Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Florida Gulfcoast Spearfishing

Florida Gulfcoast Spearfishing Post here to discuss regional action or issues about spearing on Florida's Gulfcoast.

Old 08-13-2009, 04:44 PM   #46
HeadHunter
Dan MacMahon

Re: Bouncing

Just wanted to clarify something..the #14 picture of that big sink is 139 meters (not feet) deep. Had gotten a couple of PM's about diving it. It's probably 460 feet at the top edge....700-800 down in the hole. I should have switched the scope to feet before taking a picture.

Smart people realize they know very little.
Stupid people think they know everything.
HeadHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 06:02 PM   #47
Spear One
Retired Comm. Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadHunter View Post
Just wanted to clarify something..the #14 picture of that big sink is 139 meters (not feet) deep. Had gotten a couple of PM's about diving it. It's probably 460 feet at the top edge....700-800 down in the hole. I should have switched the scope to feet before taking a picture.
139 meters? That should thin out the number of folks who want to give it a look!

Manufactured By: Spearfishing Specialties (727)-548-7686

E-mail: oceanrhino@gmail.com Web: OceanRhino.com
Spear One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 06:51 PM   #48
FredT

That "drone" is a tail buoy, which provides GPS locations on the end of the streamer, The sound is coming from air powered "guns" (either made by my company Ion Geophysical or Bolt) that dump a scuba tank of 3000 psi air into the water over about 10 milliseconds. The "gun array" can have several dozen fired in sequence to give a low frequency sound wave at the desired direction. If you can see the main cable/gun boat it's probably best to stay out of the water there. At least put them over the horizon if you can. They generally run LONG lines at 5 knots, so it doesn't take them long to get out of the area. The guns will be within 200 yards of the stern of the cable ship, the active streamers can be up to 12 Km long, and a few operators are looking at towing longer ones. Bigger boats can deploy up to 20 streamers at once.
The chase boat is used to keep folks from crossing the cables with shrimp nets or props. That screws up both the seismic hardware and the boat that hits it.
FredT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 09:04 PM   #49
HeadHunter
Dan MacMahon

Thanks for that info FT....the captain of the ship stated they were pulling a 6 mile long cable at 4 knots.....and i agree with you totally that it is indeed best to stay out of the water while in close proximity to one of these operations.

Old 08-13-2009, 09:13 PM   #50
dagodiver
Wreck Diver

Awesome stuff as always.! Fantastic fish all around. Your fish pics are of course great but that sunset tanker pic is just cool as hell.
Why do all the fish look small when Moose is holding them.?

Dago.
Old 08-13-2009, 09:17 PM   #51
hughdog

Dan and Headhunter Team, I always look forward to your posts. Always well done and first class. Great fish as always. Keep it up.
thanks, H.
hughdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 06:31 AM   #52
kmoose
Team Headhunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagodiver View Post
Awesome stuff as always.! Fantastic fish all around. Your fish pics are of course great but that sunset tanker pic is just cool as hell.
Why do all the fish look small when Moose is holding them.?

Dago.
Hours of photoshop work are devoted to making my fish look smaller than everyones elses. Needless to say a few trips around the evening Headhunter buffet helps some too!
Old 08-14-2009, 10:18 AM   #53
Spear One
Retired Comm. Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmoose View Post
When Dan called to say my new Rhino Gun was in and ready to try out I just couldn’t wait to get it wet! I told Dan I wanted to try it out on something worth shooting at and he didn’t let me down as this trip was a ringer for sure.

Earlier this year I was fortunate enough to give an Ocean Rhino a try and scored a personal best dog snapper and several full stringers in the process. This gave me the confidence to commit to a trip with a new gun but I had no idea I would be subjected to full on dragon slaying on my first drop. First off, I left my old gun at home. I knew I would have to do this due to the fact it would be too easy to jump back to my old friend if things didn’t work out. No need for that…….. The first drop had me directly over a 40+ gag 20 ft. below me on the bottom…….not a shot I like to take, but I lined up anyway and let it fly……Thip! (That is the noise I describe the sound the Rhino makes when you let one go). Long story short, I stoned the gag and the next 4 fish I slung steel at. I set a personal best on a running mutton, shot big carbos, mangos and jacks with absolutely no issues……with the gun that is! Yeah, yeah I know this sounds like an infomercial for new gun, but I’m damn happy with it and that is big news as I hate change in things that I feel don’t likely improve such as golf clubs, spearguns and pocket knives. My take is that if you like and use a “production” speargun, you will love this gun. If you find a better one for the price…..buy it! Kevin did an excellent job on designing a speargun that far exceeds my capabilities as a shooter. I shoot better with it and that is not a fairy tale or a buyer’s pipe dream. ……Just fact.

Thanks Dan for another great trip and for dropping me off in the deep end of the pool. Sink or swim baby......sink or swim!
Thanks for the kind works Kenny. I have to admit I was a little surprised to hear you had such great success with a speargun you had never even shot before. Normally it takes at least a few trips to get "one" with a new speargun. Dan & Ricky showed me a few tips on how they liked their guns setup early in the development process and it clearly makes a big difference in performance. All Ocean Rhino spearguns are set up with the same specs as the HeadHunter guns.

Manufactured By: Spearfishing Specialties (727)-548-7686

E-mail: oceanrhino@gmail.com Web: OceanRhino.com
Spear One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 05:25 PM   #54
dagodiver
Wreck Diver

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmoose View Post
Hours of photoshop work are devoted to making my fish look smaller than everyones elses. Needless to say a few trips around the evening Headhunter buffet helps some too!
Haha got it. I can picture Dan standing at the rail tossing a hot dog to you while you are tossing a 50# carbo in the boat saying "good boy Moose go get another one". Always a joy to read HH reports.!

Dago.
Old 08-14-2009, 07:27 PM   #55
capt.randy

You don't have take any s t Moose You're still my hero
capt.randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 08:06 PM   #56
dagodiver
Wreck Diver

He aint taken no shit. All the respect to all of them and they know that.
Im not even qualified to wash the guts off the boat....

Dago.
Old 08-14-2009, 08:29 PM   #57
sharpshooter

It would be nice to have Fishkilla do a uw video of you guys in action sometime.
sharpshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 05:23 PM   #58
mcbas
Bon vivant, raconteur

Congrats Dan, Ricky, Kenny and Rich. Many, many incredible fish but those Muttons were simply outstanding! Well done guys!
Old 08-16-2009, 06:17 PM   #59
HeadHunter
Dan MacMahon

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagodiver View Post
He aint taken no shit. All the respect to all of them and they know that.
Im not even qualified to wash the guts off the boat....

Dago.
Ditto the respect right back at you Mike....You def make the top five list of people I haven't dove with that I'd like to dive with someday! And IMHO you're qualified to do just 'bout anything on any dive boat anywhere............

Yeah Maurice those were some Muttons weren't they...I guess I won't publicly mention the estimated 30 LB'er I saw that I never got a chance at. But now I know he's out there...gotta knock the Moose off the top of the Mutton catagory ya know.....

Old 08-16-2009, 08:14 PM   #60
Old Bateman

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharpshooter View Post
It would be nice to have Fishkilla do a uw video of you guys in action sometime.
I know Ben has wanted to do that for some time, but has been really busy filming TV shows and winning tournaments lately!
I happen to know for a fact that he was on the other end of the camera lens last week getting footage for some instructional DVD's. They didn't get the monsters that the HH team gets, but made up for it in numbers, most of which were stoned - with (of course) his new Ocean Rhino!

http://www.fishkillaproductions.com/#
Old Bateman is offline   Reply With Quote