Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Boating > Dive Boats 4-Sale

Dive Boats 4-Sale Have a dive boat you want to sell? Post photos and a good description, and you may just have some success.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 09-10-2008, 02:49 PM   #46
FatCat

Re: commercial fishing business with boat/truck

I'm pretty sure that the magnuson act only requires commercail boats over 26' to display 10" boat numbers which most call commercial numbers. And I only say this from a North Carolina perspective is you can sell a recreational bag limit of reef and pelegic fish for every person present while selling them with one state license to sell, No NMF federal permit required at this time but they are trying to change this loop hole.
FatCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 03:10 PM   #47
love2shootfish

Yes come January 1st, you won't be able to sell the grouper, they passed the law, I recieved the paper about a week ago about the change.Like someone said earlier, they are using it as 15% of the catch decrease
love2shootfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 04:11 PM   #48
HARVESTER

You can sell your rec limit of SG if you have a spl-rs. Soon that will not be the case. You will need a Federal permit like the unlimited one I have, plus the spl-rs.

I think its all designed to reduce the number of people commercially fishing - easier to keep tabs that way
HARVESTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 06:53 PM   #49
7footer
7footer

you guys are to funny if there were a talk show about fishing this would be it. My take is that if you do not know the legal stands on comercial fishing and some one wants to read the law in the own form then dont call me from jail and dont ask me for any bail money. Jail time will give you alot of time to read up on the buisness.

narcosisscuba.com
www.seahornet.com
7footer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 07:50 PM   #50
love2shootfish

I quess other then some bugs on the beach down south diving has been slow, I quess they need something to post about???
Old 09-11-2008, 02:20 PM   #51
Grin

It must just be a fluke that this supposed illegal activity is part of the new regs. Specifically, eliminating selling recreational limits with a plain RS. Seems it wouldn't be written, and debated, and fought about at the meetings, if it were not legal right now. I guess this must not be legal on the gulf side, (I don't know about the gulf). I know many RS holders who sell their rec limit of Grouper in the closest market they can find, with no hassle.
Although I know many who make some decent $$$ selling grouper with a RS, and I don't wish them any demise. I am kind of happy with the one new reg eliminating RS sold Groupers. It's suppoosed to be a rec catch, but it's not like you are going to bring everyone on the boat to the fishhouse to show you have one fisherman for every rec limit. This grey area opens the door to unenforcable selling as many as you can get to the dock legally. As one RS holder, by himself, can walk through the door of any fishhouse and sell a dozen (or many more) Grouper without any questions. Or sell fish for his buddies that don't have a RS licence. So that's alot of fish removed from harvest by plain RS holders, when you add them all up. I bet it's alot more than 15% in my area of the state.

Now to get on a tangent:
So if they actually do shut down 100% for 4 months, rec and comercial. And also lower the rec limit to one Gag grouper per person when it is open, And the fleet has virtually been cut about 65% by fuel and economic issues already. That's an absolute insane amount of fish being saved.
Next thing we'll be hearing DiverLen post the groupers are eating all the lobsters, and we need to limit lobsters to 1 per person for a one month season.
Grin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 03:04 PM   #52
motocrunch

In short right now you can sell your rec limit of cobia but you will not sellgrouperor snapper,shark and other federally covered fish, llook at my avatar they were sold on a r/s with a spl also, however the boat must be registered commercial ,.... you can tranfer or lease the r/s with the boat the buyer would have to provide 5000.00 in trip tickets in twelve months in order to qualify for R/S renewal then have 5000.00 dollars aggregate in a period of three years for continuing renewal ...An SPL is 50.00 for a florida resident and there are many speies other than pogies one can sell....with an spl one can work on a commercial vessel adding those trip tickets for a twelve month period or get a crew share statement showing 5000.oo dollars in a twelve moth period or show tusing a tax return that 25% of their annual income with earned fishing there are a few more way to get a R/S but you get the idea,....long story short I wouldnt call it a buisness if your trying to feed a family..you might pay for gas and supplys if your good and work hard.....buisness I dont think so maybe a hobby that can earn a few extra bucks
motocrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 04:32 PM   #53
Tyler Durden
1st rule: Don't Talk.....

