Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All About Guns

All About Guns What's your weapon of choice, and why? Discuss the beloved speargun here!

Old 07-23-2019, 08:22 PM   #16
malibujohn

Re: RIFFE Marauder speargun

I've been to France, and being arrogant and rude is just a part of their way of life! Cap Ferat was nice but the rest sucked balls
malibujohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 08:44 PM   #17
z1taz
Blue Water Killer

Send a message via Skype™ to z1taz

Quote:
Originally Posted by malibujohn View Post
I've been to France, and being arrogant and rude is just a part of their way of life! Cap Ferat was nice but the rest sucked balls
ha ha yes i agree with you !
z1taz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 09:03 AM   #18
Mana'squal

Never thought wed see the day Riffe added curves, very good looking gun!
Mana'squal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 07:35 PM   #19
lycokayaker

Send a message via AIM to lycokayaker

Anyone have a review or more feedback on the gun??
lycokayaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 06:38 AM   #20
paddow

I’m pretty stoked with my 63” marauder.
Seems pretty accurate, pretty powerful.
I like the handle, and the trigger mech.
I’ve been using a Riffe 130 for years and was always happy with it.
Going to the marauder was an easy switch as the handle and trigger mech are the same.
It shoots where I aim.
paddow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 02:29 PM   #21
popgun pete

Jay is having a garage sale with on-line specials on "Marauder" guns and other selected gear in the lead up to Christmas.

https://speargun.com/collections/jays-garage?page=1
https://speargun.com/collections/jays-garage?page=2
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	garage sale 3 days.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	96.7 KB
ID:	244619  

Last edited by popgun pete; 12-12-2019 at 10:04 PM. Reason: extra info, 3 gun sizes reduced
popgun pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 12:52 AM   #22
spearq8

The Riffe Euro and Marauder guns have a design flaw that can be quickly fixed. The stock is just way too thin and will flex quite a bit if loaded with even mildly pushed bands. With the shorter guns (eg. 90cm) this is not very apparent ... but longer than that and it is very obvious. This flex causes very low shooting and unstable shaft flight, especially if you use shafts thinner than 7.5mm. A simple fix is to use the correct Soller Composite Carbon Fiber sleeve and put it on there. It dramatically stiffens the gun without any noticeable weight gain ... that totally transforms the gun.

Of course one more thing I don't like with the Riffe Euro and Marauder (which I think are by far the best Riffe guns) is that they have way too big a footprint for their division of power. A Riffe 120 would have a hard time keeping up with a well designed and well configured modern gun which is 3 divisions smaller. That is mostly due to using a normal trigger (which by the way is excellent) rather than a reverse trigger. I can understand why Jay did not want to use a reverse trigger previously as high forces on the sears of friction reverse triggers would be dramatically worse than the silky smooth trigger of the original Riffe. But these problems are now fixed and it simply doesn't make sense to not take advantage of modern design improvements.
spearq8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 04:29 AM   #23
popgun pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by spearq8 View Post
The Riffe Euro and Marauder guns have a design flaw that can be quickly fixed. The stock is just way too thin and will flex quite a bit if loaded with even mildly pushed bands. With the shorter guns (eg. 90cm) this is not very apparent ... but longer than that and it is very obvious. This flex causes very low shooting and unstable shaft flight, especially if you use shafts thinner than 7.5mm. A simple fix is to use the correct Soller Composite Carbon Fiber sleeve and put it on there. It dramatically stiffens the gun without any noticeable weight gain ... that totally transforms the gun.

