Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > General Topics (Non-regional) > General Spearfishing & Diving Discussion

General Spearfishing & Diving Discussion This is where you post to discuss general spearfishing topics that could apply to any region.

Old 11-19-2019, 07:53 PM   #1
SEATUX

That's gonna leave a mark!

https://nypost.com/2017/01/05/man-ge...6c4bLyiJSGHOek
SEATUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 08:40 PM   #2
Alec

Re: That's gonna leave a mark!

That’s very unfortunate. I don’t get how shit like this still happens
Alec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 10:36 AM   #3
popgun pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alec View Post
That’s very unfortunate. I don’t get how shit like this still happens
Sloppy gun handling and carelessness usually with people not concentrating on the lethal weapon in their hands and shooting when the target is not clear of other divers. Had my share of shafts fly by from beginners and yahoos, so now keep away from all but a trusted few seasoned watermen.

These nasty accidents are all being accrued as future ammo to get rid of spearfishing, so as a sport it is ultra-important to keep our record as clean as possible. Some misinformed folk see us as little better than axe murderers and baby seal clubbers, I heard these exact words spill from the mouth of a government representative.
popgun pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 01:43 PM   #4
Alec

Quote:
Originally Posted by popgun pete View Post
Sloppy gun handling and carelessness usually with people not concentrating on the lethal weapon in their hands and shooting when the target is not clear of other divers. Had my share of shafts fly by from beginners and yahoos, so now keep away from all but a trusted few seasoned watermen.

These nasty accidents are all being accrued as future ammo to get rid of spearfishing, so as a sport it is ultra-important to keep our record as clean as possible. Some misinformed folk see us as little better than axe murderers and baby seal clubbers, I heard these exact words spill from the mouth of a government representative.
Spearfishing isn’t going anywhere, anytime soon. No need to be so paranoid lol
Old 11-20-2019, 04:08 PM   #5
popgun pete

Quote:
Where you live maybe not, but these anti-hunting people keep their powder dry. Some years ago there was a proposed fishing bill that in a preamble said most fishermen were OK, but exceptions were the criminal actions of spearfishermen in not obeying size limits or species restrictions and stealing from fish traps and lobster pots. Now it was not as blunt as this, but that was what it was saying in a lot more words. It would have slipped through unobtrusively in a heap of political gobble de gook which no one really wants to wade through, but it was caught by myself and others who wrote up a submission dismantling it line by line and only then was it changed. In the wash up the whole bill was trashed as it was surfing on the then Marine Park no take zone expansion and an anti-cruelty to animals stance and the proponents had fortunately misread the public mood. But they certainly had a try and those green political types have not gone away.

It got as far as a draft bill for submission in black letter print that was circulated for public comment, but in a hidden way so that if you were not paying attention very few would have noticed it and it only really had spearfishing as the group most affected, line fishos for the moment were not going to lose anything much.

From memory it was back in 2005, so you would not have been doing much spearfishing then.

Last edited by popgun pete; 11-20-2019 at 04:28 PM.
Old 11-20-2019, 08:13 PM   #6
Alec

Quote:
Where you live maybe not, but these anti-hunting people keep their powder dry. Some years ago there was a proposed fishing bill that in a preamble said most fishermen were OK, but exceptions were the criminal actions of spearfishermen in not obeying size limits or species restrictions and stealing from fish traps and lobster pots. Now it was not as blunt as this, but that was what it was saying in a lot more words. It would have slipped through unobtrusively in a heap of political gobble de gook which no one really wants to wade through, but it was caught by myself and others who wrote up a submission dismantling it line by line and only then was it changed. In the wash up the whole bill was trashed as it was surfing on the then Marine Park no take zone expansion and an anti-cruelty to animals stance and the proponents had fortunately misread the public mood. But they certainly had a try and those green political types have not gone away.

It got as far as a draft bill for submission in black letter print that was circulated for public comment, but in a hidden way so that if you were not paying attention very few would have noticed it and it only really had spearfishing as the group most affected, line fishos for the moment were not going to lose anything much.

From memory it was back in 2005, so you would not have been doing much spearfishing then.
I was spearfishing in 2005, and reeling in wahoo in 2000. It’s not about age, but experience
Old 11-20-2019, 08:15 PM   #7
popgun pete

Quote:
I was spearfishing in 2005, and reeling in wahoo in 2000. It’s not about age, but experience
The point was in 2005 you would not have known this was going on, and doing the maths 14 years ago you were age 10.
Old 11-20-2019, 09:08 PM   #8
Alec

Quote:
The point was in 2005 you would not have known this was going on, and doing the maths 14 years ago you were age 10.
I’m guessing you’re old enough to be my grandfather? Why the **** are you arguing with me then
Old 11-20-2019, 10:46 PM   #9
popgun pete

Quote:
I’m guessing you’re old enough to be my grandfather? Why the **** are you arguing with me then
Well no point in saying more, others can judge if you want to take detours from the subject at hand.

Last edited by popgun pete; 11-22-2019 at 01:46 PM. Reason: typo
Old 11-21-2019, 02:47 AM   #10
North Star
Max

Quote:
Well no point is saying more, others can judge if you want to take detours from the subject at hand.
His screen name should be Smart Alec. All mouth, no brains.
Old 11-21-2019, 10:51 AM   #11
SEA_ARCHER
The Ocean is Calling

Quote:
You say that Alec but in the state you live there are already areas you cant spearfish, and species you can hook and line but not spear.

Most recently there were proposals to close more large areas of the keys to spearfishing, but not to hook and line. There are already huge areas of the keys where spearfishing is not allowed. So while they may not take it away all at once they are certainly taking it away piece by piece.

I don't consider myself paranoid but I am also not too naive to realize that if I am slowly boiled in a pot, the end result is the same.
SEA_ARCHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 02:18 PM   #12
Alec

LOL good thing I just keep doing me then
Old 12-31-2019, 02:17 PM   #13
TheMackDaddy
hoos your daddy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEA_ARCHER View Post
You say that Alec but in the state you live there are already areas you cant spearfish, and species you can hook and line but not spear.

Most recently there were proposals to close more large areas of the keys to spearfishing, but not to hook and line. There are already huge areas of the keys where spearfishing is not allowed. So while they may not take it away all at once they are certainly taking it away piece by piece.

I don't consider myself paranoid but I am also not too naive to realize that if I am slowly boiled in a pot, the end result is the same.
If you ask me this sport has gotten way too popular over the last 20 years and its not for the better. I see people all the time trying to "grow the sport" but I don't think its a good thing. Sure maybe that means more people to fight against proposed restrictions, but I don't think that balances out against all the extra attention it brings to the sport. I think the people trying to grow the sport usually have a financial incentive to do so. like everything when you involve money and profits altruism goes out the window very fast.
TheMackDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 08:56 PM   #14
sos26

Do you guys remember a few years ago, there was post of a guy taking vido of his buddy with a gun mounted go pro ,, clearly loaded..
Some one did chim in and scolded him , witch he needed... I do think alot of these kids acquire spearguns without proper firearms training,,, like I got from my dad starting when i was 10 .