So if the package is $22,000, and your permits are estimated at $10,000, would you keep whatever permits you have and sell the boat for $12,000?
Tyler Durden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 05:52 PM   #54
love2shootfish

Old 09-11-2008, 06:12 PM   #55
love2shootfish

Grin , Its funny you say that. For me It doesn't matter about the grouper closure. Soon as it comes back in, I will be blasting everyone I see and get a higher dollar for them then I do now.We (commercial fishermen) with a fed permit will be able to control the market a little better and demand a higher price for good home grown grouper. But many will have to watch them swim by, Charlie and I, We will have many to chose from. It is not a balanced fishery. They screwed up another one.....I wish there where people on the commission who actually knew about the fish that they want to change limits on. As far as being able to sell grouper now you all can believe what you want, live in some fantasy world. But everyone I know with an R/S sells their grouper, Every FWC friend I have that looks at my catch and visits the markets have NO problem with it. I quess it is only against the law for people with small minds or ones that can't read and do the proper research???? As far as not being a business, you can't get any federal permits to fish with in florida without one, It is a total tax writeoff. Plus I quess you guys down south don't get the fish We get here. If you are good,. you can make plenty of money plus have all your expense paid.This boat would be perfect for someone in south florida close runs, able to sell your fish, go back out again with min.cost. plus If you have other income or decide to attach a federal permit to it . The taxs are offset....Uncle Sam knows its a business.....
Old 09-11-2008, 07:18 PM   #56
motocrunch

Blang is correct it is going be illeagal to sell your rec limits for fed fish after the abover mentioned date, shark,grouper,snapper most notably...with a r/s you could sell a rec limit of cobia .....the fish in my av were sold using only spl and r/s...read the fws site jees some of you act like its a chinese puzzle the requirements for a florida resident is 50.00 to get an spl not much else....then if you cann show 25% of your income has come from selling fish you cxan get an r/s or a crew share statement or a combineation that shows 5000.00 made in a twelve month period not hard to figure out but hard to do
motocrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 08:48 PM   #57
HARVESTER

Boys, thanks for the rant. I think the deal is good for this boat/RS attachment.
HARVESTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 09:09 PM   #58
Flyingtiger
SAFMC G and S AP

Send a message via Yahoo to Flyingtiger

THE problem you face is the laps. They want them and it goes by your landings. they are going to start with the tilefish and move on. They are selling the deal on how you would be able to fish on closures. But one more thing is that the allocation amendment has not been drafted yet and this could screw the commercial hard. when 6 of the Ap walked out due to frustration, who knows who they will put in their place. I am one of the dead middle people with 18 years commercial and now charter and rec. As far as demand as someone who is involved in market seafood buying, the imports are only going to get stronger with lower prices which I see on a daily basis. Then when you have to buy poundage from joe ITQ holder you just lost 2 more dollars a pound.
I commercially fished wreckfish and was a victim of ITQ. Keep speaking against it--I will.
Remember also when they imposed ITQ on wrecks they cut the rec fisherman out.
Also about about the fed permit on 16 it will affect the sale of that permit. Remember they have to approve the sale which is what they did to me. They told me before I invested that everything was good for the sale then they sent it to legal and screwed me. Do the sale with a lawyer.

As far as illegally fishing look at the guys longlining grouper and snapper and bringing in more snowys than allowed which dirty fish housed are fudging even with nmfs marine biologist their at weighin.

The whole thing is screwed up.

"Life is Short Live it:
Flyingtiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 09:55 PM   #59
love2shootfish

flying tiger I agree the whole thing is screwed up.We are all trying to pile up our landings. Many have out of the port been hitting them real hard. Just for the purpose of getting as much weight recorded as possible, They really don't know the fishery and I have been writing letters and been at the meetings. Imports, thats another story they have been screwing us for a long while on that , but many good buyers know the difference. Many grouper you see in the market that are imports have their gills removed and sit in large vats thawing. Many locals who apreciate fresh fish will know, so it could be a fine balance as to how much import will show up and how much the local customer who knows what a real fish tastes like, will be the bases of the market. It would be better to just retail them yourself, develop a customer base that are willing to pay. Just like fine sushi grade tuna people will pay. again you are right and keep up the fight, I will as well. they have proven data that they where wrong about closures in the gulf, you think they would apply some of that knowledge to this , but some people never learn. all this does is put a real heavy pressure on them when the season comes back in. and as far as our area they where on a late spawn so they don't even have that right.hopefully they will have spawned out by the time the season opens. but I'd bet money it is going to be crazy when it opens.......now until the January 1st grouper are going to be slaughtered... It is a joke!! what balanced fishery???
Old 09-12-2008, 04:09 AM   #60
Flyingtiger
SAFMC G and S AP

Send a message via Yahoo to Flyingtiger

Iagree-they do not care about the data. George Geiger told me of the snapper last May now he was telling me about all the others. We have a big F on our back.

"Life is Short Live it:
Flyingtiger is offline   Reply With Quote