Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > General Topics (Non-regional) > General Spearfishing & Diving Discussion

General Spearfishing & Diving Discussion This is where you post to discuss general spearfishing topics that could apply to any region.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-07-2015, 01:27 PM   #1
shnapple
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 13
Arrow How To Make Octopus Sashimi

Hey guys,

We got a new recipe/tutorial out for you! For anyone catching octopus you have to try it Carlito's Style!

Check out the new tutorial!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_KPciK8W5E
shnapple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 04:55 PM   #2
2fishin2
Pacific Spearo
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Age: 57
Posts: 3,236
Re: How To Make Octopus Sashimi

Sashimi is raw. Yours is cooked.
2fishin2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 05:15 PM   #3
Mexsurfer
Registered User
 
Mexsurfer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: SD, CA
Posts: 62
Re: How To Make Octopus Sashimi

How did you catch your Octopus? and how was it cooked?
Mexsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 01:33 AM   #4
Markio
Shoot to eat
 
Markio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Ca
Posts: 1,588
Re: How To Make Octopus Sashimi




Quote:
Originally Posted by Mexsurfer View Post
How did you catch your Octopus? and how was it cooked?
In CA you can only catch it by hand. Go grab one and bite and crush the skull...
Markio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 02:01 AM   #5
TheMackDaddy
The who's who of hoos
 
TheMackDaddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Palo Alto, CA
Posts: 1,988
Re: How To Make Octopus Sashimi

eh, i gotta vote that octopus is one of those things that so damn good cooked there is not point to sashimi, where with fish you could argue that sashimi is better than cooked.

kind of like lobster or crab sashimi? its just so much better cooked
TheMackDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 10:58 AM   #6
Mexsurfer
Registered User
 
Mexsurfer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: SD, CA
Posts: 62
Re: How To Make Octopus Sashimi

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMackDaddy View Post
eh, i gotta vote that octopus is one of those things that so damn good cooked there is not point to sashimi, where with fish you could argue that sashimi is better than cooked.

kind of like lobster or crab sashimi? its just so much better cooked

Yes it is! This "recipe" is nothing more than putting a few store bought items together on a plate. I just want to know how you get the octo from raw to "sashimi" grade.

Here's a white wine reduction glaze finished on the bbq.

Mexsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 04:39 PM   #7
Silvertriton
Registered User
 
Silvertriton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Panama
Posts: 73
Re: How To Make Octopus Sashimi

If you wish to have raw octopus sashimi, this is in my opinion the best method which we use in the south of Italy...
get an empty cardboard tube like the ones used by Pringle chips, stuff it with fresh octopus, if the octopus is too big, portion it so that it can be squeezed into the tube leaving no empty spaces. Put it in the freezer. An octopus more than 1kg benefits from at least a couple of days frozen, a smaller one can be served after 2/3 hours. Half an hour before serving, remove the tube from the freezer, remove enough outer cardboard as the amount you need serving, after 25 min. you should be able to slice thinly the solid tube (best if with a salami slicing machine); serve the sliced octopus salami on a plate, drizzle with olive oil and lemon, sprinkle black pepper and chopped parsley. Alternatively you may serve it with Soy and wasabi...
Silvertriton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 06:19 PM   #8
VangysWay
Registered User
 
VangysWay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 986
Re: How To Make Octopus Sashimi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertriton View Post
If you wish to have raw octopus sashimi, this is in my opinion the best method which we use in the south of Italy...
get an empty cardboard tube like the ones used by Pringle chips, stuff it with fresh octopus, if the octopus is too big, portion it so that it can be squeezed into the tube leaving no empty spaces. Put it in the freezer. An octopus more than 1kg benefits from at least a couple of days frozen, a smaller one can be served after 2/3 hours. Half an hour before serving, remove the tube from the freezer, remove enough outer cardboard as the amount you need serving, after 25 min. you should be able to slice thinly the solid tube (best if with a salami slicing machine); serve the sliced octopus salami on a plate, drizzle with olive oil and lemon, sprinkle black pepper and chopped parsley. Alternatively you may serve it with Soy and wasabi...
Wow, that sounds amazing. Thank you very much for sharing that. No need to rub with salt and massage at all?
__________________
Addiction Spears
VangysWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
cooking, octopus, recipes, spear fishing

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:43 AM.


The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Social Media Forum Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©2002 - 2014 Spearboard.com