Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Southern Atlantic Seaboard

Southern Atlantic Seaboard Here's the place for shooters from Georgia up to Maryland, including the Carolinas and Virginia.

Old 07-09-2013, 08:29 PM   #1
chuckcanavi

North Carolina - Freediving spearos

I have mainly been spearfishing off the rock jetty at cape lookout, but now looking for people who freedive intermediate spots ~ 40- 50 feet of water.

I don't know anyone who spearfishes in North Carolina so I am definitely looking to meet up with some freediving speros - I have a jet ski and a sail boat I take to the rock jetty at cape lookout, but I would love to go out to other locations and have a buddy to dive with.

I just graduated from NCSU in engineering and I am just hanging around waiting to go to graduate school, so other than flight lessons here and there I should be available anytime.

Sounds like a eharmony profile sorry about that haha.

Thanks for reading.
chuckcanavi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 02:55 PM   #2
yardpro

Re: North Carolina - Freediving spearos

i scuba, but would love to have you along..

for that depth, you will want inshore wrecks, indra, novelty, etc...

i am looking for some people to split gas with let me know if you want to slum with a bubble blower
yardpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 06:36 AM   #3
Surf razed

I am in Mhc and always looking for SAFE freediving buddies. Look me up and let's dive sometime. I also graduated from ncsu several years ago.
Surf razed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 09:36 AM   #4
smoothoperaider

Howdy fellas,

I am new to the area and brand new to the SpearBoard. This particular thread looks like a good place to start. I got hooked on spearfishing in the Colorado river in Arizona of all places the past few years but never really had a reason to hunt in more than about 5 feet of water. True free diving would be an entirely new skill set for me. Additionally, I have zero experience with scuba but am looking into a course at Olympus Diving down in MHC. I anticipate a somewhat unpredictable schedule in my job here during the break in period, but when available I would be more than happy to pony up some gas contributions for having a boot along to learn.

Thanks
smoothoperaider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 03:27 PM   #5
pacolentz
Gut shots preserve meat

Freediver here,

I go out of New River inlet and Bogue inlets as often as the weather will allow. I haven't found much up there in the 40-50 foot range. I prefer to go a little deeper, mainly for better vis. We actually have a Freedive club in Wrighstville Beach, looks like we are having our first meeting in almost two years at the end of the month. Let me know if you want any more info, or just get together and talk fish or whatever.

Later,
Rick
Old 07-15-2013, 09:14 PM   #6
dr.ed

I'll be visiting Emerald Isle in early Aug been freediving ans spearing since 1955. There is a tugboat wreck a few miles out of the inlet at west end oh EI in about 60ft.

Am looking for people with whom to dive. Help with fuel beer ect.

I taught at NCSU for a semester mid 1980's. LOL
dr.ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 11:54 AM   #7
chuckcanavi

dr. ed I am available early August. I have never dove the tugboat, but I would defanitely be up for it - perfect timing to, as I will be finishing the PFI freediver course in Wilmington July 27-28
chuckcanavi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 05:24 PM   #8
Surf razed

We dove near the tug yesterday. Vis was 30-40'. We shot several nice amberjack hanging just off the wreck. Three big sand tigers came up and showed a lot of interest by following the fish to the boat but did not get too aggressive.
Surf razed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 07:39 PM   #9
yardpro

that is pretty good viz for the tug...

i was talking with a guy today that said viz was crappy all week.... guess not there.
yardpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 08:53 AM   #10
jtvann

I live on Ocracoke Island in the OBX of NC. I love to free dive and spear, but am finding more and more that the free diving scene is more prevalent towards the Morehead City and Wilmington area. The wrecks up my way are deeper, and also fewer people spearing. Visibility is a huge factor for anything in the shallower depths.

I would like to push my limits more than I have been able to here lately. I feel like I've peaked as far as what I am able to do by myself. I'm popping sheepshead at will here lately, but its starting to not be as much fun anymore. I want to go deeper, in bluer water with bigger fish. In order for me to do that in the OBX I am going to have to be more comfortable diving with sharks and diving really deep. I am not ready to tackle either of those solo yet.

and I graduated from NCSU back in 06 ... sounds like we're in good company
jtvann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 01:16 PM   #11
Ncstick1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtvann View Post
I live on Ocracoke Island in the OBX of NC. I love to free dive and spear, but am finding more and more that the free diving scene is more prevalent towards the Morehead City and Wilmington area. The wrecks up my way are deeper, and also fewer people spearing. Visibility is a huge factor for anything in the shallower depths.

I would like to push my limits more than I have been able to here lately. I feel like I've peaked as far as what I am able to do by myself. I'm popping sheepshead at will here lately, but its starting to not be as much fun anymore. I want to go deeper, in bluer water with bigger fish. In order for me to do that in the OBX I am going to have to be more comfortable diving with sharks and diving really deep. I am not ready to tackle either of those solo yet.

I'm new to spearing, looking for some shallows to start in. Sheeps would be great. Any ideas around the OBX i could start? I've heard there is tons of mono tied up around the bonner bridge and the current is no joke.
Ncstick1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 04:10 PM   #12
Mahi Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtvann View Post

Yes, our diving is much more difficult offshore and much deeper but once you get good here you will be good and comfortable in other places. Wilmington and Morehead have more divers and awesome fishing though. And another way to get better (although it's best to have someone teach you how) is to not shoot all the decent sheepshead and such you see but stalk them, get them comfortable with you ect...usually the bigger fish will show themselves afterwards. And our vis blows but if you can hunt in our inshore vis at it's worst you can kill fish in any vis.

P.S.-There are ALOT more sharks down around Wilmington, or at least you see more. And they tend to be more aggressive than the ones I've seen up here.
Mahi Maniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 04:14 PM   #13
Mahi Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ncstick1 View Post
I'm new to spearing, looking for some shallows to start in. Sheeps would be great. Any ideas around the OBX i could start? I've heard there is tons of mono tied up around the bonner bridge and the current is no joke.
Bridge is great for fish, but usually bad vis, crowded fishermen, ect...You can try the triangle wrecks although you have to know where they are. The boiler just south of OI is a nice kayak dive but my experience there is it gets sharky. Duck pier is another option if you don't mind walking down the beach a 1/2mile then swimming 1/3rd of a mile offshore, you definitely need an east wind there or it gets freezing cold and murky. There's a lot of other wrecks and such inshore but I'll keep some of the other spots to myself
Mahi Maniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 08:34 AM   #14
Ncstick1

Thanks for the info, I was thinking about trying the boiler. I've been to the triangle once, vis was bad and there were so many people I was afraid to shoot at anything. I'll try it again on a clearer day.
Ncstick1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 09:47 AM   #15
dr.ed

Time getting close! Am up for either shore or boat ( help with fuel, ice, beer ect). PM for phone #. Mahalo in advance!
dr.ed is offline   Reply With Quote