Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > California Spearfishing

California Spearfishing Talk here about spearfishing on California's Pacific Coast, and post those reports and photos!

Old 06-21-2018, 04:37 PM   #1
Bob Ballew

Another Breakwater Battle Tonight?...

...By now, you know of my one-man battle against the Surfrider Club to prevent them from using political clout to tear down the local breakwater to create "better surfing waves" off Long Beach. This is environmental disaster in the worst form, disguised as an improvement.....
...Surfriders is meeting tonite at: Made by Millworks, 240 Pine Avenue, in downtown Long Beach, at 6:30 p.m. They don't like me much, but, I will be there to hand out leaflets and if I can, speak out loud and clear against such stupidity. The Army Corps of Engineers has the last word and will be there to give an update and hopefully, bring an end to this ill-conceived $300,000 (yes, taxpayer paid) survey/ project. City politicians will be there and I have a strong (re-election) message for them, as well....The meeting is open to the public (hint, hint)….

Postscript: Since this was a club meeting and members are for the most part, nice people with mis-guided but, good intentions, I elected to stay quietly in the background while the club and city officials gave a slide presentation update with questions permitted. Final decisions won't be made until public input and environmental studies are completed, sometime into late 2019. Interestingly, the Corp of Engineers is waffling and backing off from giving full support to removal of the breakwater..(my mailers to them, perhaps?)….I handed out my 5 page flyers to the city staff and all the older folks plus the Press-Telegram reporter....it turned out, one of the female staffers is a diver..... and, on it goes....

Last edited by Bob Ballew; 06-22-2018 at 12:13 AM.
Bob Ballew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 09:57 AM   #2
techspearo

Re: Another Breakwater Battle Tonight?...

Bob - can you share one of your leaflets online? I'm interested in hearing what damage removing the breakwall will do (not my area of expertise, but curious to learn more). Thanks!
Old 06-26-2018, 04:01 PM   #3
Bob Ballew

Will probably need some tech help from the wife or daughter due to dinosaur extinction syndrome but, will give it a shot...
Bob Ballew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 04:39 PM   #4
dushanbe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Ballew View Post
Will probably need some tech help from the wife or daughter due to dinosaur extinction syndrome but, will give it a shot...
Curious to know why you think removal of breakwater will be bad, right now Long Beach water is dirty and beach is unusable for swimming because water is stale

Now, how about your flyer?
dushanbe is offline   Reply With Quote