Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Pacific Northwest

Pacific Northwest Tell us about hunting in the PNW here!

Old 08-29-2014, 06:04 PM   #16
winklecl
Lord O' Cabezon

Re: Holding breath = brain damage?

Wow, I'm super excited to see you guys are talking about neuroscience! I never though I'd get to comment on a post concerning two of my most favorite topics.

Fear not Josh and Steep, this is an active area of study. Another paper was published the beginning of this year showing similar results to the 2009 paper you cited but this time included swimming during apnea. They looked at a longer-lived marker of neuron damage (neuron-specific enolase or NSE) and founded it was elevated 3hrs post apnea. So the data fits nicely with the first paper. They also looked at S100B(B=beta) but it was unchanged at the 3hr point which likely means they missed it.

All this being said you have to remember these are transient changes of a "biomarker" as Steep posted. I.E. they give you an indication that those cells (neurons, glia and brain blood vessels) are under some kind of stress. Well you know what else can increase S100B in the blood?

How about a 10K jog? That caused a 92% increase. How about a 25K race? 388% increase. Well above the 167% published in the apnea study. The 25K race actually elevated S100B MORE than a bout of competitive boxing (think of all the hits to the head AND the exertion). Tell me that running isn't something we have evolved to do. So my point is our bodies have adapted ways to deal with this stress.

Does that mean that long periods of apnea are safe? I can't answer that, but I don't think they're any worse than running a long race. Plus the control group in the original study (i.e. people with less than 5 min breath holds) never had S100B level become elevated. Therefore, I'm confident my less than impressive breath hold while shooting a delicious, nutritious fish poses less danger to my long-term health than sitting on the couch eating bags of potato chips.

Oh and If you're bored, I attached the actual paper that was first brought up plus the recent study and a review of S100B in exercise where I got my information of running.

Now where are those potato chips?
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 809.full.pdf (253.0 KB, 288 views)
File Type: pdf sms12309.pdf (124.7 KB, 296 views)
File Type: pdf art_10.1007_s40279-013-0119-9.pdf (450.5 KB, 357 views)

Last edited by winklecl; 08-29-2014 at 09:41 PM.
winklecl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 06:10 PM   #17
steepNdeep
Wet spears

Quote:
Originally Posted by winklecl View Post
How about a 10K jog? That caused a 92% increase. How about a 25K race? 388% increase. Well above the 167% published in the apnea study. The 25K race actually elevated S100B MORE than a bout of competitive boxing (think of all the hits to the head AND the exertion). Tell me that running isn't something we have evolved to do. So my point is our bodies have adapted ways to deal with this stress.
Thanks Winklecl! I'm glad that there's been more study & let me know if you learn of any more. I had downloaded the orig. paper, but still haven't read it yet... That's interesting that other activities increase the same biomarker. Safe divin' boys!
steepNdeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 12:54 AM   #18
No I'm Josh
Sculpin Slayer

Thanks Clayton, thanks Dean.