Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > International Section > Other International

Other International Here is an area for shooters from Europe, Asia, Africa, and all points in between.

Old 11-13-2017, 02:57 PM   #1
lagfish

Baja in December / January

Hi,
What's the best town/charter to go with for reef and bluewater in Baja California Mexico in late December and January? I'm getting some conflicting information about La Ventana. Some say it's good, others say the weather in Decemer is unpredictable and we should try the Pacific side. IDeally we would like to not wander too far from La Paz. Thanks!
lagfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 04:45 PM   #2
diveincanada

Re: Baja in December / January

The thing I like about Ventana is that even when it's windy, there are lots of bays to protect you from the wind. Same goes for blue water, you can go on either side of the big island in front. You're more exposed in the Pacific. But if you stay in La Paz, it's not such a long drive to the Pacific. You can also try san jose del Cabo, the East Cape & Gordo banks, etc.
Enjoy !
diveincanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 05:27 PM   #3
kon

The Pistoleros Del Mar crew is run out of La Paz. Link here. They're a great group and their customer service is top notch. They have boats that go out on the Pacific side if the conditions aren't great in the Sea of Cortez. There's lots of pelagics and great reefs. It's about an hour drive from La Paz and they'll even pick you up and drive you to/from there. They're also working on a Pacific side camp. If it's ready by the time you go, you can spend a night there instead of driving back and forth. Have fun and good luck
kon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 01:24 PM   #4
lagfish

Thanks. Will probably do a chartered trip on the Pacific as you suggested later on but first I am doing a first trip with a friend on a budget who's trying spearfishing for the first time so is there maybe some local panga boats that we can hire out for the day to find some spots that diveincanada suggested in the sea of Cortez? Or is Cabo/East Cape/Gordon banks better?
lagfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 01:30 PM   #5
diveincanada

It's all about the weather.
You can do some really nice shore dives on the East Cape.
If you're in San Jose, an easy shore dive is from Cabo surf hotel.
Free Parking, just walk to the beach and walk 1km west. You come back in at the Hotel. Some nice little reefs out there.
You can go out with local fisherman on some pangas but it's hit and Miss. They often know good spots to fish but spearfishing is not the same. You can be lucky or loose a lot of time and $.
Get in touch with Collin @ Indigo Adventures. He will set you up. Let him know your budget and he will find you something.
Up in La Paz Pitolero del Mar are also good.
PM me for more info. I can put you in touch with a local friend who can show you more shore dive spots.
Good luck !
diveincanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 04:54 PM   #6
RangerGary

Send a message via AIM to RangerGary

I'm headed to La Paz December 18-27 to chill and Spear. I don't generally have any detailed plans outside just scouting spots north of La Paz off point and doing some shore diving. I figure i'll just wing it the first time. I'm a budget traveler and don't spend on guided adventures. I'd like to camp out on Island esiritu santo and hopefully spear from there. Going in blindly.
RangerGary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 09:04 PM   #7
Polespearo
Waterman

RangerGary

I leave on the 20th or 22nd but from 18 till i leave we can go spearfishing! YT might start coming in
Polespearo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 10:22 PM   #8
RangerGary

Send a message via AIM to RangerGary

Awesome. Let's meet up. I'm staying in the Malecon area. I'm coming in probably in the late afternoon from San Jose Cabo airport via bus. Message me on the 18th or after.

Gary
RangerGary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 06:20 PM   #9
geofri
Ectothermic member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerGary View Post
I'm headed to La Paz December 18-27 to chill and Spear. I don't generally have any detailed plans outside just scouting spots north of La Paz off point and doing some shore diving. I figure i'll just wing it the first time. I'm a budget traveler and don't spend on guided adventures. I'd like to camp out on Island esiritu santo and hopefully spear from there. Going in blindly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polespearo View Post
RangerGary

I leave on the 20th or 22nd but from 18 till i leave we can go spearfishing! YT might start coming in

Hey guys, how did you do?? Care to share a trip report?

Looking at a quick trip down in a couple weeks, haven't been there during the winter months before.
geofri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 02:17 PM   #10
nilsonov

yea come on, need trip reports to get through this freezing winter. also planning an april trip
nilsonov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 06:44 PM   #11
Polespearo
Waterman

Yt is looking promising but hasnt delivered full season yet. Lots of mackerel and some YT. But lots of windy days too. Tomorrow should be going to a good spot and will be able to tell u more.
Polespearo is offline   Reply With Quote