Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Miami and The Florida Keys

Miami and The Florida Keys Have a report, or want to discuss spearing in Miami or the Keys? Post here!

Old 05-31-2003, 06:55 PM   #1
Spearooo

Im in it for the pink

Did some solo freediving from the beach today. After spending and hour and a half trying to not te get run over by Waverunning Idiots i hit pay dirt. A hog and a mutton and no hassels with a boat at the end. I was about 300 yards out in about 20 feet. somewhere in SE florida
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	thething2.jpg
Views:	372
Size:	28.1 KB
ID:	2376  
Spearooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2003, 06:56 PM   #2
Spearooo

the catch

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	h&m.jpg
Views:	350
Size:	47.2 KB
ID:	2377  
Old 05-31-2003, 07:02 PM   #3
mushkee
Aguaji Killa...

damn...nice hog...for miami...was there any structure around the beach...or just sand...next week we gotta go out on my boat...
Old 05-31-2003, 09:04 PM   #4
kitefisherman
Spearboard Historian

Nice fish! Gotta give you credit! Better than I could have done from my beach (for fish)
kitefisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2003, 09:54 AM   #5
Rolo
Freediving Spearo

Spearoo,

You got some stones or you're crazy. SE Florida????? You were probably south of Haulover perhaps near the Sheraton Bayhaubor area. Can't imagine you were anywhere near S. Beach. I hope your dive flag was well visible, you are certainly putting your life at risk for two mid-size fish. Be careful.

P.S. Were there many onlookers once you got back to shore? You must of headed out very early to avoid the crowds, unless you were in a private area (Gold Coast).
Rolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2003, 11:04 AM   #6
Spearooo

beach

I was north of Hualover on a semi private beach we found, There are very few parking meters mostly condos and motels so the beach itself was not as crowded as youd expect and we lucked out and found one of the only meters down by the water rigth next to the shower, usually we are in for a nice walk down to the beach but yesterday was very nice. Usually there are at least a few curious onlookers but to my surprise there weren't any. I try to keep as low a profile as possible while on the shore to avoid any problems. I had a seperate flag that was very visible attached to my boggie board. you can't see it in the pic because it has a long ballast that hangs way bellow so it is tilted over once on the sand. Since I was alone I stayed btw. the first and second reef. There were hella boats so I didn't do many dives. I would mostly swim on the surface with the flag right next to me trying to spot the fish from above as aposed to trailing behind me and doing repeated dives. I would always keep a sharp ear for aproaching idiots a few times they got a bit close and I gave them and earfull. There were several boats anchored diving around there also. We got there at 1pm and left by a quarter to 3. I know there is huge risk involved but I rather take my chances on the risk than be killed on my commute on I95 everyday. I am aware of the danger and that is why I don't go if there is anything more than a light chop and I make sure to have a safety whistle, and signal mirrors and some water onboard. I also have a kayak but I need a buddie to use it and yesterday there were no takers so I decided to take my chances rather than have to spend all week at work wishing I had gone on the water. The reef looked super empty I was begining to think id go home empty handed as has happened before but patience paid when I posted up near some rocks for a last 15 minutes of waiting. I also saw a 150 tarpon in about 15 feet over sand. Sometimes solo or no go are the only options. Me and my fam had an unreal lunch by 4:30 i was grateful to neptune for letting me have a succesful afternoon. It was much more relaxing than being on the boat since there is so much more to do and sometimes the day still goes slow especially around here.
well report next dives next week. If all goes well ill be in the keys by thursday.
Old 06-01-2003, 04:21 PM   #7
Rolo
Freediving Spearo

Yeah, that area in and around of Haulover is usually pretty bare. There aren't too many fish around those shallow reefs, unless you go inshore towards Haulover beach where the fish is plentifull (if you know what I mean...). Anyhow, it's reassuring to see you took extra precautions.

Good luck in the keys! Don't kill all the fish, I'll be in and around the Duck Key area the weekend of the 20th. Will probably dive Tennessee to try my luck.

Last edited by RJVeloso; 06-01-2003 at 08:42 PM.
Rolo is offline   Reply With Quote