Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > General Topics (Non-regional) > General Spearfishing & Diving Discussion

General Spearfishing & Diving Discussion This is where you post to discuss general spearfishing topics that could apply to any region.

Old 11-20-2018, 09:14 AM   #1
Gary H
gangsta' speargun pioneer

Storing full foot pocket fins

I saw a video some time back showing a technique of folding the heel back over the back of the foot pocket which leaves the foot pocket wide open to put your foot in. It is then an easy grab of the heel tab and it pops right up onto the back of your foot. I have been using this technique for several years now and like it. I think I saw it on the Mako website, but can't seem to find it there now.

Anyway, my question regards storing fins with the heel tab flipped under the foot pocket. Does it potentially cause long term damage? Anybody tried this with good, bad or indifferent results?

Fishing is like sex, you don't have to be good at it to enjoy it.
Gary H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 09:27 AM   #2
Tyson Brown
Mer*Man*. Mer-MAN!!!

Re: Storing full foot pocket fins

Yeah, seems like it would fatigue the rubber long term. Never tried it though.
Old 12-31-2018, 02:30 PM   #3
popgun pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary H View Post
I saw a video some time back showing a technique of folding the heel back over the back of the foot pocket which leaves the foot pocket wide open to put your foot in. It is then an easy grab of the heel tab and it pops right up onto the back of your foot. I have been using this technique for several years now and like it. I think I saw it on the Mako website, but can't seem to find it there now.

Anyway, my question regards storing fins with the heel tab flipped under the foot pocket. Does it potentially cause long term damage? Anybody tried this with good, bad or indifferent results?
Rubber under tension is preferentially attacked by ozone in the air and causes cracking. You see it on mask straps where they wind through buckles and on speargun bands where they are secured over wishbone balls. A lot depends on the material used in the fins, but rubber heels reversed will pick up cracks, however you may have chopped up the fins elsewhere before it gets bad. Ozone is oxygen, but produced by electrical motors sparking and industrial processes, small amounts are always in the air around us. I worked in the tire industry for a decade, so that is where my info comes from with respect to rubbber products.

Last edited by popgun pete; 01-01-2019 at 04:24 PM.
popgun pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 08:39 AM   #4
florfreediver

Hi Gary H,
I have been putting my fins on that way for about the last forty years or so.
Still doing it, especially with my practice swim fins at the local pool.
However, I would not dream of storing them with the heel tab flipped. Why would you want to do that in the first place?
Have a safe New Year.
Mike.
florfreediver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 09:09 AM   #5
Gary H

Thanks guys, Happy New Year!

A dive day for me is usually a 3 day activity … Load gear in the car on day 1, move gear from car to boat, dive, move gear back to the car, clean fish, unload the car again and rinse gear on day 2, then store gear on day 3.

The reason I asked is I am always trying to think of ways to save the load on my hands on dive days.

Old 01-01-2019, 09:27 AM   #6
florfreediver

Hey Gary,
What make of fins are you using?

The reason I ask is that a lot of full pocket fins will not allow the heel tab to be bent back and under.
If I remember from the shop days, Omer and a few other brands have foot-pockets that are not that supple and it would be bad (probably impossible) to try and force them.

I have always been a Cressi guy myself and they allow the tab backflip.

Mike.
florfreediver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 09:48 AM   #7
Gary H

They are Mako pockets that have screws, rails, etc. for replaceable blades

Old 01-01-2019, 04:32 PM   #8
popgun pete

To answer your question it depends on what you mean by long term. A couple of days, or maybe a week and I doubt there will be problems as long as you relax them for longer periods when the fins are not being used. When new the rubber will not show any cracking, but as the rubber gets older and stiffer you will find one day as you stress them that you will see a bunch of tiny cracks that seemed to have suddenly developed, but have been there longer without you noticing them. That is when the fins may still be usable, but are on their way out.
popgun pete is offline   Reply With Quote