Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > California Spearfishing

California Spearfishing Talk here about spearfishing on California's Pacific Coast, and post those reports and photos!

Old 06-08-2012, 06:44 PM   #1
jsdoorly

Aggresive Sea lion experiences

Obviously this topic has been covered before.

Yesterday i was h&L at the coronados and had a nice 30 lb class yellow 4 ft from the boat when a massive male sea lion took the fish, broke my pole in 3 places, and sent a section of the pole into my finger (i'll live). The sea lions were messing with the whole fleet yesterday as was noted on the fish report.

As a predominant spearfisher, i was interested to hear any similiar spearfish stories. I learned alot from the encounter h&l and think any spearfish advice could not only help someone land a fish but possibly save a life. I had my spear gear with me but would be reluctant to engage when the sea lions are so aggressive.

josh
Old 06-08-2012, 06:58 PM   #2
Bill McIntyre

Re: Aggresive Sea lion experiences

One of the more startling sea lion experiences I've seen occurred at San Clemente Island. My buddy shot a big yellowtail and was cleaning it on the swimstep. A big bull sea lion took it right out of his hands.
Bill McIntyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 07:03 PM   #3
kwtony
Snorkel Master

I thought sea lion season just opened
kwtony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 07:12 PM   #4
jsdoorly

Seems that the word to come to mind is "shotgun" when these bastards are about. Even my mother in law gave me this advice.
Old 06-08-2012, 08:09 PM   #5
woodscovehunter

I was in shaws cove last year alone (my bro was on the beach) and out of the blue a decent size (either a big female or adolescent male) out of the blue sunk its teeth in my ankle, and I still have a scar on my foot. never heard of this ever happening at any other time. I have had others tug on my fins and follow me around, so it was probably playing and bit too hard.
woodscovehunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 08:49 PM   #6
SpearoTastic
Homebound Spearo

About 30 years ago, I fished for barracuda in King Harbor using a skiff. I would freespool the knife jig down to the bottom, lock up the reel, then start to row, with the rod and reel between my legs. I would count how many strokes until a fish hit. Once I located the school I would do the same thing, but pull in the oars after that many strokes. I caught many fish this way and had a great time doing it.

I started to lose fish to "something" underwater. I would have a great fight going and then the line would peel off against the drag, then go limp, making me think the fish broke off. After I started to reel in, I would feel my lure there. At first, this would happen occasionally, then is started to increase in frequency. Finally, the culprit showed itself. A juvenile harbor seal popped up to see what happened to the fish, after I cranked one in under a tight drag as fast as I could. It now became a game between us to see if I could boat the fish.

I decided I was going to teach this seal a lesson. I had a securely hooked fish on and reeled it in within a foot of the rod tip. The seal popped up about 15 feet away. I dragged the fish around the surface in a figure-8. The seal watched intently, then took a breath and submerged. I was at a heightened state and kept a sharp eye out. I saw him coming up from below and pulled that fish off the water with my 8-1/2 foot rod as high as I could go. The seal shot out of the water, matching my rod's speed. It then, deftly, grabbed the fish, making sure to avoid the treble hook from my jig, and dove back down. Lucky for me the hooks ripped right out of the fishes mouth, keeping my rod from breaking.

Lesson learned.

Simplicity is the highest form of sophistication. Leonardo Da Vinci

Vegetarian - that's an old Indian word meaning "lousy hunter". - Andy Rooney

Start children off on the way they should go, and even when they are old they will not turn from it. - Proverbs 22:6 (NIV)

KEEP CALM AND CHIVE ON
SpearoTastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 10:47 PM   #7
unkabonka

Shoot them.
unkabonka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 10:56 PM   #8
freeride
Joe

Had a small one bite me in the ass when I first moved to CA. Also had one jump in my boat a refuse to get out of the cabin at Catalina. I took some pictures of me feeding some sealions baitfish out of my mouth off of the green peir at Cat. This was also when I first moved here. When I look back at those photos now it seems like a bad idea.
Old 06-09-2012, 12:39 AM   #9
woodscovehunter

and a lot of people say "kill them" or "stab it with your gun" but California's really bad, its a crime to do anything that "breaks the skin or injures any marine mammal" my buddy found this out the hard way when he was pushing one off his dads dock with a paddle, harbor patrol chewed him out.
woodscovehunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 12:54 AM   #10
HeadlessHunter

Had a Seal at the Nados take two YT from me off my shaft from separate shots. We would battle to catch the fish first, he would grab onto the fish and rip it right off the shaft. The second time I came close to getting the fish first, but in the wrestle knocked my weight belt off with my elbow. Not cool.

A friend of a friend trains them at the local water park. One randomly nipped her on the leg and opened it right up.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Kelly.jpg
Views:	340
Size:	37.9 KB
ID:	173415  
HeadlessHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 02:21 AM   #11
phil herranen

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodscovehunter View Post
and a lot of people say "kill them" or "stab it with your gun" but California's really bad, its a crime to do anything that "breaks the skin or injures any marine mammal" my buddy found this out the hard way when he was pushing one off his dads dock with a paddle, harbor patrol chewed him out.
you can protect yourself at anytime , against any animal . pushing a furbag off the dock is not the same as having a 800# lumphead that wont let you get back to the boat at cortez in a stiff current, i have been there and had to make that choice .
phil

frv owners discount http://spearboard.com/showthread.php?t=134606
phil herranen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 05:18 AM   #12
Master-Blaster
Bottom Dweller

One of the homies got chewed up pretty good. He posted these pics a while back on FB. He had another interesting encounter one day where he got into a dogfight underwater with a knothead over a 50 lb fish that sounded very very dangerous. Maybe he will chime in and tell the story, its one of the better ones I have heard.

I have been harassed quite a bit on night dives, and i usually just shine the light in the dogs eyes untill it get irritated and leaves, if that doesnt work i just dive another spot. Out at the islands its different, especially the Nados. If you want your fish, you have to stand your ground. If it involves a dive knife, so be it. If you have to use your gun to protect yourself, take the sliptip off and deliver a good blunt impact to the chest or ribs, it seems to deter them.

I do not condone this, but I have heard that if you shoot a seal with a powerhead every seal in the island will haul out and want nothing to do with you, no matter how many dead fish you have in the water.
Master-Blaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 09:31 AM   #13
Calif_Diver

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsdoorly View Post
Seems that the word to come to mind is "shotgun" when these bastards are about. Even my mother in law gave me this advice.
A guy in Sacramento did that(shotgun0 to a sea lion), i'm sure he isn't going to like his 30 days in jail and $51 k fine though.
Calif_Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 10:14 AM   #14
ocean_314

Harbor seals are the problem when i dive for crabs. They come right underneath me, only a couple of feet away to see what i am digging out of the sand.

I punch them, they come that close, to get rid of them. I have a pulled muscle in my neck as i type form punching a seal while diving for crab the other day...

I have also had the newly weaned ones try to take ling cod right off my stringer a couple of times.
ocean_314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 01:00 PM   #15
rojodiablo
My spawn kills on....

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsdoorly View Post
Shotgun on your boat in Mexican waters. Proceed at your own risk.......

There are ways to fix that issue, but they won't let us play "Cowboys and sea lions."