

Any feedback appreciated!
antispun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 04:32 AM   #2
Azure Recluse
Another Aussie Spearo
 
Azure Recluse's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 78
Re: Pathos 100 options

I have a pathos 90 saragos, 120 open pro and a 115 sniper ET. You don't need more than 2 bands on any of these guns. I recently ran out of 14mm small ID so I am back to regular twin 16mm bands and very happy. Look up majdq8 on youtube for pathos setups... great info
__________________
"God is great, beer is good and people are crazy." Billy Currington
Azure Recluse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 04:40 AM   #3
doyenofcastle
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 440
Re: Pathos 100 options

Y give more information to the guys here in order to help u ,whats Rubber /spear brand ? Rubber elongation ratio? Spear length

Sent from my SM-A320F using Tapatalk
doyenofcastle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 10:45 AM   #4
RBainer
Registered User
 
RBainer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: lake worth
Posts: 293
Re: Pathos 100 options

Quote:
Originally Posted by antispun View Post
Shot a friend's 140 pathos w/ a 7.5 shaft with 3 small id 14mm bands. Mine is the open carbon pro but is only the 100, with the stock shaft & 2 small ID bands. I can see the shaft slow & start to drop before it hits the end of two wraps.

Anybody try a 7.5 shaft w/ 3 14 bands on a 100cm gun? Was considering going with a 135 (130 is stock pathos).

Any feedback appreciated!
tie the bands to 370 to 380% and you should see a big difference
__________________

FII. Level 2 Cert
50M Diver
RBainer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 01:29 PM   #5
antispun
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Palm Beach
Posts: 16
Re: Pathos 100 options

Currently my 14mm bands are tied to 350% & the stock parhos shaft is 7mm x 130. If I push band stretch to say 380% would I get better range with upgrading to a 7.5mm shaft or is 7 plenty? I feel like the pathos shaft is lighter than others.
antispun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 08:11 PM   #6
RBainer
Registered User
 
RBainer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: lake worth
Posts: 293
Re: Pathos 100 options

Quote:
Originally Posted by antispun View Post
Currently my 14mm bands are tied to 350% & the stock parhos shaft is 7mm x 130. If I push band stretch to say 380% would I get better range with upgrading to a 7.5mm shaft or is 7 plenty? I feel like the pathos shaft is lighter than others.


I'd go 7.2mm


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________

FII. Level 2 Cert
50M Diver
RBainer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 12:15 AM   #7
antispun
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Palm Beach
Posts: 16
Re: Pathos 100 options

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBainer View Post
I'd go 7.2mm


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I found another thread with recommendation for trygons 7.2. Aside from pathos, that's the only other company I found that makes that size. Any idea on where I can order within the states or another brand to check?
antispun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 12:25 AM   #8
doyenofcastle
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 440
Re: Pathos 100 options

Try south african 7 mm spear (rabitech ,spearmaster ,mako or rob ) its more stiff than SS pathos
I d tie 14.5 to 340 or 14 to 365 on these short spear

Sent from my SM-A320F using Tapatalk
doyenofcastle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 01:55 AM   #9
spearq8
Registered User
 
spearq8's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 3,184
Re: Pathos 100 options

The Absolute best setup for a Pathos 100 is a good quality 135cm shaft like a Hunt or Sigalsub or Sporasub America One (or many others) with ability to connect the line on a front rest tab or a doghouse ... and of course a good quality flopper and a cone. For bands ... the best for a 7mm or smaller diameter shaft is 2 x 14mm small ID bands @ 360% ... if using a 7.5mm shaft best is 2 x 14.5mm from 360% to 380%. Personally for a 100 sized gun I would choose something around 6.75mm to 7mm @ 135cm or 140cm (difficult to find 135cm shafts).

A really big improvement in accuracy and power can be achieved by simply modifying your handle. Of course you also need to modify the trigger as even 2 x 14mm small ID bands will quickly scratch the sears and make accurate shooting impossible. Otherwise just go for the D'Angelo 1 handle which has the plastic trigger (will not scratch). The D'Angelo 1 handle also has closer "palm to trigger" distance making a handle mod much easier. Once setup properly the gun becomes an incredibly powerful and capable tool.

Check out my youtube channel, especially the setup of the 82cm gun. Even @ 82cm the performance was incredible for such a small sized gun.
spearq8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 09:48 PM   #10
antispun
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Palm Beach
Posts: 16
Re: Pathos 100 options

Quote:
Originally Posted by spearq8 View Post
The Absolute best setup for a Pathos 100 is a good quality 135cm shaft like a Hunt or Sigalsub or Sporasub America One (or many others) with ability to connect the line on a front rest tab or a doghouse ... and of course a good quality flopper and a cone. For bands ... the best for a 7mm or smaller diameter shaft is 2 x 14mm small ID bands @ 360% ... if using a 7.5mm shaft best is 2 x 14.5mm from 360% to 380%. Personally for a 100 sized gun I would choose something around 6.75mm to 7mm @ 135cm or 140cm (difficult to find 135cm shafts).

