Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > General Topics (Non-regional) > General Spearfishing & Diving Discussion

General Spearfishing & Diving Discussion This is where you post to discuss general spearfishing topics that could apply to any region.

Old 04-08-2018, 07:54 PM   #1
Behslayer

Slip Tips and Powerheads?

Hello,

Does anyone out there have any actual experience using Powerheads while Bluewater Diving and also using a Slip Tip?

I'm considering getting a Powerhead for an emergency only situation.. but I keep running into atleast two concerns.

1. I dive with a Slip Tip. It seems likely that as you add a Powerhead to a Slip Tip in what would probably be an energetic situation, you would increase the chance that the Tip will fall off leaving you hanging?

2. It would seem more than possible to have an emergency situation after having shot a fish and thus not having a shaft in place to use the Powerhead with?

I'm sure I'm not the first one to cross this bridge. I'm most interested to gather insight and suggestions from people who have actual experience with either of these scenarios.

Thanks
Behslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 10:23 PM   #2
jfjf

Re: Slip Tips and Powerheads?

Not sure I meet your desired experience criteria, but one solution might be to have a kill spike on the end of the gun and a slip on tip stored in a pocket that you can put on the spike and jab the shark...

Possibly you can configure two different designs, one for a spike and another that would be deployed on the male end of the slip tip, you would pull the slip tip off, slide the power tip on and fire the gun with the tip hanging to the side.
jfjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 06:42 AM   #3
HeadHunter
Dan MacMahon

http://www.spearboard.com/showthread...ght=kill+spike

Smart people realize they know very little.
Stupid people think they know everything.
HeadHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 06:39 PM   #4
kicker84

Hey Jon, this is Chris, I just bought on of your 155s. Give me a ring if you want 252 521 2475. I've had experience using power heads shooting commercially. it's a fine line between inertia prematurely detonating your round before it leaves the gun with a weaker spring and not having enough juice to detonate at distance. ive never tried to put one on a slip tip, but i'm willing to bet it would be more trouble than it's worth with it being muzzle heavy and falling off. Ive had them on kill spikes before too, with iffy success. don't even consider the ray odor style ppd, they won't work when it counts.
kicker84 is offline   Reply With Quote