Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All About Guns

All About Guns What's your weapon of choice, and why? Discuss the beloved speargun here!

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-04-2008, 01:39 PM   #1
miles

Send a message via MSN to miles
New Pelaj Railgun Review

Pelaj have sent me and Tommy Botha a few of their proto-type guns to test. Over the past few months, these guns have been tested by both of us and here are our views:

From an average diver like me, certain categories are worth looking at:

Aesthetically, the blue cammo on the blue water gun and the brown cammo on the shorter reef gun look very good. The build quality looks to be very good and has certainly stood up to our abuse over the last few months. The double band muzzle looks and works very well, possibly one of the nicest double band muzzles Iíve used. The rail is also quite substantial and the spear sits quite nicely on it.

One of the biggest complaints that Iíve read on the spearfishing forums is that many donít like the angle of the handle. It is more upright, when compared to the usual railguns, but when I used the gun, I adapted very quickly and actually came to rather like the handle.

All of the above is quite fine and well, but just exactly how well does it shoot? Simply put: quite SUPPERBLY!! The Pelaj gun in EXTREMELY accurate!! Maybe itís the handle, but Iíve found that from the very first shot, the gun was EXACTLY on target. Where-ever I aimed for, is where the spear hit. Pin-point accuracy!!

Unfortunately, our tuna season has been dismal, so I havenít yet been able to test the Pelaj gun on 50-90kg (100-200lb) class Yellowfin Tuna, but have absolutely no doubt that theyíll work very well, especially the 3x14mm band Pelaj Kanji gun. Tommy and I were able to test it on some smaller pelajics and some reef fish, up to 20kgís, and were very impressed with these guns performance.

Review as per the legendary South African Spearo, and arguably one of the best spearoís in the world, Tommy Botha:

ďWhen entering the water with a new gun, one is unsure about the accuracy and the fear of placing a poor shot or even completely missing a large fish, surely puts one nerveís on edge. Especially when one is using a gun whose grip is different to the normal guns I use. All these fears are prevalent UNTIL youíve taken your first shot! The Pelaj gun has performed flawlessly and has displayed superb accuracy. No guessing or compensating for high or low shots, the Pelaj gun simply shoots where you aim it.

The brown cammo, that I used on the reefs, worked well, blending in well. The yellow on the grips is also very visible, making the retrieval of your gun easy should you drop it.

One particular incident was when my sinuses were blocked and I was unable to dive past the 5m mark. I ended up shooting a 9kg White Musselcracker from the top, with a vertical shot, hitting the fish exactly where I aimed. Anyone who spears regularly will know that vertical shots offer a very small target and itís extremely difficult to hit the fish. Shows the superb accuracy. Furthermore, the fact that Iíve not yet missed a fish with the Pelaj gun is indicative of just how good this gun works! ď

In conclusion, both Tommy Botha and I have only tested the 120 Pelaj guns and both of us echo the sentiment that Pelaj have created an extremely accurate and well balanced gun. It most certainly is on par if not better than the current genre of railguns. I can honestly say that I have now found a new favorite gun!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	catch.JPG
Views:	5436
Size:	108.7 KB
ID:	69057   Click image for larger version

Name:	miles.JPG
Views:	3365
Size:	98.3 KB
ID:	69058   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tommy1.JPG
Views:	3280
Size:	85.0 KB
ID:	69059   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tommy2.JPG
Views:	3214
Size:	71.9 KB
ID:	69060   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tommy 3.JPG
Views:	6222
Size:	52.4 KB
ID:	69061  

miles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 01:45 PM   #2
Wilddiver
Daryl Balfour

Re: New Pelaj Railgun Review

Hiya Miles,
Yeah, they look good. I've ordered a 1,5m Kanji as a back-up bluewater pelagic gun to my big wooden Matt Alexander. Some nice fish you got with Tommy there.

We'll be down in May for the tuna comp - hope the big 'uns are around by then - and look forward to a chance to dive with you and Tommy.

Safe, Selective, Sustainable Seafood!
www.wildphotossafaris.com
www.diving-action.com
Wilddiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 02:17 PM   #3
peskydor

I would have preferred detailed pics of the guns rather than fish fotos. But, this would not be an advert from SA without some kind of claim about fish. About the grip; it is baffling to me why spear guns use the Luger grip. Among hand guns, only the Ruger has retained the wrist buster for nostalgia reasons. Evidentally, this spear gun manufacturer, "Pelaj", has come to the same conclusion. Good for them.
peskydor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 02:35 PM   #4
miles

Hiya

Pesky, PELAJ is actually an Australian product. Here are a couple of pic's, courtesy of: http://www.designawards.com.au/appli...licationID=747
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Pelaj1.jpg
Views:	1751
Size:	134.7 KB
ID:	69068   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pelaj2.jpg
Views:	1679
Size:	124.7 KB
ID:	69069   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pelaj3.jpg
Views:	1673
Size:	118.6 KB
ID:	69070   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pelaj4.jpg
Views:	1695
Size:	130.8 KB
ID:	69071   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kanji.jpg
Views:	2010
Size:	7.4 KB
ID:	69072  

