Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Recipe Corner > Recipes Here!

Recipes Here! Here's your little corner to demonstrate your culinary skills.

Old 08-05-2018, 04:20 PM   #1
grey2112

Oriental fish "stir fry" with Sesame Noodles

I usually only batter dip and fry mangrove snapper for fish tacos, very occasionally will blacken it - but it is a bit fishy for me any other way. Well, I knocked it out of the park with this recipe - the marinade really helps, and I'm sure this could be used with ANY fish, regardless of "fishiness". Enjoy!

Sesame, Garlic, and Ginger Fish

Ingredients:

1 pound fresh fish fillets (I use mangrove snapper, hogfish, grunt, sheepshead, lionfish, etc.) - cut into about 1 inch x 2 inch pieces.

1 Tablespoon rice wine (mirin)

3 Tablespoons soy sauce, faux soy sauce, or combination

1 Teaspoon dark brown sugar

1/4 Teaspoon turmeric

1 Teaspoon sesame oil

4 cloves garlic, minced

1 medium sized ginger root, minced (about 1.5 Tablespoons)

1-2 Tablespoons vegetable oil (Peanut is good)

2-3 green onions, sliced fine - or chives

Directions:

Pat fish dry with paper towels.

Combine all ingredients in a bowl except the vegetable oil and onions. Put fish pieces into ziplock bag and pour marinade on top. Close bag. Massage pieces and place in refrigerator for 30 minutes.

Heat oil in frying pan (medium high heat) until shimmering. Remove fish from marinade and fry until lightly browned on both sides.

Add any remaining marinade to the pan and simmer the fish, turning once or twice to coat, until fully cooked through and glazed with the sauce.

Add onions or chives.

Toss with steamed oriental vegetables (carrots, water chestnuts, broccoli is great) and serve with sesame noodles.

Simple Sesame Noodles

Package of spaghetti (regular is fine)
1/4 cup soy sauce or faux soy sauce, or half each
1/4 cup peanut oil
3 Tablespoons sesame oil
2 Tablespoons sugar
2 Tablespoons rice vinegar (Mirin)
4 cloves garlic, minced
4 green onions, thinly sliced or equivalent of chives
1 Teaspoon Chinese 5-spice
1 Teaspoon Kosher salt (do not use if you are using real soy sauce or it will be too salty)
1/2 Teaspoon hot chili oil, or red pepper powder (optional)

Directions:

Cook noodles until al dente.

Meanwhile, whisk together the soy sauce, peanut oil, sesame oil, sugar, vinegar, chili oil/powder (if using), garlic, salt, and 5-spice in a bowl. Taste and adjust as needed.

Drain noodles. Put noodles in large mixing bowl, pour sauce over the warm noodles and toss to coat. Sprinkle with the green onions or chives and toss.

You can also garnish with chopped peanuts, or even add 1/4 cup of warmed smooth peanut butter to the sauce mix.
grey2112 is offline   Reply With Quote