Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > California Spearfishing

California Spearfishing Talk here about spearfishing on California's Pacific Coast, and post those reports and photos!

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 10-23-2011, 01:30 AM   #1
UCLA_Spearo
Eric

Baja on 2wd????

I'm doing a trip down to Baja in 3 weeks, staying down there for 12+ days. We plan on surfing and diving(depending on conditions) along the Pacific side for the first half, then diving the Cortes side after that. We'll be in a 2WD Tacoma, and I'm looking for advice on spots we can hit with relative ease, and spots we shouldn't attempt.

Thanks, Eric
UCLA_Spearo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 02:03 AM   #2
ForrestG
World Traveler

Re: Baja on 2wd????

depends how far down your willing to go.
But if your staying in the North, id suggest Gonzaga bay (cortez side) which is fine on a 2WD if you approach from the Pacific side and dont try go down from San Felipe.
Otherwise if your looking for a little more civilization go to BAy LA, no need for any 4wd there, and there plenty of pangueros to take you out diving.
good luck, looking forward to the report.
Old 10-23-2011, 02:03 AM   #3
ForrestG
World Traveler

But if your staying in the North, id suggest Gonzaga bay (cortez side) which is fine on a 2WD if you approach from the Pacific side and dont try go down from San Felipe.
Otherwise if your looking for a little more civilization go to BAy LA, no need for any 4wd there, and there plenty of pangueros to take you out diving.
Old 10-23-2011, 02:24 AM   #4
miguelitro
Me llamo Mike Candra

bahia asuncion
Old 10-23-2011, 08:29 AM   #5
jsdoorly

In my limited experience surfing north and south baja, 4x4 isn't really necessary unless you make a bad decision. If there is any chance of rain though, DO NOT GO! More important than 4x4 would be spare tire(s), possible extra gas can, and plenty of ice to keep beer cold. Travel as light as possible. There are plenty of places for food, beer, etc. along the way.
Old 10-23-2011, 08:45 AM   #6
jdaltonscheurn

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
If I can do it in a sonada you can do it in a tacoma. Our issue was we were weighted down with gear so we had to go slow on a few sketchy parts. stay on the beaten path and you will be fine. We got stuck once due to going off road.
jdaltonscheurn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 11:23 AM   #7
rojodiablo
My spawn kills on....

You can go as far as you want..... my suggestions are to make sure you have GOOD tires. Bring a small shovel; HD has them for $11. Bring empty sand bags, usually 6-10 of them. I know some tricks......hit me up.
I have yet to see a road that led to a dive spot that we could not do on 2wd.
Old 10-23-2011, 12:05 PM   #8
ddonnell
Davis Donnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForrestG View Post
Why do you say to approach Gonzaga from the Pacific side? They are almost completed with the road from San Felipe south and there are only a few more miles to go to Gonzaga, all of which are paved.

Just want to hear why....

Gonzaga is great. My avatar is one of many reasons...
Old 10-23-2011, 01:01 PM   #9
zax

There is an amazing little village between SJD and La Paz, called Los Barriles. Amazing spearfishing spots, especially Punta Pescadero 8 Miles north of Barriles. I stayed in Los Barriles for 1 year in 2006, one of the best year of my life. Super clean water, visibility infinity, lots of fish, very friendly people. Offshore there is tuna, huge marlin, dorados if you desire that, I did shore and reef dives mostly for parrot fish, trigger fish and others. Tacoma will be fine. Good luck and enjoy Baja.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UCLA_Spearo View Post
I'm doing a trip down to Baja in 3 weeks, staying down there for 12+ days. We plan on surfing and diving(depending on conditions) along the Pacific side for the first half, then diving the Cortes side after that. We'll be in a 2WD Tacoma, and I'm looking for advice on spots we can hit with relative ease, and spots we shouldn't attempt.

Thanks, Eric
zax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 02:04 PM   #10
UCLA_Spearo
Eric

We plan on making it to La Paz or further, staying relatively close to the 1 unless another route is recommended.

How many spare tires would you guys consider?

How many/what size gas cans? I have roughly a 320 mile range on my truck.

Is there anywhere I could find the current gas prices along the way?
Old 10-23-2011, 04:05 PM   #11
ddonnell
Davis Donnell

We plan on making it to La Paz or further, staying relatively close to the 1 unless another route is recommended.
Try getting off the path a bit. Punta Abreojos for surfing is killer. PM me for some spots there..

How many spare tires would you guys consider?
Two is best, but one you can usually get by, unless you are going all off-road.

How many/what size gas cans? I have roughly a 320 mile range on my truck.
320 is a decent range. Consider another 5 gallon can just for safe measure. Fill it in the states with good gas and don't use it even if there are gas stations in your vicinity. They often run out....

Is there anywhere I could find the current gas prices along the way?
I believe all Pemex stations are the same. Last week gas was around 9.80/L (pesos)
Old 10-23-2011, 05:52 PM   #12
UCLA_Spearo
Eric

We'll definitely be going off the 1, just not 200 mile excursions for a single dive or surf spot, especially if we have to backtrack to get back to the highway.

You think Abreojos will pick up any of the north swells? How is the road from Bahia Asuncion down to Abreojos?
Old 10-23-2011, 06:31 PM   #13
miguelitro
Me llamo Mike Candra

dirt but doable. there are a ton of fish in asuncion right now. i'm going next month.
Old 10-23-2011, 06:50 PM   #14
the bodj
sardine slayer

i hate how often you go to baja mike. take meeeee. well take out the trucks a bit!
the bodj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 07:12 PM   #15
zenspearo

24 X 24 3/4" plywood. take a few as traction pads and that will get you out of most situations.

A used pc of carpet doesn't hurt. And a 12V tire inflator. Spare tires are great. So is a shovel.

I'd drop by one of those used tire stores and get 2 extras for $20 each. Nothing fancy--you only need these as emergencies when your own spare tire is kaput as well.

But seriously, I doubt you'll get into any situations that can't be solved by lowering tire pressure and drive right off.

Most Mexicans don't own 4x4. They go all over the place--no problem.

Please generalize the LOCATION/TIME of your spearing reports.
zenspearo is offline   Reply With Quote