Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Florida East Coast Spearfishing

Florida East Coast Spearfishing Let's talk here about spearing on Florida's Atlantic coast. Reports and other issues about this region belong here.

Old 12-14-2017, 11:49 PM   #1
SEA_ARCHER
The Ocean is Calling

Sea_Arching for Adventure

I had some time off and I took some time to go through some of my spearfishing videos and I learned a lot from it. I wanted to post a few videos so landlocked friends and family would have a chance to watch the video and read the story.
I did not grow up in Florida and have only been spearfishing for the last couple of years so there is a LOT to learn still. I love every minute I get out on the water and love to watch and read other spearo's experiences as well.

This first video is a bit Blaire Witch Project. It was before I realized how important it is to be cognizant of frantic head movement when your GoPro is attached to your mask. There is a nice fish at the end though.

Last edited by SEA_ARCHER; 12-15-2017 at 12:33 AM.
SEA_ARCHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 12:14 AM   #2
SEA_ARCHER
The Ocean is Calling

Re: Sea_arching for adventure

This next video was earlier this year in May. I did not get out on opening day for grouper because the weather did not cooperate. I finally got the chance to get out a week later and the water was beautiful.

As soon as I hit the water I was greeted by a couple of the neighborhood bullies who were looking for an easy meal. One of them had a decent cobia in tow but I was diving solo and not liking my chances of 1 vs 2 competing for that cobia after the shot. The bulls continued to circle and as I looked towards the bottom I spot 3 blacks and one of them is massive. Talk about distractions, I am trying to keep my eye on the bulls while I descend and move into position to see if it is even safe to shoot one if the opportunity arises.

As I near the bottom the biggest of the blacks gets out of dodge but the medium one moves towards the edge of the reef. Keeping an eye on the sharks I try to stay low and almost army crawl through the sand to the edge of the reef. The nice thing about having your camera on your gun is that you end up with nice smooth footage and avoid the blair witch project effects but you also end up with unwanted footage bumping through rocks or sand. Having my camera on the gun here made me miss some of the story. Maybe two cameras is the answer

As I near the edge of the reef and peek over, I catch him trying to sneak away and put a quick shaft in him. However in my hyper-focused descent, I neglected to remember that I was still freeshafting and had not slid my slide ring over my shaft to convert to line shafting. The freeshafting made for a fun rodeo and some cool footage (as he comes up out of the dust you can clearly see the shaft in him) but in the end, I lucked out and ended up with some tasty dinners.

Last edited by SEA_ARCHER; 12-15-2017 at 12:24 AM.
Old 12-15-2017, 09:52 PM   #3
jfjf

Cool videos.. takes a lot of work to get some steady footage..Nice shot on the gag!
jfjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 10:07 PM   #4
SEA_ARCHER
The Ocean is Calling

Thx Jim, He must have thought he was hidden and held real still for me. Going through these videos really helps me see how the "head on a swivel" mentality of a hunter does not jive well with watchable video. I swear some of you guys creating smooth Mask video must be wearing neck braces to remind yourselves to pan smoothly.

I try to remember to keep it smooth, but then the ADD kicks in...

In all seriousness though I would love to hear tips from others on how to keep the mask video smooth.
Old 12-24-2017, 09:56 AM   #5
GatorNative

Really kicked up some marl on that second one! Ha ha
Good stuff. Always enjoy your posts.
GatorNative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 06:17 PM   #6
Indiana Jones

Nice video
Indiana Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 09:03 AM   #7
SEA_ARCHER
The Ocean is Calling

So in anticipation of this years Spearboard Big Bang Open I put together some of my footage from last years tournament. It was a fun two days with clear water a couple nice fish and some comedy. I don't shoot enough fish to have one of those videos with kill shots every 5 seconds, so If you are looking for one of those videos, you might want to pass on this one.

As I was strapping my Riffe kill knife to my leg I noticed the plastic retention mechanism fall apart. I threw the knife back in my dive bag and decided I would have to go with my little backup on my BCD. I wasn't prepared for the job at hand to say the least. I felt like I was trying to slay a dinosaur with a butter knife.

I am still figuring out the 2 camera technique. I feel it works well with certain situations and helps tell the story like on the black grouper shot, but it fills my laptop up with footage that I already don't have enough time to edit. My gun cam broke off my gun while wrestling the black out of that ledge. Luckily I noticed right away and peeked down into the hole it had fallen. The down side is that I didn't have the gun cam for the cubera and that footage could have been cool.

The yellowjack spot is a fun place to just go and watch all the life. There is a lot of life there and at times it is tough to keep track of it all. Many a sneaky grouper has used the bait cloud as a smokescreen to escape from me there.