A really big improvement in accuracy and power can be achieved by simply modifying your handle. Of course you also need to modify the trigger as even 2 x 14mm small ID bands will quickly scratch the sears and make accurate shooting impossible. Otherwise just go for the D'Angelo 1 handle which has the plastic trigger (will not scratch). The D'Angelo 1 handle also has closer "palm to trigger" distance making a handle mod much easier. Once setup properly the gun becomes an incredibly powerful and capable tool.

Check out my youtube channel, especially the setup of the 82cm gun. Even @ 82cm the performance was incredible for such a small sized gun.
I checked out your videos. Awesome material thank you for taking the time to share! I just retied my bands a bit tighter to 360% with shorter wishbone so I'll start there & shorten wishbone more as I experiment. I think I'll pick up a 7mm @ 140cm as my next shaft unless shipping for a hunt shaft isn't too much, then I'll try their 7x135.

I like the idea of the high carbon shafts, but if sears are in risk then harder metal would be more prone to do damage no? Maybe that's part of the reason why pathos shafts are so soft. Plus in Florida it might rust pretty quick. I specifically chose the D2 over D1 handle for the all stainless mech as I'm not fond of the idea of plastic under load, so worst case if I start having bad shots I'll check out the new sears. Also good tip on the line placement outside the mech, didn't think much about looking for that.

If I do try a 7.2 or 7.5, would it be effective to use 3x360% 14mm bands instead of 2? I know 3+ band setups are common on wood guns, and if recoil is the only drawback then a 130 should would be able to handle the power w/o whipping. For my shore dives I'm fine with a 7mm, but I've just started getting into some blue water & trying to bridge the gap with my 100 to keep it to one gun. In that clip you managed to get good penetration at even 5M with an 82, I imagine I should be able to land 15-18ft shots w/ the 100.

Last edited by antispun; 07-06-2017 at 12:38 AM.
antispun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 01:53 AM   #11
spearq8
Registered User
 
spearq8's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 3,184
Re: Pathos 100 options

Quote:
Originally Posted by antispun View Post
I checked out your videos. Awesome material thank you for taking the time to share! I just retied my bands a bit tighter to 360% with shorter wishbone so I'll start there & shorten wishbone more as I experiment. I think I'll pick up a 7mm @ 140cm as my next shaft unless shipping for a hunt shaft isn't too much, then I'll try their 7x135.

I like the idea of the high carbon shafts, but if sears are in risk then harder metal would be more prone to do damage no? Maybe that's part of the reason why pathos shafts are so soft. Plus in Florida it might rust pretty quick. I specifically chose the D2 over D1 handle for the all stainless mech as I'm not fond of the idea of plastic under load, so worst case if I start having bad shots I'll check out the new sears. Also good tip on the line placement outside the mech, didn't think much about looking for that.

If I do try a 7.2 or 7.5, would it be effective to use 3x360% 14mm bands instead of 2? I know 3+ band setups are common on wood guns, and if recoil is the only drawback then a 130 should would be able to handle the power w/o whipping. For my shore dives I'm fine with a 7mm, but I've just started getting into some blue water & trying to bridge the gap with my 100 to keep it to one gun. In that clip you managed to get good penetration at even 5M with an 82, I imagine I should be able to land 15-18ft shots w/ the 100.
If going to 7.5mm shafts then maybe 14.5mm small ID bands at higher stretch would give better performance. As for the trigger, the Pathos default trigger is made of very soft 316 SS which is excellent for corrosion resistance but is way too soft to be used as sears. It is also cut out of very thin 5mm plates ... not good. The Ermessub sear kit will increase the width of the sear by about 20% (thus more area to distribute load) and is cut from harder 304 SS. This gives you a much stronger sear. Also the positioning of the sear is designed with slightly different geometry that makes the surfaces touching each other a little shorter ... thus less chance for scratching. It will never be 100% scratch proof, but with the kit if the sear scratches it will be for a much shorter drag distance ... thus less problems. The only way to 100% eliminate scratching of the sears is to use special hardening on the sears, which is very expensive (but worth every penny IMHO). Unfortunately those hardened sears are not made by anyone ... thus the plastic trigger doesn't seem like such a bad idea to start off with. The D'Angelo 1 handle is also much cheaper ... which can be a bonus.
spearq8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:44 PM.


The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Social Media Forum Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©2002 - 2014 Spearboard.com