Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > General Topics (Non-regional) > General Spearfishing & Diving Discussion

General Spearfishing & Diving Discussion This is where you post to discuss general spearfishing topics that could apply to any region.

Old 04-10-2019, 10:41 AM   #1
sicric
Rick Cardet

Is there a way to retreat a stainless shaft?

I cleaned off the rust on an old JBL shaft with a wire wheel on a bench grinder. Since then, I've been reading that you shouldn't abrade the SS surface or clean with harsh chemicals. Needless to say after the 1st time taking it in the water it was rusted within hours.

I was thinking of putting a sprayed cold-galvanized coating over it after "cleaning" again, but am worried about the coating itself being in contact with future meals. Any ideas on how to save money and not buy a new shaft?

sicric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 10:57 AM   #2
Marco

Re: Is there a way to retreat a stainless shaft?

I won't bother. But if you NEED the shaft to look nice, just coat it with some cooking oil after each dive. It should do the trick.

A bad day fishing is ALWAYS better than a good day at work
Marco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 12:47 PM   #3
sicric
Rick Cardet

Thanks
sicric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 01:03 PM   #4
kmoose
Team Headhunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sicric View Post
I cleaned off the rust on an old JBL shaft with a wire wheel on a bench grinder. Since then, I've been reading that you shouldn't abrade the SS surface or clean with harsh chemicals. Needless to say after the 1st time taking it in the water it was rusted within hours.

I was thinking of putting a sprayed cold-galvanized coating over it after "cleaning" again, but am worried about the coating itself being in contact with future meals. Any ideas on how to save money and not buy a new shaft?

What is rusting is the imbedded steel from the wire wheel. Light oil and a green scotch bright pad will keep it looking new.
Old 04-11-2019, 02:48 PM   #5
Marcus
Naval gazer extraordinair

Cold galvanizing spray is useless in submerged salt water. Not worth a damn on boat trailers either. Crap product.
“If the natural tendencies of mankind are so bad that it is not safe to permit people to be free, how is it that the tendencies of these organizers are always good? Do not the legislators and their appointed agents also belong to the human race? Or do they believe that they themselves are made of a finer clay than the rest of mankind?”
― Frederic Bastiat, The Law
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 05:40 PM   #6
popgun pete

After washing my dive gear I lean all the spear shafts against a brick wall with the tips pointing up, give them a hose off even if they had been in the gear tub (end for end swap over) and then give them a shot of WD 40 around the top ends. The excess WD40 runs down the shaft driving all water off, the spears dry in the sun and then are put in the shaft store for next time.

Any corrosion is rubbed off using wet and dry paper with light oil as the lubricant and then wiped clean with a cloth rag.
popgun pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 02:55 PM   #7
JohnAndrew
@spearingdestin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco View Post
I won't bother. But if you NEED the shaft to look nice, just coat it with some cooking oil after each dive. It should do the trick.
x2 or olive oil (same with your dive knives)
Old 08-04-2019, 05:16 PM   #8
PigStikr
The Stalker

Oddly enough, zinc coating will destroy a stainless shaft thru corrosion. Zinc 'sacrificial' anodes protect regular steel by developing a voltage such that the zinc corrodes instead of the steel. Stainless steel relies on a hard layer of chrome oxide on the surface to protect it. Zinc anodes will eat that layer and destroy the corrosion resistance.
Old 08-04-2019, 06:06 PM   #9
SEATUX

I use a 90 degree die grinder w/scotch pad to get them bright, then hit them on the buffing wheel till they look like chrome. The object is multiple. It is less drag in the water, and on the slider (if you are line shafting), and easier to see if free shafting and you miss, and the smooth surface doesnt lend itself to surface rust, so they stay clean longer, and it is easy to touch them up on the buffer, once you have gotten them clean initially.
SEATUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 07:26 AM   #10
sealark

Waste of time, get a new shaft and lubricate it with fish flesh.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
sealark is offline   Reply With Quote