Old 02-04-2008, 02:50 PM   #5
peskydor

Australia, whatever. Seeing those pics shows nothing innovative except the grip and I will offer a guess that any perceived improvement in accuracy is solely due to that component. Back in the day, the Spearfisherman company sold a gun with a grip cloned from the Luger. Many of today's guns claim to be "Colt 45" or something but most are Lugers which pistoleros know to be inaccurate.
Old 02-04-2008, 03:21 PM   #6
miles

Hiya

Quote:
Australia, whatever.
Just for your information, Australia is actually a completely different continent, as opposed to South Africa, which is situated at the southern most tip of the continent called Africa!! Distance from Cape Town, South Africa to Sydney, Australia is 6861 miles (11042 km's).

Quote:
I will offer a guess that any perceived improvement in accuracy
Check the shot placement on the 18kg yellowtail below. Stoned fish tend to be the result of good accuracy and not PERCEIVED improvement of accuracy......
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Tommy1.JPG
Views:	1530
Size:	85.0 KB
ID:	69075  
Old 02-04-2008, 03:46 PM   #7
peskydor

Miles, very funny. These days, conflicts of interest span continents at the speed of light. Is your thread an advert or not?
Old 02-04-2008, 04:22 PM   #8
miles

Hiya

Pesky, an advert for what? Palaj guns? I don't know!! They asked me to test their guns and i did!! Found them to be quite good and am simply reporting what i've found.

To be more forth-coming, they have offered me a sponsorship deal, which i will most likely take. Not that i need any more guns, but more from the perspective of being able to help the sport by participating in R&D for a gun manufacturer. (and i like playing with new toys!!)

Regards
miles
Old 02-04-2008, 04:35 PM   #9
Mattedhead
Matt Head

Good on ya Miles! Most of us appreciate your posts, as they are the valued opinion of an experienced and respected diver...you are one of the more positive members on the board...however if you need a heaping dose of negativity, just check out the posts from the ol' salt "Peskydor." I can't remember the last post that wasn't sarcastic, negative or hyper-critical...

Regardless, thanks for the notice of a new product...one that most of us wouldn't be exposed to here in the US.
Mattedhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 05:14 PM   #10
RabiSpear
Blake Gaylord

Pesky, who are you?

Thanks for the thoughts Miles. The guns look interesting. I may have to check those out. They have been advertising forever.
Old 02-04-2008, 05:37 PM   #11
Wahooooo!

Good gun review Miles. I enjoy your writing style whether you are reviewing a gun or a trip report. Post some pics when you get your first monster tuna with one of those guns.

Bruce
Wahooooo! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 08:38 PM   #12
kill shot
PELAGIC POKER!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattedhead View Post
Good on ya Miles! Most of us appreciate your posts, as they are the valued opinion of an experienced and respected diver...you are one of the more positive members on the board...however if you need a heaping dose of negativity, just check out the posts from the ol' salt "Peskydor." I can't remember the last post that wasn't sarcastic, negative or hyper-critical...

Regardless, thanks for the notice of a new product...one that most of us wouldn't be exposed to here in the US.
Hit the nail on the head with that one. Miles hope to see you in May.
Nice fish by the way.

Eric
Old 02-04-2008, 09:04 PM   #13
Robbert

Got a quick question. Why is it that it seems we are reluctant to post weblinks to company's we are discussing? Is it deemed to commercial to post a web link?

I have been collecting links to various gun builders and have noticed this trend. Every once in a while someone will post a link but it seems the rare exception. This thread is another example. So I googled Pelaj and the actual website did not come up right away but I did eventually find them. This has been tru ewith several other gun builders websites.

From my perspective it seems web links wudl not be to commercial becuase you can go there or not. The choice is yours. Maybe I'm missing something.

By the way Miles, nice review and I'll be adding Pelaj to my ever growing list of gun builders!

- Robbert
Robbert@SpearTrips.com
Robbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 11:13 PM   #14
settingsteel
1Breath,1Shot,1Kill

Nice pix and rpt, good to see your back in SA
settingsteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 11:41 PM   #15
Man-O-War
Lothario

www.pelaj.com

Most of his stuff seems very similar to Rob Allen products, like this sheath/knife:

I dont think Pelaj brand has representation in USA

Miles, does the gun have a full lenght rail?

Nice report

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbert View Post
Got a quick question. Why is it that it seems we are reluctant to post weblinks to company's we are discussing? Is it deemed to commercial to post a web link?

I have been collecting links to various gun builders and have noticed this trend. Every once in a while someone will post a link but it seems the rare exception. This thread is another example. So I googled Pelaj and the actual website did not come up right away but I did eventually find them. This has been tru ewith several other gun builders websites.

From my perspective it seems web links wudl not be to commercial becuase you can go there or not. The choice is yours. Maybe I'm missing something.

By the way Miles, nice review and I'll be adding Pelaj to my ever growing list of gun builders!

- Robbert
Robbert@SpearTrips.com
Man-O-War is offline   Reply With Quote