Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All About Guns

All About Guns What's your weapon of choice, and why? Discuss the beloved speargun here!

Old 06-01-2018, 11:54 AM   #1
Gerifalte

Picasso magnum tuna

I saw this gun in Europe and it looks like a good candidate for a bluewater gun. http://www.picasso.pt/Products/tabid...S/Default.aspx

The magnum reverse trigger mech is solid and I like that it has a thicker 32mm barrel, 8mm shaft, slip tip, and three 14mm bands.

What's the expert's opinion about the 160mm (or 150mm) as a bluewater gun for big game (>100lb tuna, Marlin)? I don't like to travel with wooden guns so I am looking for a pipe option.

Thanks in advance for sharing your expertise!
Gerifalte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 04:54 PM   #2
Gerifalte

Re: Picasso magnum tuna

Post isn't getting any love, so here are some pictures to make it more entertaining

Old 06-01-2018, 05:40 PM   #3
z1taz
Blue Water Killer

Send a message via Skype™ to z1taz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerifalte View Post
I saw this gun in Europe and it looks like a good candidate for a bluewater gun. http://www.picasso.pt/Products/tabid...S/Default.aspx

The magnum reverse trigger mech is solid and I like that it has a thicker 32mm barrel, 8mm shaft, slip tip, and three 14mm bands.

What's the expert's opinion about the 160mm (or 150mm) as a bluewater gun for big game (>100lb tuna, Marlin)? I don't like to travel with wooden guns so I am looking for a pipe option.

Thanks in advance for sharing your expertise!
the tube by it self is good and i know it perfectly as is same tube as mine (originals are made from EDGE spearguns in Australia by Tony Heugh ) then the way it is fitted with the Picasso BW evo handle makes it heavy especially w an 8 mm shaft on , but those tubes are excellent .. ask Barry Paxman ..

i would not use the Picasso slip tip as it is delivered from Picasso ...cable being too weak

good luck
z1taz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 05:56 PM   #4
Gerifalte

Thanks a bunch z1taz, sounds promising!

Good insight about the slip tip. It looks like some sort of soft line from the pictures (which are not great, BTW). Do you think I could replace it with Spectra or cable, or is it permanently fixed to the tip?

Re your comment
Quote:
Originally Posted by z1taz View Post
the way it is fitted with the Picasso BW evo handle makes it heavy especially w an 8 mm shaft on
, did you mean the setup is too heavy as in a bad way, or heavy duty?

Thanks again for your insights, much appreciated.
Old 06-01-2018, 06:13 PM   #5
z1taz
Blue Water Killer

Send a message via Skype™ to z1taz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerifalte View Post
Thanks a bunch z1taz, sounds promising!

Good insight about the slip tip. It looks like some sort of soft line from the pictures (which are not great, BTW). Do you think I could replace it with Spectra or cable, or is it permanently fixed to the tip?

Re your comment , did you mean the setup is too heavy as in a bad way, or heavy duty?

Thanks again for your insights, much appreciated.
the slip tip i did tried from Picasso was w a weak cable on it and i did replace it , but anyhow i would prefer a slip tip from Riffe in case i would go spearing for any fish over 60 Lbs .

the heavy was for the weight ...some like heavy , some like light .

i , myself , prefer light but is often more difficult to place a precise shot on a fish with a light gun due to recoil .
z1taz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 06:18 PM   #6
Gerifalte

Quote:
Originally Posted by z1taz View Post
the slip tip i did tried from Picasso was w a weak cable on it and i did replace it , but anyhow i would prefer a slip tip from Riffe in case i would go spearing for any fish over 60 Lbs .

the heavy was for the weight ...some like heavy , some like light .

i , myself , prefer light but is often more difficult to place a precise shot on a fish with a light gun due to recoil .
Thanks for the clarifications z1taz.
Agreed re slip-tip, I got a Mori tip in my 120mm carbon rig and works wonderfully (haven't shot anything bigger than 50lb with it yet, though).

Re weight, I like the idea of a heavy rig when shooting an 8mm shaft, should still be lighter than the big wooden guns out there