Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Pacific Northwest

Pacific Northwest Tell us about hunting in the PNW here!

Old 06-03-2014, 11:19 PM   #1
Transporter
Ian Elstrom

Norcal ab dive

Technically I guess this should be in the California section but since I live here now I'll post for you guys. I had to drive down to Ca last week to sell off my boat so I figured I'd make a quick stop at Caspar on the way back up for some abs. On Sunday conditions looked terrible from shore but we kicked out anyway and were surprised to find good viz on the bottom even with the good sized swell and wind chop. Got myself two limits of 9" abs (okay 2 were slightly under but the average was over 9).

We spent the night at the campground right across the road from the beach and I dove again on Monday morning so I could grab another limit before we hit the road. It was glassy in the morning and even though the swell was still decent sized I could see the yellow handle of my ab iron on the bottom at 28' and I could clearly see at least 15' or so.

For anyone that hasn't tried them I'd highly recommend taking advantage of the good viz while it's here and make the "quick" 9 hour drive down to Mendocino County. The viz looked great along the entire Norcal coastline on the drive back up so might be a good time to hit up the Southern Oregon Coast also?
Attached Files
File Type: pdf IMG_2041.pdf (684.5 KB, 164 views)
File Type: pdf IMG_2047.pdf (1.59 MB, 146 views)
Old 06-03-2014, 11:37 PM   #2
North Star
Max

Re: Norcal ab dive

9" abs are really nice ones - lots of meat! Glad you were able to get some adequate vis - diving for abs is a ton of fun. I've been to Caspar and it is a great place to dive.
Old 06-04-2014, 09:45 AM   #3
Transporter
Ian Elstrom

Here's a better post of my pics. I'm obviously terrible at this. What software does everyone else use to resize their pics to fit the Spearboard limit of 148kb?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2041 40.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	139.0 KB
ID:	206421   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2047 18.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	129.2 KB
ID:	206422  
Old 06-04-2014, 12:33 PM   #4
North Star
Max

Ian - I just put my photos on Photobucket (I have a free account there that is dedicated solely to Spearboard pictures) size them all to 640x480, and just put the IMG code in the Spearboard post, and the photo shows up full size.

It is way easier than trying to upload them to Spearboard's site.
Old 06-04-2014, 01:28 PM   #5
MikePierce170

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transporter View Post
Here's a better post of my pics. I'm obviously terrible at this. What software does everyone else use to resize their pics to fit the Spearboard limit of 148kb?
If the pictures don't come out like you want I use off site image hosting services like tinypic.com. Max already mentioned photobucket. But you can imbed the pictures into your post pretty easy.

I need to go ab diving too. I REALLY miss hunting for those things
MikePierce170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 11:08 PM   #6
searun
Shawn

Man I want to get some abs really bad. We had planned a trip down there in late June but the two guys planning the trip look to be canceling it.

Any NW guys want to journey down there after the 19th?

Shawn
Old 06-05-2014, 11:22 PM   #7
Tewills
D'ocean's my refrigerator

What's the possession limit for Red Abs in Mendocino County?
Old 06-06-2014, 11:06 AM   #8
jjjjeremy

Norcal ab dive

Daily limit is three. You better have had a non diver with you to gift your first limit of abalone. Total in possession is three per person. MAJOR violation.

Also, why are they out of the shell? You can't remove abalone from the shell until right before you eat them. Another MAJOR violation. Know the regs before you go out.
jjjjeremy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 04:06 PM   #9
winklecl
Lord O' Cabezon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjjjeremy View Post
Daily limit is three. You better have had a non diver with you to gift your first limit of abalone. Total in possession is three per person. MAJOR violation.

Also, why are they out of the shell? You can't remove abalone from the shell until right before you eat them. Another MAJOR violation. Know the regs before you go out.
MAJOR hostility. I believe I speak for all that the California section drama is unwanted here.

You do not know the details involved. Perhaps you'd like to inquire before jumping to conclusions? PMing the party involved may work well. I will point out that he stated there were multiple people in his party. And no where was it stated whether the abalone had been consumed or not prior to taking a picture of the shells. For all you know that picture could have been in his backyard days after all had been eaten.

If you feel it necessary to educate this section on California abalone regulations perhaps you should start your own thread?
winklecl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 04:22 PM   #10
jjjjeremy

Quote:
Originally Posted by winklecl View Post
MAJOR hostility. I believe I speak for all that the California section drama is unwanted here.

You do not know the details involved. Perhaps you'd like to inquire before jumping to conclusions? PMing the party involved may work well. I will point out that he stated there were multiple people in his party. And no where was it stated whether the abalone had been consumed or not prior to taking a picture of the shells. For all you know that picture could have been in his backyard days after all had been eaten.

If you feel it necessary to educate this section on California abalone regulations perhaps you should start your own thread?
Having more than three abalone in possession and taking abalone out of the shell before immediate consumption is breaking the law and needs to be addressed. Airing it out the details publicly gives others the opportunity to learn if they come across this thread in the future.

Someone asked what the bag limit was, so there is some confusion already. I didn't say that this individual diver had broken the law. For his sake, I hope not. As a community, we need to ensure that our all of our participants are well-informed. Allowing potential regulation violations to be flaunted publicly gives non-sportsman more ammunition to limit the activities we love.
jjjjeremy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 09:54 PM   #11
pswenson

Jeremy, if you know beyond a shadow of a doubt and have proof that this is an instance preparing abalone illegally, please call the CDGF or the ODFW and tell them that we have a crisis on our hands.
If you have no proof, and only speculations based on two pictures and a brief story, please stop slandering this guys awesome catch, that he was selfless enough to take pictures of and post for us! Also stop hiding behind the excuse that "this is just info for the people that don't know". The regs are right there online, and at every store you buy tags/licenses from. Lord help the person that comes to spearboard looking for regulation answers anyway. These kind of arguments are what drive people away from sharing about their passion for diving, and make it generally less fun for the rest of us.
cheers

Last edited by pswenson; 06-06-2014 at 10:05 PM.
pswenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 10:51 PM   #12
MikePierce170

Hahaha. I'm with winklecl and pswenson. You need to calm the fuŠk down dude. Jumping to conclusions and being a jackass aren't going to win you any friends here.
MikePierce170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 01:28 AM   #13
diver pat

jjjjjjjjjjjjeremy are you for real? The guy isn't poaching, and as they say, you have no proof he didn't follow the rules. Lighten up. I imagine those abs tasted great! You need to watch out for trolls from south of the border I guess.
Our NZ abs aren't a patch on yours to eat, but the shells are prettier, and we are allowed 10 per day. The shells are prettier too.
diver pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 11:55 AM   #14
Tewills
D'ocean's my refrigerator

What's the possession limit in Oregon? I know there are NO abs in Oregon, but just incase a handful ride the tide up here...

Last edited by Tewills; 06-07-2014 at 02:36 PM.
Tewills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 05:15 PM   #15
cchen
Cliff

Lol I see why you never liked posting in the cali section Ian...

In oregon it's 1 per day. 5 a year.
cchen is offline   Reply With Quote