Of course one more thing I don't like with the Riffe Euro and Marauder (which I think are by far the best Riffe guns) is that they have way too big a footprint for their division of power. A Riffe 120 would have a hard time keeping up with a well designed and well configured modern gun which is 3 divisions smaller. That is mostly due to using a normal trigger (which by the way is excellent) rather than a reverse trigger. I can understand why Jay did not want to use a reverse trigger previously as high forces on the sears of friction reverse triggers would be dramatically worse than the silky smooth trigger of the original Riffe. But these problems are now fixed and it simply doesn't make sense to not take advantage of modern design improvements.
Jay built his business on that trigger mechanism and his attention to detail in manufacturing his timber guns with solid rigging, tabbed shafts, open muzzle design, etc., so I don't see him changing it and people are lining up to buy them.
Old 12-17-2019, 07:14 PM   #24
Scotch

I’m confused about your comment on twisting and the warranty repair. What actually got twisted? Was the stock or channel off line ?? I have had multiple riffe guns, currently have a mid handle island and a euro 120 ( have had them for years). I have had 0 issues. All my dive buddies have mutiple riffe guns, with the only issue ever coming up was a cracked handle on a euro 130.

The best shot in my dive group uses a euro 130. Seen him shoot fish though the eyes multiple times in blue water. Same person has a marauder from the first run produced. Think it’s number 7 out of 8. YouTube lajollasportfishing and watch what he does with a riffe 130 in one outing.

In my opinion, the only downside to the riffe business model is that they build guns that last a lifetime. So it’s pointless to buy a new one when you can get a used one for half price.

I miss fish all the time, but when I do, I usually just yell **** underwater and proceed to reload. I don’t go on a public forum and make senseless claims.
Scotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 08:24 PM   #25
popgun pete

They must do OK or Jay would never sell another gun and would have long ago gone broke, which he obviously has not. A lot of spearfishermen don't bother with forums, so what you read here is not necessarily what the majority think and many members don’t post anyway. It is the over powering that kills gun's performance, stay in their sweet spot and they generally do the job. There are always longer guns if you want further reaching weapons, but often the fish can be shot by waiting for curiosity or hunger to get the better of them and bring them in. A lot depends on the fish species being pursued and where you find them in terms of the underwater terrain and water conditions, hence hunters are often in completely different situations where fish may be either hard to find or they are virtually lining up to be shot.

Looks like post #25 disappeared while I was typing!
Old 12-18-2019, 07:35 AM   #26
Red Tide

The Riffe Hawaiian and Riffe Baja were my first two real freedive spearguns. I shot thousands of fish with those guns for years and they never once gave me any issues. Riffe is the tried and true F150 get it done of spearguns.
Old 12-19-2019, 01:30 AM   #27
North Star
Max

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Tide View Post
The Riffe Hawaiian and Riffe Baja were my first two real freedive spearguns. I shot thousands of fish with those guns for years and they never once gave me any issues. Riffe is the tried and true F150 get it done of spearguns.
This^^^^

My experience exactly. I have 4 Riffe guns of various lengths, have used them all a ton, shown them no mercy, and they are as good today as when I bought them. A true lifetime gun.
Old 12-19-2019, 05:37 AM   #28
Sea_Bass

The new Marauder looks great, interested to hear any personal reviews.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spearq8 View Post
... Of course one more thing I don't like with the Riffe Euro and Marauder (which I think are by far the best Riffe guns) is that they have way too big a footprint for their division of power. A Riffe 120 would have a hard time keeping up with a well designed and well configured modern gun which is 3 divisions smaller. That is mostly due to using a normal trigger (which by the way is excellent) rather than a reverse trigger. I can understand why Jay did not want to use a reverse trigger previously as high forces on the sears of friction reverse triggers would be dramatically worse than the silky smooth trigger of the original Riffe. But these problems are now fixed and it simply doesn't make sense to not take advantage of modern design improvements.
I like the big footprint on my Riffe 120 Euro XET. I use this gun for freediving and scuba. I can reload a shaft and bands much faster on my big footprint Riffe then any reverse-trigger band-stretch maximized gun by a large margin. For my hunting, this outweighs any potential power loss. I'd rather reload significantly faster than shoot a tiny bit further.
Sea_Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 07:28 AM   #29
Marco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Tide View Post
That's exactly my opinion. I've never heard of a Riffe twisting. Thery're true workhorses.

A bad day fishing is ALWAYS better than a good day at work
Marco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2022, 08:04 PM   #30
popgun pete

Just received this recall notice for some Marauder models.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	riffe recall marauder.jpg
Views:	242
Size:	75.5 KB
ID:	248127